• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Initial Blade down leaves nick - WHY? *PIC*

n20capri

I'm getting these ugly looking "nubs" and it looks like they are being left in spots when the blade goes down initially. Anyone know what could be causing that? Even cutting super slow it does it. I've also adjusted the offset values and nothing is fixing it. Annoying...

Plotter is a Graphtec CE3000-60 MK2
nubs.jpg

mekazilla

If the blade isn't pointing in the direction it's starting then it will spin to go that way. You can put a small extra cut line somewhere in the scrap to direct the blade how you want.

The only time I had this happen was
1) when the offset needed adjusted
2) the blade holder was loose
3) the blade was nicked
or the pinch roller was worn.
If you are cutting a wide piece of media for long runs, be sure to use a pinch roller in the center of the media to hold it in place.

S'N'S

The only time I had this happen was
1) when the offset needed adjusted
2) the blade holder was loose
3) the blade was nicked
or the pinch roller was worn.
If you are cutting a wide piece of media for long runs, be sure to use a pinch roller in the center of the media to hold it in place.

Totally agree, my Roland done the same when I used aftermarket blades because they had a different offset, changed offset.....problem fixed.

n20capri

Blade holder looks ok, rollers seem fine blade is decent...Really annoying.

Using the test button yields a nice test triangle so offset value under condition seems right.

I played with the offset angle through the control panel of the plotter and I still get the "nub"...really annoying...

S

SignTech

Is this on (every) project you cut? Or just a certain graphic or font?

I used to get these from time to time ............... when I zoomed in tight on the graphic or font I would find the graphic vector or font was bad.

Otherwise .......... like others have said maybe you have vinyl stuck in the blade holder ... or when the blade drops it is not hitting correctly etc .....

n20capri

Is this on (every) project you cut? Or just a certain graphic or font?

I used to get these from time to time ............... when I zoomed in tight on the graphic or font I would find the graphic vector or font was bad.

Otherwise .......... like others have said maybe you have vinyl stuck in the blade holder ... or when the blade drops it is not hitting correctly etc .....

At first I thought it was the art...but it's not...It seems to be just about anything with curves. I can create a simple circle and there is a nub left wherever the plotter decides where to start that circle...

Blade is clean, holder is clean and tight

Just plotted the same art with the pen. Looks like it's leaving a gap with the pen...this would explain where the vinyl would tear...Hmmm...

This is the same graphic as attached above...
Nub2.jpg

This is something different - you can clearly see the gap here...
Nub3.jpg

S

SignTech

Looks like it's a software issue ........ the cut is not completing ........ or the blade or pen in this case is lifting without completing the connection .....

S

SignTech

Every one has a LARGE dot or ink mark at the separation .......... see that?

Almost looks like the down force is too much and then the blade compensates and skips .....

Alphonse43

Creat a graphic with curves, mirror image it and cut both. See if the problem accures in the exact same spot on either image. If it does, I would look at your software.
Alphonse43

n20capri

Creat a graphic with curves, mirror image it and cut both. See if the problem accures in the exact same spot on either image. If it does, I would look at your software.
Alphonse43

While the mirrored graphic was not as bad - it still had the "nubs" mirrored to the original...weird.

woolly

only thing i have seen simular before was the up down slider was sticky but this was a intermitant type of fault.you can test your software by output to a file then open the file in notepad , you should be able to see the first down pair of coordinates and the last pair , they should be the same.woolly

Last edited:

Border

Most cutters have a dedicated test pattern that you can cut without ever going through your computer or software. If you have that and can try it, at least that might help eliminate any software issues or narrow it down to either software, firmware or hardware.

Just a thought:frustrated:

PS....doubt that it's anything firmware-related.

n20capri

I ran the plotter test and have highlighted some questionable areas...
http://www.mikemartinelli.com/demo.jpg

I also plotted it on vinyl and the "R" and "C" have noticeable nubs...in the same areas highlighted in the scan above.

The head and everything is tight and fluid. I realized no one ever answers the phone support at Graphtec so I tried email...lets see if they reply.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Customer "No Service" about the way it is now with anything. I have had the same problem on a different machine. Software is ruled out. It was a sticking cutter head/pen. Had to clean it really good and used sewing machine oil on the slider. It may also have a nick or burr on the blade holder. Since all blades rotate freely in the blade holder, I wouldn't change blades.

n20capri

Blade was a little notchy in the holder so I cleaned everything - no change. I got a new blade holder and the blade definitely spins smoother but still getting nubs. SO, new blade, spring, and blade holder and no change. The "test" triangle shows a smooth cut. I've tried all the offset and offset angle/force settings with no changes. I guess I'm gonna have to send it in for service! :frustrated:

EDIT - also lubed as shown in post above

Here is the art of the pic below
http://www.mikemartinelli.com/Art.ai

If I remove the middle anchor point of the "0" (where the nub is below) then it just starts cutting at an anchor point below that and leaves the nub there...

Nub.jpg

Valentino

Flexisign has a feature that is called overcut, which will run the blade an entered distance so the cut line overlaps usually .05 inch

look under the plotter settings in production manager

n20capri

Flexisign has a feature that is called overcut, which will run the blade an entered distance so the cut line overlaps usually .05 inch

look under the plotter settings in production manager

I'm cutting from Cutting Master 2 through Illustrator...Perhaps I can find something similar.