• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Everyone Tired Of AI

damonCA21

The problem I see with AI is it isnt very intelligent at the moment, but companies will believe it is and rely on it to do everything. Imagine trying to phone your bank over a problem like a company taking a payment twice from you, and all you get is an AI bot that can't understand what you are saying, and unless it has a pre programmed answer for your problem, then it won't help.

It is like when you use the chat bots on things to try and sort something out, and all it does is just give scripted replies that don't answer your question.

If you could get through to an actual human who can listen to what you are saying, it is much easier to get it sorted out.

damonCA21

I can also see it coming to a point when you can never get to talk to a real person. And if you can it will be a case of 'computer says no' as they won't be allowed to overrule a decision their AI system has made as the bosses have spent millions on it and believe it is great

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Or any public utility. Having recently moved... After 20 years... Waaaay different experience. Signing up for the trash/recycling pickup was ridiculous... Until I got the human. Who still sounded like a robot. A pleasant human reading from a script. Thank goodness I was just signing up for a new service...
As far as sales, or services using automated AI systems for customer service, if there is an actual customer issue... A glitch in the cog of The trained FAQ, it's a nightmare for the customer.
Or any public utility. Having recently moved... After 20 years... Waaaay different experience. Signing up for the trash/recycling pickup was ridiculous... Until I got the human. Who still sounded like a robot. A pleasant human reading from a script. Thank goodness I was just signing up for a new service...
As far as sales, or services using automated AI systems for customer service, if there is an actual customer issue... A glitch in the cog of The trained FAQ, it's a nightmare for the customer.
I've used some of AI enabled chatbots for customer service.
They're set up quite well.

Goes though a few questions to help assist your problem. even google. Once it gets to the point it cannot assist you (usually pointing towards blog posts and answers) it'll then bring in a real person.

It's great for companies resources on their website to help the customer, but the customer is either a) useless or b) looking in the wrong place for the answer.

Ive been both A and B.. :D

damonCA21

I dont think I have ever used a chat bot that has actually answered the question I had or been able to help with a problem.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea, I was going to say...some of the customer service phone menus are getting better. Sometimes they're more efficient than the Indians reading from a script and their fake sympathy. "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that issue, I understand that can be frustrating". No you're not, you're reading a script. Just tell me the truth "Oh that sucks for you, so let me waste your time and eventually never help you and when you ask for my manager I'll give you another Indian that sounds exactly the same"

jochwat

Graphics Department
There are some AI features that I have been using that are actually quite wonderful and productive. One example is being able to artificially expand a photo. Say you have a photo of a farm landscape. You need the barn, tractor, animals, etc. to remain, but you need the crop fields to extend more on both sides, and to the bottom. Photoshop lets you increase the canvas to the dimensions you need, and basically can fill in the rest with auto-generated wheat and soybean fields in all directions that look exactly like the original photo. Also an easy way to add some bleed to a canvas print that wraps around a frame. There are some definite uses for AI outside of us goofing around with making screwy Signs101 avatars.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I rarely go thru a Mcdonald's Drive thru but one day I did and the voice was very crisp and clear, so much that I felt inclined to mention to the girl, who took my money at the window, how pleasant her voice was. She looked at me and chuckled "oh, that's an AI."

jochwat

Graphics Department
I rarely go thru a Mcdonald's Drive thru but one day I did and the voice was very crisp and clear, so much that I felt inclined to mention to the girl, who took my money at the window, how pleasant her voice was. She looked at me and chuckled "oh, that's an AI."

And how was your 25-cent coffee? :D

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There are some AI features that I have been using that are actually quite wonderful and productive. One example is being able to artificially expand a photo. Say you have a photo of a farm landscape. You need the barn, tractor, animals, etc. to remain, but you need the crop fields to extend more on both sides, and to the bottom. Photoshop lets you increase the canvas to the dimensions you need, and basically can fill in the rest with auto-generated wheat and soybean fields in all directions that look exactly like the original photo. Also an easy way to add some bleed to a canvas print that wraps around a frame. There are some definite uses for AI outside of us goofing around with making screwy Signs101 avatars.
hey, my avatar isn't screwy it's a thing of beauty! I do agree it can be quite handy - I use the photo enhancement software Both Gigapixle and Topaz frequently to make a low res photo look better. I used the regenerative feature recently touching up an awkwardly cropped photo for a memorial service program - worked great! 20+ years as a photo editor, I just wish some of these newer features existed back then! It would have saved so much time.
What is insulting, is newbs who never had any experience with photo editing, (or real photography for that matter) thinking they are talented when all they know is AI.
give them a camera (that uses film) and send them to the darkroom and see how well they can develop film - it's a lost art.

