• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

im in troubel

ravitan

hallo u all from worm israel
i have a problem hear
i applyeid reflective 5 years china made on polycarbonate
100\250 cm
wet white shoap
a lot of bubbeles turn on the nexst day
u can see a pic heare
(wornning not 4 a weak hart :)
[yabsoft]DSCF5197.jpg
i nearly up my mind to make it all new
the bubbels r empty only air no wather inside
(im sorry that its my first post, beutifull pics will come nexst

thanks 4 all hgelpers:help
ronen

JV 3 SP2 130
US CUTTER 54"

CES020

I'm not sure I'm totally with you, but did you pull the protective film off the polycarb the same time you installed it? Some people say you should pull it off and allow it to sit so it can outgas. What you described sounds like the polycarb outgassing.

Bigdawg

Just Me
You can't apply reflective wet either. I think that's where your problems started. Even if the bubbles aren't holding water, I would bet the wet application is why you are bubbling now.

MikePro

you're definately in trouble. sorry to say. best bet is to poke with a knife and use a lot of heat to help make the best of it...

the bubles might not be filled with water, but they are filled with water vapor. reflective vinyl is metallic, which traps water between the layers. you think you squeegee it all out, but its still there... just waiting for the chance to vaporize and create the bubbles you see.

highly recommended, if not absolutely necessary, to NOT apply reflective with water. If your supplier doesn't have an air-egress version of reflective, at least laminate another vinyl, that allows for wet application, with reflective before cutting/applying.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe you're going to have to start over as you already stated. That looks as if you'd have 100's of holes and squeezing of air/moisture out that will really weigh heavy on the integrity of your installation, not to mention the vinyl is not meant to have 100's of holes in it from the start. A few here or there is acceptable, but not as many as you'll need. Also, even popping all of them, you'll never relieve all of them and it will still look bad, so I wouldn't waste my time.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The only reason for the not wet advice is that there have been some cases of mildew or corrosion resulting with the reflective film after some significant time has passed. The problem shown in the picture is, IMHO, not the result of a wet application but is outgassing of the polycarbonate.

The solution is to strip off the print, allow the polycarbonate to outgas and then apply a new print. You should also check that you are using the designated side of the polycarbonate for the application. One side is treated and one side is not on most polycarbonate sheets available these days.

Techman

English is not his first language. A little patience is needed.

This was an improper technique install. Those mini bubbles show that.

iSign

I've applied miles of reflective with application fluid, despite warnings...

BUT NEVER WITH SOAP!!!

I agree to just do it over, with the polycarb getting time to outgas, but if you want to use application fluid, JUST USE WATER OR RAPID TAC PRODUCT - NO SOAP!!

signmeup

This out-gassing theory still baffles me. I've never noticed the protective liner to have any bubbles under it. Presumably the protective liner was installed long before any "out-gassing" would have finished taking place. Why is the liner immune to out-gassing?

I think this poster simply applied the vinyl poorly and is hopeing someone can tell him how to save this job.

Signguyno1

Through out my 54 year career I have always applied reflective wet, application medium was water and couple drops of liquid dish detergent (all brands) with perfect results, with 3M, Mactac and others.
Never a problem with installation or longevity!

ravitan

thank u all really.

about the gassing thing, i herd about it and talk white the manufactor befor
i installed
he said the the amout of gas that the stuff reales can never be as huge as a bubbel.
and yes i pull the protective film off the polycarb

its not my firs time applaing reflectiv wet white shop, no problems until naw
in the chip crapy reflective vynil, if u will leave the shop 4 long it will make spots in the reflective angel.

my gess is that i didnt soak out all the water (i acutually bougth a new wiper, like a long kitchen wiper.. for this job)
u can be shur that we didnt see any bubbel when we finshed, everything looked smooth and safe
i had to use the short plastick wiper...
any info about wipers 4 wet applay will help (my big sqigee is on its way)

when i think about it , i layed the polycrap, and not landscape it on the wall,( this way the water falls down and not stays)

eider way im going to put the sign for a bit of sun ten somtimes it helps
but 99% a redo on this one
and agin thank u all 4 reading my spelling mistakes

im uploding some introdocing pics from a better days

[yabsoft]ביגין.JPG

:thankyou:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ndf2j8

http://www.sendspace.com/file/igc8xo

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3zugc6

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3u4t2d

in the brooklyin bridg pic the smailing man isnt me its the custemr
isnt any spell check around here?

bests
ronen

Last edited:

fmg

It is very possible to apply Reflective wet without any problems what so ever.
Can't understand why so many people here advise against it.
Baruch Hashem

ABPGraphics

maybe try setting it out in the direct sun for a couple of days - it may get rid of enough bubbles that you can deal with the rest

ravitan

well when we first sqweez out the wather there were no bubbels in site..
any way i made the background yesterday and so far no bubbel
pic's and update garentee
way im not working and just surfing?