• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing xp in a win 2000 comp?

gabagoo

I want to wipe an entire hard drive and start fresh and install win xp. How do I go about wiping an entire hard drive to start fresh. Win xp does not seem to think I have enough disk space, yet I have plenty. Can I wipe everything and start fresh?

SignBurst PCs

Yes. It is as easy as backing up any data you want to keep and booting from the XP CD.

XP might even have all of your drivers built in.

gabagoo

I dont understand what you have said in regards to wiping the drive first? can I and how? Thanks

D&Tgraphics

Put the xp disc in And start the install process. When it asks you if you want to format your drive click yes. That means " wipe clean".

gabagoo

I will try but last time I loaded it I never got that option. It wanted to either load as a dual boot or it wanted to load without wiping in which case it said I do not have enough space on the drive. I will give it a shot, let you know in a few minutes thanks

gabagoo

Damn computer..... It did it again. It gets to this point and asks if I want to partition or no partition and either selection will not allow me to load the software as it sees win 2000 . I jst want to wip the drive clean first then install the disc. How is this done?

choucove

If you have already backed up the files you want, you can use an hard drive eraser program, such as DBAN. It will boot up just like the Windows XP program, and will write '0' to the entire drive erasing all data. Then you can install Windows XP after the wipe has completed and Windows 2000 and it's partitions will no longer be visible.

gabagoo

well anyways it seemed each time Iloaded the disk it would try to tell me different things until I finally got to the format part. Must be buggy.