• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ignorant cheap people...this is driving me nuts!!!

Techman

What I dont understand is why the mods dont catch all this cussing codes...

Because he typed so the filters don't catch them all. It obvious when they do this they intend to overcome the filters..

Techman

The basis for all of the above discussion is in the presentation.

No one is using the "P's" principle.

Pivot, Profile, present

sardocs

What I don't understand is how someone who can't speak or write without using profanity would even think they should be worth more than bottom dollar.

QualitySigns

My rule in this regard is simple: Never, ever give ballpark prices - on the phone, in person, via e-mail - never. I tell my customers that it depends on what they would like to see on their sign; let's talk about that first. I then begin asking questions. In the process I make it clear that neither of us likes surprises, therefore let's base the price on an actual design not guesswork, etc., etc., blah, blah - you get the picture. No ballparks!

Oh, and by the way, I would lose the FU sales pitch; you have no idea how many people those customers may influence.

stickasteve

The economy has people doing crazy things. People aren't themselves adn most are starting businesses because they lost their regular jobs. It takes a skill or talent to start a concept for a business, then intelligence and inspiration to get it started, then hard work, extreme resilliance, determination and a lot of money to keep it going. A person who is missing a few of those has to either hire people to fill those spots, or will not make it in business so they call us because we are a phenominal way to advertise. Wraps and lettering andf the internet are taking over advertising. You can't blame people for being ignorant. Blame society and the media. Most people are uneducated and closed minded. Those are pennysaver shoppers and not worth a talented, profitable, educated businesses time. You put your time out there for customers, they have to trust you will do the right job and the right thing.

We as sign/wrap businesses have the right to be a step above sign shops of the past. We put countless hours into art and don't get paid nearly what we should. Economy has a LOT to do with that.

rambo555

5$ is not even worth getting my large hinder out of bed for. I hate to say it, but these people likely think they are doing themselves a favor. I once did a wrap for my best friend. I only charged him the cost of the material and supplies. I only would do that for my family and very close friends. What he doesn't know is that it was my first bug I had wrapped (and hopefully last one). Even with the cheapest materials, I wouldn't be able to keep my doors open.

k6media

You know what it probably was in the end. Someone describing to you what they were looking for as a "wrap" and really they don't truly understand what a wrap is. So you are quoting on full graphics covering the entire vehicle in full colour, and your competitor is doing potentially just vinyl graphics or a combination of print and digital.

I find a lot of times I am that off on an estimate is that we aren't comparing apples to apples and that is where the dramatic different is.

If however they are charging $1700 for a sprinter.. well then they aren't very bright...

zapblam

Ever shop around for the cheaper price on wraping film and oedered from there instead? Ever seek the best price for the digital printer you decided to buy and went with that? Ever find a way better on sign white lexan and went with that? Cant blame the customer for shopping around. We all do it. I do agree that it is the under cut businesses that create this environment. Just stick to your prices and dont become an undercutter yourself. Unless it lands you a bigger contract.

btropical.com

Got my number from another good friend of mine <<<<<<<<<<<<< tell friend to give out my shop phone number from now on and ""Thanks for Nothing ""

mark galoob

you know, its a totally different world we live in now and all the rules of business are evolving into something totally different than we are used to. if you want to survive then you must evolve with it.

whats wrong w/ taking a few jobs here and there at less profit. look at walmart. those guys are huge and they make very little profit on each item.

my point is you dont have to give away the shop, but you also have to be realistic specifically in this market. if your stuck on the past and the glory of the past and refuse to evolve, the smart shops who have several profit centers, some of them produce higher profit % than others but all produce something, even if it is just to cover a machine sitting idle, is not stupid, its smart business. maybe those guys are giving wraps away at low profit and have other stuff they do that makes bank?

ps i also understand you get what you pay for, and usually the lower cost jobs stink. i see them all the time and laugh at them cause they totally wasted their $$$$ on a wrap that does not work...

mark galoob

mgieske

Assuming this prospect truly knows what a wrap is- I'm surprised your chasing? Sounds like you're busy enough to dismiss this guy. I would.

Techman

look at walmart. those guys are huge and they make very little profit on each item.

Not a good analogy at all. Walmart is a discounter selling commodities..

Wraps are not a discountable item. They are not commodities. they are a high cost item made by large amounts of labor and expensive machinery. They are not in the commodity arena even though too may are selling them as such just to pay for the machines. Very false economy.
Those who price them as commodities are selling themselves way too short. And, they are setting low bench marks for the entire industry.

But the post is correct on the evolving part. If we start getting ourselves more intelligent on the marketing which includes how to sell something we will make more money...

I must add this.. Some time ago I decided to market appeal to those who are least affected by the economy.. It is paying of now. My businesses are up in sales and my income is up in larger amounts.

signmeup

I think wraps are a commodity. The printing can be done by most anyone who has been trained to use the machine.....someone who's never even seen a wrap can print one. The installation ....same thing......it's like laying floor tile in the way it makes no difference what colour the tiles are. It's the design that requires talent and creativity. You should pursue that aspect of the business for the extra value you can add to the wrap. Convince the customer that he needs you if he wants a superior result from his wrap.

BobM

You can only price your product when you know what it is you're selling. You can only make a deal with and sell to a person. BUYERS ARE LIARS.

BobM

Three rules of salesmenship.

You can only sell a product when you know what it is you're selling.

You can only sell your product and services to a person.

BUYERS ARE LIARS.

mark galoob

wiccapedia: "A commodity is some good for which there is demand, but which is supplied without qualitative differentiation across a market. It is a product that is the same no matter who produces it, such as petroleum, notebook paper, or milk...One of the characteristics of a commodity good is that its price is determined as a function of its market as a whole."

wraps are a commodity

mark galoob

sdcali619

wiccapedia: "A commodity is some good for which there is demand, but which is supplied without qualitative differentiation across a market. It is a product that is the same no matter who produces it, such as petroleum, notebook paper, or milk...One of the characteristics of a commodity good is that its price is determined as a function of its market as a whole."

wraps are a commodity

mark galoob

ok so his wording was wrong, I still don't see how you can compare a one off designed car graphic to walmart?. They don't create anything original at walmart, they purchase things in huge quantities and sell them to your or I cheaper. I don't know of anyone that just has panels laying around their shop ready to put onto the next car that comes through the door. If you do not have a consistent price point for customers what are you going to do when you give one a great deal, he recommends you and you decide to charge his buddy the "busy day" price.

P.S. Forgot to add that car wraps most definitely are "different." I can be 98% sure that the place that offered the 1700 is not offering the same product I am. Even if by some miracle they have a cousin who steals vinyl out of the back of truck and gives him a discount, the labor to correctly do the job would be putting the other guy out of business. unless he is the size of wal-mart, AKA the biggest car wrapper in the US, then he has no business offering that price for that job to be done correctly.

Last edited:

Techman

wraps are a commodity

Sorry. But,,
Wraps are only a commodity if you allow it to be. There is more to a wrap than just some plastic and some ink. They are the product of design and thought and then technical application.

If a wrap was just a commodity then why is there such a wide price range? A commodity as defined above is something such as a water, soft drinks, paper supplies, etc. You cannot walk into a custom wrap shop and pick one off a shelf.

So, good try. But, a custom wrap does not fit into the commodity market unless one allows it so. Develop a marketing plan out of the commodity arena and make it work.

Otherwise live in the land of price per foot and suffer with all the rest who will not allow themselves to think out of the box and continue to price per foot..