• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IRENE..What a pain in the A__!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My hurricane experience was also overhyped I guess.... I mean if using generators for over 2 months, no work for as long, no phones (unless you stood in line) no drinking water for a couple of weeks (unless you stood in line) no way to bath for a few weeks (unless you stood in line) and could not flush the toilet without a bucket, water damage from a ripped roof, no trash service for about a month, and had major electrical and plumbing damage when the house was picked up is not a big deal. This is probably not gonna happen on the east coast, but I remember watching the storm head towards us and thinking it would never hit this speck of an island in the middle of nowhere.

All the preparations they are asking you to do will only allow you to survive comfortably for a few days to a week at best. I filled up my cars, my propane tanks, got lots of water, diapers for the baby, lowered the fridge temp and filled up trash cans with water. One thing I wish I did was bag up my stuff. Lost my photos, lots of books and a lot of my record collection. It would have taken a box of trash bags and about 2 hours to do that.

We had very little looting... I'm thinking standing in line for hours in Kauai is going to be a better experience than standing in line in New York.

Last edited:

sar bossier

When we hear the storms are comin to us, we buy a brand new 39 gal trash can, fill it with water for cooking and drinking, fill all of the tubs for flushing/bathing, have a coleman stove to cook with (all electric house) generator for electric, fill all of the cars, have several gallons of gas handy for the generator, board up as much as possible, turn the deep freezer down all of the way, 20# of ice in camping ice chest, and batten down. having plenty of non-perishables is also handy, if the power is out for an extended period of time. 2 - 3 cases of bottled water for back up as well. In Louiaiana, we see quite a few storms ourselves, not as many as Florida, but enough to stay prepared when they tell you it's a comin.

cajun312

Looks like the storm is weakening. Storm surge may be the biggest problem.

With its eyewall collapsed and just 24 more hours over water before landfall, it is unlikely Irene will have time to build a new eyewall and intensify. The storm is too large to weaken quickly, and the best forecast is that Irene will be a Category 2 hurricane at landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and a rapidly weakening Category 1 hurricane at its second landfall in New England on Sunday. However, since Irene is such a huge storm–tropical storm force winds extend out up to 290 miles from the center–it has set a massive amount of the ocean’s surface in motion, which will cause a much larger storm surge than the winds would suggest. At 9:30am EDT this morning, a wind analysis from NOAA/HRD indicated that the potential storm surge damage from Irene rated a 5.1 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is equivalent to the storm surge a typical Category 4 hurricane would have. While this damage potential should gradually decline as Irene moves northwards and weakens, we can still expect a storm surge one full Saffir-Simpson Category higher than Irene’s winds. Since tides are at their highest levels of the month this weekend due to the new moon, storm surge flooding will be at a maximum during the high tidal cycles that will occur at 8 pm Saturday night and 8 am Sunday morning. At those times, Irene is expected to be near the NC/VA border, then close to Long Island, NY, respectively. Thus, storm surge damage rivaling that experienced during Hurricane Isabel in 2003 is likely in northern NC, southern Maryland, and up Chesapeake Bay on Saturday night. It looks like Irene will pass New Jersey during low tide, which may limit the storm surge inundation to 3 – 6 feet there. Coastal New England from New York City to Massachusetts may also see storm surges characteristic of a Category 1 hurricane during Sunday morning’s high tide, even if Irene has weakened to a tropical storm. I continue to give a 20% chance that a storm surge high enough to over-top the Manhattan flood walls and swamp the New York City subway system will occur on Sunday.

SAS

I live 70 miles from the coast, I left home at 6am to move our camper to storage. It's on the Pamlico sound and would stand a good chance of flooding. It sits about 50 foot from the water with no sea wall. I think most damage in N.C. will be in Ocracoke Island and the Outer Banks. Most people around the coast is taking the storm seriously.
I was looking forward to some drum fishing this weekend. But I just went to the ABC store and got the essential supplies.

Last edited:

OldPaint

I am so glad I live in Michigan....
wellllll......i sorta remember the "hurricanes" you have when its 20 BELOW ZERO!!!!!! you call lake effect snow storms. as least in most hurricane prone areas, WE DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FREEZING TO DEATH))))))

omgsideburns

hurricane shmuricane. been dealing with them my whole life. the only thing scary is the tornadoes that occur..

and my house is well above the 100 year flood zone so the water never gets close even though i'm a few hundred yards off the water.

threads1

Well, as it turns out the cop lied to us about shutting down the power. (Imagine that) I was told a couple of hours ago the chief of police instructed her underlings to tell us "no power" to get us to leave.

We're expected to get about a 6' surge so that won't get in my house. I have photographed every major hurricane that has hit the US mainland in the past 7 years and this will be the first time I'm riding one out. Should be interesting. We have all the necessities, tubs are full, lots of dehydrated hiking food and 2 big coolers full of ice. My ambulance is in the driveway so we can power up the fridge and some lights after the storm passes.

Thanks for all the good advice and kinds thought. I hope everyone in the path of this thing fairs well. My Parrots are going to freak out.

Bradster941

Just wondering if anybody is in the path of the storm & what you're doing.

