• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inkjet printing on CANVAS?

os101king

Looking to purchase an EcoSolvent printer, probably the signwarehouse mutoh (?), the PrismJet system with the bundled plotter & Flexi. My question is, does anyone know if this will print on art quality canvas? Is there such a material available? I have a friend whose mother travels a good bit to have her art prints made, and who would love to use me (local and friendly) to produce these. I would love to have the business as well. Any suggestions on large format scanners? Any help would be SUPER appreciated.

Thanks, all.
:thankyou:

Whit

Before the vinyls there was signcloth,,,
it is an oilcloth that is very paint receptive
but haven't looked for it in awhile !!!
It's what banners were painted on !!
Very Nice to work on I might add !!
Would be great for what you need I'm thinkin !!!
Smooth face/canvas back !!!
You might search "Oil cloth" to locate !!
Just a thought from days gone by !!!

Billct2

There are many "canvas" materials available for inkjet printing, when it's art printing it's called "giclee". I do it on my HP5000 with coated materials.
I would call the rep selling you the machine and discuss the posibilities.
You can sub out the scanning or what I do is have a pro photographer take studio shots of the piece and I use the digital photo file.
The biggest issue will be how fussy the artist is in accurate reproduction.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Almost every manufacturer of digital media has a form of sign or artist canvas. We actually reproduced a famous painting from a museum and printed it on the 'Roland' canvas media. We took such a good picture that we even have the swirls and fan marks left by the artist. It looks great.

Obviously, I can't name the artist, but it's nice having a $750,000 painting hanging in your showroom. You'll probably have to print at a high dpi with the head height all the way up to accept the media. :thumb:

mark in tx

Do some searching on Giclee printing, that Mutoh will probably do a passable job, but the quality usually demanded for Giclee prints are quite high.
HP printers, Epson Printers are what I see mentioned the most for Giclee.

I have used my Roland with mild solvent ink to print on a few different canvas materials, with passable results.
But when you compare the output of a 4 color machine side by side to what some of the "dedicated" Giclee machines output, you see a remarkable difference.

My personal opinion of the Mutoh machines is they are not worth the money. From here and other forums, you might pick up on a general trend of more mechanical problems than some other brands.
Research carefully.

iSign

mark in tx said:
Do some searching on Giclee printing, that Mutoh will probably do a passable job, but the quality usually demanded for Giclee prints are quite high.
HP printers, Epson Printers are what I see mentioned the most for Giclee.

I have used my Roland with mild solvent ink to print on a few different canvas materials, with passable results.
But when you compare the output of a 4 color machine side by side to what some of the "dedicated" Giclee machines output, you see a remarkable difference.

My personal opinion of the Mutoh machines is they are not worth the money. From here and other forums, you might pick up on a general trend of more mechanical problems than some other brands.
Research carefully.

I would agree with everything said above.

If you run a 6 or 8 color set up, you will get better art reproduction color gamut.... but with just 4 color, like my Mimaki... the prints look great on picaso canvas, but the colors I can get, while fine for 99% of the sign purchasing community... will not always be enough of a range to satisfy an artist.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If youre looking for a Higher Quality printout on Canvas of some sort...you need to go with at LEAST a 6 color machine. You'll get a better representation of your colors with the Lc & Lm than you would with just the standard CMYK. It makes a huge difference on my Vutek which is only 360 Dpi (for a 10' machine, its really nice though!). Printing on the available substrates, you really need to stick with Coated materials. Youre going to get the most POP of color and resolution on them. If you get into uncoated canvas or cotton cloth....they're going to soak up the ink and bleed some.

vroongraphics

Get a HP 5500...best investment you will ever make for this type of job...and if uses UV aqueous inks, you can even do short-term outdoor stuff....I live in northern BC and had outdoor 4 x 8 signs that lasted over 15 months without lamination (exposed to elements)....you can pick up one of these out of the box for under 8k .... solvents will not give you the color gamut most customers are looking for. Ecosolvent printers like Roland are used for this purpose...but I find the skin tones are night and day between an aqueous (Hp or Canon) and ecosolvent printer (Roland or Mutoh)....
the new Epson GS6000 (tauted as an indoor/outdoor ecosolvent printer 1440 dpi using 8 inks) looks promising....

Rodi

See what Graham Nash is doing and using, he was among the first Giclee printers, its always interestsing.

Bradster941

Get a HP 5500...best investment you will ever make for this type of job...and if uses UV aqueous inks, you can even do short-term outdoor stuff....I live in northern BC and had outdoor 4 x 8 signs that lasted over 15 months without lamination (exposed to elements)....you can pick up one of these out of the box for under 8k .... solvents will not give you the color gamut most customers are looking for. Ecosolvent printers like Roland are used for this purpose...but I find the skin tones are night and day between an aqueous (Hp or Canon) and ecosolvent printer (Roland or Mutoh)....
the new Epson GS6000 (tauted as an indoor/outdoor ecosolvent printer 1440 dpi using 8 inks) looks promising....

Use a Epson GS6000 8-color solvent printers to print out on glossy canvas and see the colors pop.

Why do the Newbies always bring up threads that are years old? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

D

Digitall

Our Epson 9880 does a incredible job with eight colors, including different shades of black cartriges which really makes the difference. Our Roland VP540 gets acceptable results.

Biker Scout

Whatever you get, make sure when offering the service of fine art canvas reproductions.... to pronounce the word Giclee correctly. (Zee-Clay)

I bout pissed my pants when a customer came in a while back looking for such a service, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what they wanted.

Kept pronouncing it, "Glickly" you know, "Glickly Prints"...

It wasn't until we got to the word Canvas, and Paintings I knew what she was talking about. Didn't have the heart to correct her. I just said, Ah... that French word, yeah we do those too. Just don't get much call for "Glickly Prints", so it's been awhile!

Anyway, aqueous printers are really what you are looking for if you want to get into Fine Art Reproductions. My Mutoh does a fine job on canvas, and I clear coat with a thick gel and a heavy bristle brush to mimic the artist's brush strokes. But it does not have the same ability to capture all the colors that artists like squeezing out of the tubes. My Canon does a much better job.

threads1

If you really want to find the best possible printer for your needs...go to this website.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com

It is dedicated to fine art photography and the owner does unbiased reviews for anything in the photography field. Hence, you can research the absolute best printer on the market for printing on canvas without any B.S.