• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ignorant cheap people...this is driving me nuts!!!

signmeup

Here's the thing. Based on hundred's of similar experiences posted in signs101.com, and that I hear early-on from sign companies in my consulting practice... This is predictable behaviour from (I'll hazard a guess) 80% of prospective customers.

When you think about it, can't most things that are predictable in business be managed?

You can blame customers. You can get angry and frustrated. You can vent and complain. But none of that will change their behaviour. To manage the situation, you have to change your own behaviour. Ask yourself "What could I have done differently?".

The guy stops you and asks you for an Alupanel "for sale" sign. So that's what you quoted him on. You let him control your sales process - by not asking questions that would further qualify the opportunity:

Eg.

• "Why Alupanel?"
  • "How long do you expect this for sale sign to be in service?"
  • "What's your budget for the project?"
Had you further qualified the opportunity, I'm willing to bet you might have proposed a similar solution to the one he purchased from your competitor.
I fully agree Jon. I wasn't angry at the customer. I blew it.
Although he did specifically tell me he didn't want coro. He figured he could re-use the signs over the years if they were good quality. You just can't win them all but it probably would have gone a lot better if I had him drop by my shop to talk over some options for the job. As has been mentioned in this post several times...he had zero invested in the process.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I have noticed the term "wrap" has become more generic in its meaning describing vehicle graphics. I frequently have customers request wrap quotes, but they were really just looking for standard vinyl lettering. Are you sure you are all on the same page as to the type of work requested? Also, since you did not ask for his phone number, that is indicative that you are not asking enough questions in scoping out the job inquiry.

PRECISELY! IF you can get them to show you something of an idea they had for their vehicle (rarely happens) you find out they are only envisioning die cut vinyl on the side and maybe thier back window perfed.
But it's like pulling teeth to get what they want outta them.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
those Mofcker......i have been telling you guys all the same siht....they just do it to make payment on the printers & equipment. i have seen many bastar ds here in the socal area selling those price. everything is HALF the price i quote them. i dont understand how the fck they are doing it.

There are a lot of "Cheap" install crews that tag-team wraps for shops all the time. Like a pack of freinds or brothers, knock it out in an 8 hour day or less and go home and crack the 12 pack and split the $800. The Printer barely lifts a finger and still get's a few hundred out of it AND get's to put the photos in his gallery on his site. BOoooooo

CentralSigns

And then came the Frod wraps, and Lo-one Certified. @ $2 per square foot and you will get 500 of them. This was stated a few days ago in another thread.

MITCHATEXOTIC

p's principle hmmm

The basis for all of the above discussion is in the presentation.

No one is using the "P's" principle.

Pivot, Profile, present
I have always heard that as the 7 p's of production.....piss poor planning produces piss poor product(or profits)

iSign Wraps

I have dealing sith this for years.

The first thing is I decided was to not price over the phone. 9 times out of ten if they call for just a price it is another sign shop price hunting because they don't know how or want to beat your price. I tell them up front to bring the vehicle so I can give them an exact quote. Most common answer is I will bring it by tomorrow and hang up before you can get a name and number. The guys shopping for that cheap wrap with no artwork... I tell them what they will get for that kind of money and send them to the hack shop that is wrapping for $5 a sqr. ft. That will help that shop go broke faster so they will close their doors and go away. Personally I like a little competition from a good shop that I have respect for but I will flip burgers before I will wrap for $5 a foot. For the hacks doing $5 wraps, learn how to do it right or don't do it at all.

:Oops: double post...

iSign Wraps

Been dealing with this for years.

Ok. First off...this whole getting outbid thing has been discussed a bunch around here. But I got another one for ya. Guy calls me yesterday on my cell out of the clear blue. Got my number from another good friend of mine. How close these two are, no idea. Any way he asks me about wrapping a Sprinter w/the high roof, but he says it's the normal length. No problem. Full? Half? Windows? etc, etc. Go through the part about the entire process. "Ya I'll drive to your place to do it as long as its inside." (max an hour away) Tell him not sure about square footage off the top of my head and that I'm out of the office. Tell him $2400 for a normal Ford/Chevy van, but I think the Sprinter is more. He seems shocked but says he'll send over a logo and his contact info via email and let's talk tomorrow (which is today). By the time I'm back in my office it's almost 6pm. I'm returning emails, going through voice mails, etc. I remember to look up a Sprinter. It's 300sqft+, thank God I told him it was an approximate number and I'd have a better figure tomorrow. So this morning I call him. He's got this little attitude in his voice right off the bat. Like he sees the caller ID and it upset him I had the nerve to call back. Before I can say good morning he says he called another place and they were $1700 and he's going with them. (HOLY S%$T I think). I tell him I actually called to let him know it was going to be $3000. He says sorry, got to go with this other guy. With the attitude he's dishing out I let him have the polite FU sales pitch...(probably not the smartest move, but hey, I'd already lost the job anyway plus he's an hour away). I tell him "Good luck with that other company. See if they're around in a year because when the channels are lifting, and the wraps failing don't call...." he hung up on me.

My question is. Who in their right friggen mind would wrap a Sprinter for less than $5 a sq ft?

This whole thing is getting unreal. Just last week I had a guy call me and asked if I priced match. I guess...never been asked that, sure let me give it shot...give it to me. Ford Ranger with a shell for $800 no roof. Seriously. Up yours. Again, layed into the whole FU sales pitch, except this guy started to understand my point. Still lost the job, but hey if I can at least educate someone about this stuff I won a small battle....I think anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. Especially to people that know what I'm talking about.

The first thing is I decided was to not price over the phone. 9 times out of ten if they call for just a price it is another sign shop price hunting because they don't know how or want to beat your price. I tell them up front to bring the vehicle so I can give them an exact quote. Most common answer is I will bring it by tomorrow and hang up before you can get a name and number. The guys shopping for that cheap wrap with no artwork... I tell them what they will get for that kind of money and send them to the hack shop that is wrapping for $5 a sqr. ft. That will help that shop go broke faster so they will close their doors and go away. Personally I like a little competition from a good shop that I have respect for but I will flip burgers before I will wrap for $5 a foot. For the hacks doing $5 wraps, learn how to do it right or don't do it at all.