• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Everyone Tired Of AI

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I am so tired of AI turning up in everything now.. Even Windows will start to use AI to help you navigate folder and programs..

This is going to far in my opinion.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've had fun playing around with it (take my avatar for instance) but I'm getting cramps from cringing with all the AI crap people submit to be printed. It's clearly generated in some kind of AI software, and I've experimented enough to know when something is authentic, or some AI generated "art" work.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Graphic Extremes said:
Illustrator has AI in it now as well as Photoshop, haven't found a way to disable the AI feature

The "AI" feature (Text to Vector) in Adobe Illustrator is overrated.

At best, Illustrator's Text to Vector feature is only worth using for brain-storming purposes. None of the vector imagery it produces is clean enough to be production-ready. Under the hood all of it is auto-traced from pixel-based sources. On top of that, nearly all the imagery has an odd uncanny valley vibe to it. All sorts of little things just don't look right. I'd have to refine the results via a new hand-drawn sketch and vectorize that.

The Text to Vector feature can be a time vampire too. You can type a text prompt and wait for 3 results to appear, kind of like playing a slot machine but slower. Except all the results are going to be pretty random. Lots of time can be wasted trying to find something that sort of fits the project need. Oh, and Adobe has a "generative credits" system they'll be using. Users will get only so many a month. When those are used up it will take considerably longer to generate new image results from text prompts. But you can pay extra for more generative credits to keep things going fast.

The Retype feature in Illustrator has a lot more useful potential. That can match fonts and place new editable type objects over pixel-based images of type or vector text that was converted to outlines. Right now it's limited to fonts available in the Adobe Fonts service, but it will be able to look through fonts installed in the computer system too.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I love it, use it for coding and doing quick things. Textual work is so much easier through ai when it can extrapolate a few lines to complete blog-length responses.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
AI is bloody amazing.
This has nothing to do with generative art etc,
AI as a whole is nuts, and is super useful if you know how to use it.

I've played with generative art, that is also great the way it works. a simple prompt can scale your ideas.
We use the LLM a lot for all sorts of tasks.

It's not going anywhere.

Boudica

No offense Christian, but post #12 reads Sooo chatgpt, or other ai driven words. If you start talking like the bot, people will treat you like the bot. Noooooooooooooooo!

WildWestDesigns

"AI" as it is now, isn't the same as the "AI" with Skynet. At least not yet.

Personally, I've never had much of an interest in it. I prefer to get the juice of figuring something out on my own. Be it art, animation, and various programming that I do (I use C/C++ so I'm used to "pain"). While I can understand MS wanting to get their money's worth of their investment, I'm glad that I don't run Windows, so I don't have to deal with that as much as they are baking it in their OS.

I do have to wonder how things will end when it comes to IPs and all that. Right now, it's too much in the air.

The one thing that I do worry about more compared to anything else is when it comes to the 2nd/3rd/4th generation of users that have had this taught to them first. We have gotten to the point where it's abstraction on top of abstraction on top of abstraction. It's at the point that people will have a hard time figuring out anything when something goes wrong, can't access it (I foresee probably going to end up having more locally installed versions of it (I'm sure that will help with the IP angle of it)), or whatever the situation may be and they will be up that well known creek without a paddle.

Boudica

With all due to respect regarding laziness... I've gotten all too used to googling for information. In many respects, it's (AI software) is pretty much the same thing, just tailored to specific tasks we are already doing on the computer. The printing of encyclopedias just can't keep up with information anymore. I'm inheriting my moms full bookshelf of encyclopedias I grew up with, and used as a kid doing homework. but sadly.... they will mostly be kept for nostalgia. LOL, when they make their way over here, I'm going to try to get my teenage Gen Z daughter to "look it up", but look it up in a book. She's gonna freak, but I hope she will think it's cool because of the dinosaur effect.

WildWestDesigns

With all due to respect regarding laziness... I've gotten all too used to googling for information. In many respects, it's (AI software) is pretty much the same thing,
At this point, that's all that "AI" is right now. A glorified web scraper, which doesn't always come up with correct info (and imagine when people get so lazy that they don't confirm whatever is spit back out in the prompt) and it also pulls things that licensing may not like too much as well.

The printing of encyclopedias just can't keep up with information anymore.
That can actually present it's own problem as well that things change way way too quickly.

LOL, when they make their way over here, I'm going to try to get my teenage Gen Z daughter to "look it up", but look it up in a book. She's gonna freak, but I hope she will think it's cool because of the dinosaur effect.
That actually speaks to the problem that I was referencing my concern with the 2nd/3rd/4th generation. As it grows, it abstracts more and more. Despite Millennials and Gen Z's having grown up with tech, there is a growing problem of them not knowing file hierarchy for a lot of them (I would even say 51% of them have issues), how to grep through a system (or findstr on Windows). Just look at some of the questions that abound in forums like this. Want to have your daughter freak out with the computer, breakout the CLI (which still has it's place even with today's computers). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we still need to always use these lower level tools, but atleast be taught about that in case there is a need to fix an issue or improve efficiency (most of the tedious stuff I do is bash scripted, but that only works when someone knows the lower level stuff or one trusts a 3rd party to fix it for them (which I wouldn't suggest, but that depends on one's individual risk factor)).

Boudica

I hope this crap works better then the voice menus you get when you call the bank.
Or any public utility. Having recently moved... After 20 years... Waaaay different experience. Signing up for the trash/recycling pickup was ridiculous... Until I got the human. Who still sounded like a robot. A pleasant human reading from a script. Thank goodness I was just signing up for a new service...
As far as sales, or services using automated AI systems for customer service, if there is an actual customer issue... A glitch in the cog of The trained FAQ, it's a nightmare for the customer.