I boarded up both shops yesterday. The town has issued a mandatory evacuation. Everyone has to be out by 5:eek:opm today. I think it's B.S. We're staying and if we go off the island they won't let us back on. We have 4 parrots and 2 dogs with no place to take the birds so if we can't get back on the island for 4 or 5 days they'll starve. I'm pissed.

Here in Florida where I live, our evacuation shelters will allow you to bring your dogs or cats with you, but not your bird(s).

All must be caged of course.

This Just makes no sense to me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good luck to all in the weather's path, hope it turns out to be a dud for you.

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

well if nothing else good comes from this..IT WILL CREATE JOBS...........my best client is a big tree service co. he has it here and his brother is in the Carolinas. and not even the republicans can deny emergency funds for what this is gona cause.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
well if nothing else good comes from this..IT WILL CREATE JOBS...........my best client is a big tree service co. he has it here and his brother is in the Carolinas. and not even the republicans can deny emergency funds for what this is gona cause.

No, it will create work. There's a large difference between a bit of work and creating a full time permanent job.

OldPaint

right bob, as if you ever done tree service work..........after IVAN here, there was more TREE SERVICE, LONG TERM JOBS.........created that didnt exist before. week or so after ivan i went thru 3 rolls of 25 ft long magnetic material(24" USED PER SET)....FOR NEW TREE SERVICE COMPANIES!!!!!

John Butto

"No, it will create work. There's a large difference between a bit of work and creating a full time permanent job".

Know you like to get things going, but, work is picking up the debris left behind by the hurricane on your own property and helping others and not getting paid, jobs are created when other people come in to clean up and get money to do the same thing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
right bob, as if you ever done tree service work..........after IVAN here, there was more TREE SERVICE, LONG TERM JOBS.........created that didnt exist before. week or so after ivan i went thru 3 rolls of 25 ft long magnetic material(24" USED PER SET)....FOR NEW TREE SERVICE COMPANIES!!!!!

And after the debris was shoveled and the trees seen to how many of these fine new tree service companies remained in business? How many full time permanent positions that you attribute to a particular wind storm are still in existence?

Having work to do, paid or not, is far different from having a permanent full time job. Saying you 'Have a job' in these circumstances more than likely means you have a task or series of tasks with a finite duration. When you accomplish whatever it is you must do, you're done.

Wealth production creates jobs as I use the word, cleaning up destruction does not.

WildWestDesigns

And after the debris was shoveled and the trees seen to how many of these fine new tree service companies remained in business? How many full time permanent positions that you attribute to a particular wind storm are still in existence?

Having work to do, paid or not, is far different from having a permanent full time job. Saying you 'Have a job' in these circumstances more than likely means you have a task or series of tasks with a finite duration. When you accomplish whatever it is you must do, you're done.

Wealth production creates jobs as I use the word, cleaning up destruction does not.

I hate to say it, but as far as we are concerned everything is finite in duration. To me, it doesn't matter if it's 2 weeks, 2 yrs, or 2 decades. If you get paid for services rendered that is/was a job. It might have been a short lived job compared to others, but it was still a job.

Tasks or series of tasks can apply to the long term job as well. I know I always have a series of tasks to do for my job.

OldPaint

THANK YOU WWD!!!!! i really hate when the so called "educated" want to split hairs on word terminology!!! jJOB vs WORK............. same damn thing. what these inteletcuals are calling "jobs" went away with the coal mines moving the steel mills closing and the big manfactures like JOHN DEERE, CAT, TIMKEN, FEDERAL BEARING COMAPNY all went oversees and took THE JOBS.... with them.
I WORK.....to make money....on JOBS.....for other people. when one JOB is done, i get another JOB....on each one i do WORK!!!!

Big House Signs

My shop is in a 100 yr flood plane. Everything is up on tables. The office where the printer is, about 2 ft elevated...so hopefully that will be ok. If the rain is just steady I think it will be fine...only time there has been flooding here that I know is when alot of rain comes quick. In 2004 we had 10 inches in 3 hours and the drains backed up. Got about 6 inches in here. Hopefully we will be fine. Yesterday we put sand bags in front of the garage doors. Heres a funny pic of my heroes bringing the sand bags (yes I gave them muskles!) and the shop floor clean for the first time in years! And the end of my office...we brought in alot of stuff from the lobby. Those cut outs scare me everytime I walk in!
Hope everyone is safe!

Paula

Attachments

• signs01.jpg
    signs01.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 112
  • signs02.jpg
    signs02.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 122
  • signs03.jpg
    signs03.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 121

CES020

I hope we are taking away her strength so she doesn't make trouble for y'all up north. She's beat the living sh@t out of central Va today and tonight. I personally know of 3 people with trees on their house, water now coming into their houses. I've not seen this many people without power in my life, and I've lived through a direct hit of hurricane Isabel.

We've had almost no rain here this entire summer, so all the trees are dry and brittle. Load the leaves up with water weight and blow 60 mph winds and they all topple or split open.

It looks like a natural disaster area for sure and we are 60 miles from the center.

No power at my house, roof leaking at the shop into our office area . I've had a about enough of this b@tch!

I do hope we have made her weaker so others don't have to deal with it. We have over 2,000,000 without power right now. They say 3-5 days before power is restored.