• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Input needed on logo design

randya

I feel if you do it right they are every bit as good as a characterization, mascot or doodle as part of your logo. They do convey more serious, business like approach however. They aren't for every industry. But you wouldn't go to your proctologist who had his face as part of his logo. You'd want him to be serious and professional.

I'll agree with Dan that a mascot/doodle is definitely waaaay more brandable, and easily more memorable as part of a whole branding strategy. But entire branding strategies are expensive to execute, and take a lot of hands on from an agency willing to "put you out there". But using your face as part of your branding strategy is akin to a real estate agent or mortgage broker always seemingly forcing their faces all over town, just because it's common industry practice. These guys aren't the celebrities they want you to think they are, and that whole notion of a smiley face invoking a sense of trust and personable service is just misguided and probably thought up by some smooth talker from an industry seminar. Egomania comes to mind!

Randy, are you a celebrity outside of your bedroom mirror? Do you want or need people to associate your face or a caricature of your face to instill an air of confidence and personable touch in your service you are offering? How divergent is your industry that you are competing in? Is there an established "look" that works for the larger, more successful firms/individuals that are vying for the same slice of pie? If so, then maybe you ought to emulate them to some degree as a starting point.

More to think about.

I do think I am looking for something more fun that adds a personal aspect.
That probably reflects better who I am.
I do believe I have marketable product.
I don't have a business yet, so it will be me, probably selling out of van (hopefully not 'down by the river') and art fairs.
I'm not giving up my day job....yet.

You have been most helpful, thanks I appreciate your input.

How do you think I would look in a cowboy hat?

Biker Scout

You mean like Frank Fellers? It's already been done. It's his signature look.

And even if you end up in your van down by the river at night and street faires and festivals on the weekends, doesn't mean that you can't have a cohesive, brandable and professional look to help you look a little less like Chris Farely.

At this point in the conversation, I would think that I'd need to know more about what it is you are exactly selling? Weed shirts to the new, growing 420 crowd? Or professional and technical help relating to something else entirely?

Attachments

• Fellers_Centerfold_Certified_Calendar.jpg
    Fellers_Centerfold_Certified_Calendar.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 115

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
First thing I wondered was... did you just open the
program and start designing?

Thats not design... design is a process. One of the
important parts is "RESEARCH"... Did you do any?

One big resource is Logolounge, either the website
or the series of books. They have 3 sections that
might have helped... "Typography", "Calligraphy" and
"Heads" There you could see all sorts of styles and
interpretations, NOT TO STEAL, but to be inspired by.

If you have a certain type of art, then that is a huge
influence on how the logo should look. Icons, doodads
and caricatures come in all sorts of shapes, and styles
and I'm sure there was one that would attract clients,
not what attracts you. Done right, once research is done,
you should have many ideas to work off of. I played
with your logo and think it's cool, but with no idea what art
you did, it's hard to give you ideas on the logo, let alone
design one.

So even if you designed a "good" logo, how would we know
if it was for your artwork?

randya

You mean like Frank Fellers? It's already been done. It's his signature look.

And even if you end up in your van down by the river at night and street faires and festivals on the weekends, doesn't mean that you can't have a cohesive, brandable and professional look to help you look a little less like Chris Farely.

At this point in the conversation, I would think that I'd need to know more about what it is you are exactly selling? Weed shirts to the new, growing 420 crowd? Or professional and technical help relating to something else entirely?

Yes the hat was a joke.
But it has been incredibly successful for him.

I have some artwork that someone wants to license.
And I have some potential products based on artwork I would like to try and market. T-shirts, artwork, etc

I certainly don't consider myself a designer, but I have developed some techniques that produce some interesting artwork.
So it is a bit difficult for me to say I am a designer, my artwork is all digital, I don't paint.

randya

First thing I wondered was... did you just open the
program and start designing?

Thats not design... design is a process. One of the
important parts is "RESEARCH"... Did you do any?

One big resource is Logolounge, either the website
or the series of books. They have 3 sections that
might have helped... "Typography", "Calligraphy" and
"Heads" There you could see all sorts of styles and
interpretations, NOT TO STEAL, but to be inspired by.

If you have a certain type of art, then that is a huge
influence on how the logo should look. Icons, doodads
and caricatures come in all sorts of shapes, and styles
and I'm sure there was one that would attract clients,
not what attracts you. Done right, once research is done,
you should have many ideas to work off of. I played
with your logo and think it's cool, but with no idea what art
you did, it's hard to give you ideas on the logo, let alone
design one.

I am no designer, more like an accidental artist (my wife would disagree with me).

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
I came here to find out what I didn't know, and you guys have been great.
Thanks for the reference, the information and the new question.

More to ponder.