Last edited:

jochwat

Graphics Department
hey, I resemble that! It can be quite handy - I use the photo enhancement software Both Gigapixle and Topaz frequently to make a low res photo look better. I used the regenerative feature recently touching up an awkwardly cropped photo for a memorial service program - worked great! 20+ years as a photo editor, I just wish some of these newer features existed back then! It would have saved so much time.
Yes you do indeed resemble that remark :)

The Topaz apps are great, I use them as well. Planning to promote some local work by offering "AI-Enhancement Services" for sign and banner work in the New Year... You know, for when a parent send in that shitty, low-res, ultra-compressed, postage-stamp picture of their kid for me to make a 60" x 60" kindergarten graduation banner. Whew, that was a mouthful. But yes indeed, those photo enhancement tools partnered up with software to add realistic padding around a picture are worth their weight in gold. Well, an app doesn't really weigh anything... so... well they're just very useful, damn it. Not to mention being able to grab a subject in an image, or kill the background in just a click...

So, now -- if these features are truly "Artificial Intelligence", then, no... not sick of it yet.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes you do indeed resemble that remark :)

The Topaz apps are great, I use them as well. Planning to promote some local work by offering "AI-Enhancement Services" for sign and banner work in the New Year... You know, for when a parent send in that shitty, low-res, ultra-compressed, postage-stamp picture of their kid for me to make a 60" x 60" kindergarten graduation banner. Whew, that was a mouthful. But yes indeed, those photo enhancement tools partnered up with software to add realistic padding around a picture are worth their weight in gold. Well, an app doesn't really weigh anything... so... well they're just very useful, damn it. Not to mention being able to grab a subject in an image, or kill the background in just a click...

So, now -- if these features are truly "Artificial Intelligence", then, no... not sick of it yet.
I can see that being useful but is that really AI? AI is becoming a marketing term for automation that has already been in place. It's ike painting your house gold and calling it the Taj Mahal. I mean, auto and semi auto photo enhancement has been around for decades.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I can see that being useful but is that really AI? AI is becoming a marketing term for automation that has already been in place. It's ike painting your house gold and calling it the Taj Mahal. I mean, auto and semi auto photo enhancement has been around for decades.

That's why I said "So, now -- if these features are truly "Artificial Intelligence", then, no... not sick of it yet."

Because I don't know. Just going by the usage of the terms. It could be very loosely interpreted... I bet someone could explain why ALL computer code could be considered "artificial intelligence".

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That's why I said "So, now -- if these features are truly "Artificial Intelligence", then, no... not sick of it yet."

Because I don't know. Just going by the usage of the terms. It could be very loosely interpreted... I bet someone could explain why ALL computer code could be considered "artificial intelligence".
I don't see how any of this is AI until it becomes sentient. Either way, I find it all annoying. If people can't write their own copy then they probably should have taken the short bus to school like Boudica did.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Photography is easy...anyone can do it ..
IMG20231122124230.jpg

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
"AI" as it is now, isn't the same as the "AI" with Skynet. At least not yet.

There is an enormous chasm between so-called Artificial Intelligence that we're seeing now and Artificial General Intelligence. The AI stuff we're seeing now is pretty dumb. It's automation taken to more sophisticated levels.

Artificial General Intelligence is achieved when the machine becomes self-aware. It has its own consciousness, motivations, self determination, etc. We're still a long way from such a thing. Even Skynet from the Terminator movies could be judged to be a dumb AI thing as opposed to an AGI entity because of its crude, automatic and cartoonish choices to exterminate humans. A real AGI entity would probably be smarter than that. If every human was exterminated at once the Earth would become a very dangerous, toxic place to live. We have lots of buildings, infrastructure and processes that require human manpower to maintain. Neglected nuclear reactors will melt down. Dams will fail. Skyscrapers and bridges will topple. Robots can do only so much.

Us humans are dumb enough to ruin our lives or even exterminate ourselves using AI-driven tech. The business world is obsessed about this stuff for one reason: cutting staff and boosting profits via automation. But if you automate away enough jobs there won't be any economy left. 70% of it is driven by consumer spending after all. Our military is leaning very heavy into drone use. They're starting to incorporate AI-enhanced features to make them more efficient and accurate at finding enemy soldiers and hardware. An authoritarian police state could use the same hardware to violently crack down on citizens. One nightmare is a swarm of armed drones with buggy software going on an automatic kill fest, shooting any living thing they see.

The more likely thing is us humans being too reliant on AI that we can't fix bugs in software ourselves anymore and need AI to do it for us. That will leave us more vulnerable to black hat attacks to steal everyone's money and identities.

WildWestDesigns

The more likely thing is us humans being too reliant on AI that we can't fix bugs in software ourselves anymore and need AI to do it for us. That will leave us more vulnerable to black hat attacks to steal everyone's money and identities.
Already mostly there now. When all this stuff was just coming out, quite a few company employees were asking AI to refactor this code or do this, that and the other.

Most people in "security" now just really are glorified webapp UI readers to see if the dashboard is green and if it is, everything is good to go.

Again, levels upon levels upon levels of abstraction.

Electron on steroids. If sticking with just software.