• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In the market for a new cell phone

Sign_Boy

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new cell phone.
Anyone here have one they would recommend?
If so why?
I would like something that is durable.
My carrier is Verizon.

:thankyou:

TheSnowman

I love my iPhone, but people w/ the droid will say they love that too. Seems like they all do about the same stuff now days. The facetime app is really neat when traveling, can still talk face to face w/ my family. I jailbroke it too, so now I can broadcast wifi wherever I am w/o adding to my monthly fee.

econolinesigns

New iPhone 5 should be out sometime in September to mid October on Verizon. My son has a HTC Thunderbolt and while it is an ok phone by comparison to the iPhone, it really eats the battery. Depending on where your are at, Verizon my have or be close to activating 4G. We got to play with 4G in Los Angeles and it is fast. You may want to pick one with the 4G radio in it so you are ready for that.

Tim Aucoin

+1 on the iPhone, but as Kraig said... the droid is also very popular.

As far as durability goes, I think it's a simple matter of the case you put on it. Any of today's smart phones will break in a heart beat if not in a case and dropped. Whichever phone you go with, check out the Otter Box Cases (www.otterbox.com). They carry a variety of cases up to the point where you could run over your phone with a car and not harm it... just depends on how durable you need and what type of environment you will use it in. :smile:

NEGD

I love my iPhone, but people w/ the droid will say they love that too. Seems like they all do about the same stuff now days.

I've been looking too, Verizon as well, trying to decide if I wanted an iPhone (new os to release soon) or a Droid... went to Verizon to try them out... they all look the same and it seems like they all do the same thing. It's going to come down to technical specs for me b/c I've had good and bad reviews from friends for both operating systems.

Locals Find!

Droids are nice if you like a bit more flexibility with apps than Iphone. The droid allows more app builders to put out new products. The downside being anyone can make an app for droid and they aren't tested by google.

The Iphone has Apple testing and approving all apps that go into their marketplace to ensure they function properly and won't steal information.

Blackberry is a good phone also its been around a long time is simple and pretty basic as far as smartphones go. Not to many apps available but they are really reliable.

Malkin

+1 on Otterbox!

Polycarb & rubber housing, easily worth the $40ish price.

Concerning Droid phones, the only important consideration for me was screen size & resolution, and if the droid OS was relatively current.

Since most tasks you do run off of apps that you install, the rest of the specs don't have as much impact, since they are mostly the same.

Signs 365

Have owned an iPhone since they came out...love my 4. iPhone 5 due out this fall is speculated to have screen size comparable to the droid phones....once they match that iPhone should be best on the market...in my opinion at least. I use my 4 as my business phone all day and night....never fails me.

qmr55

I love my OG Droid. It is the original droid but I put new ROMS and kernals on it all the time keeping it up to date with the newest phones on the market. I like it even more because I can do whatever I want to it since Android is an open source project. iPhone=nono for me. Not big into apple products at all (personal opinion).

If you're into messing with your phone, trying to always improve it and such...go with a android phone. If you just want something you're going to use and not worry about messing with it...go with iPhone.

On a side note, for anyone who thought about this...I picked up a 4G antenna and plan on hard wiring it into my OG Droid to pickup 4G signals. (Thank god I have two of these things LOL)

petepaz

i have the HTC thunderbolt. love it, opens pretty much all files i need for work and the great jokes /pics sent by friends(jpg, pdf, power point and even opens zip files) also has a program to handle office programs/files (access, excel and word)

i would say you won't go wrong with either a droid based or apple smart phone

Mosh

I have a Samsung (droid) and love it. Also on Verison.
In fact I look at 90% of my e-mail on my phone now, saves alot of time.

ChicagoGraphics

My phone is so out dated that everyone laughs about it, but I never have drop calls and I can be in a 500 ft hole somewhere and still get my calls. It's a Motorola i205, LOL
I think it's time to make an upgrade, what do you all think?

dsmskyline

Phones now a days are nearly identical. Most android phones all have the same dual core 1gb processor. The big difference in the phones are the screens.

I would recommend spending some time in a Verizon store where they have real, activated phones to try. Make a couple calls, browse the web, and play with the e-mail.

Find which one feels the most comfortable holding and making a call.

Who cares if you have the latest and greatest if you are going to feel inconvenienced about using it.

CheapVehicleWrap

One thing many people don't realize is there is no single "droid". While every android phone is different, so is the OS. It took nearly a year and a half for the Droid X to become useable/stable. Having researched again recently, I still think it's the best.

Jim Doggett

I vote Android / Droid. Perfect extension to my home computer / laptop where everything is Googlian (Email, Calendar, etc.). Lose / have taken my phone, and no worries. Get a new one, synch it with Google, and I'm right back, in under a minute.

slipperyfrog

Have had an HTC EVO on Sprint since the day it came out and it is smoking. Took a little to figure out the ins and outs of Android as I switched from a Blackberry. Android's integration with Google is probably the thing I like most. I really like the 4g speeds and how well it tethers. Heck it even does decent as a mobile router for a few others to connect to with their laptops. Tried this at the library and it was decent.

I am now waiting for the new Samsung Galaxy 2 to hit the streets.

(I'm also waiting for the port of Android to the HP Tablet to hit. Was lucky and snagged 4 of them this weekend for $99 each)