• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it customer's fault or mine

tomence

Ok guys i had to design and layout a brochure. Everything is done and proof was emailed to the customer for aproval. After few hours he emails me back to go ahead and order the brochures. I got them in delivered them and few minutes latere i get a call from the customer saying that i have missed one letter in one word. Instead of "instructions" i typed "instuctions" so i missed the "r". So does this make my fault or is it theirs. Also this guy asked me to email him a proof so he can check for any mistakes.

I'd say you share the responsibility, but more of the burden is on you. I have customers all the time who fill out work orders or bring me copy to use that contain misspelled words and other mistakes. IMO, it is my job to correct those mistakes.

eye4clr

Assuming you spelled it out ahead of time that after the customer's approval of the proof all responsibility for mistakes are theirs - customer's fault.

Gotta make it more than clear ahead of time. Otherwise, 100% your fault.

Marlene

what did you have in writing on the proofs you sent to the customer? unless you clearly state that once OK'd by them it is considered ready for production you're kind of at fault as you have nothing that says it was up tothem to proof it. this is one of the things I have on my proof sheets. feel free to add it to your if you want. I got it from a type setter years ago and asked if I could use it as it helps out a lot when soemthing like this happens.

Attachments

• proof reading.jpg
    proof reading.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 76

iSign

I agree with the general consensus here.. the proof approval process should be designed to remove that responsibility from you, but it only works if it is clear to the client...

..if it was a 10 or 20 word sign, you should do it over, but in a 200 to 2000 word brochure, I would tell them it is so common, they should go look at a few other brochures & they may find at least one small error in many of them... this might encourage them to consider living with it, instead of reprinting it...

tomence

I offer them to reprint the brochures at half the cost i will cover one half of the price and they accepted the offer. Marlene thanks for the pdf i will use that in the next orders.

CheapVehicleWrap

Generally the problem is almost always the customers fault, but we're suppose to take blame for it anyhow.

Have you tried?

How could you miss that you moron? Why'd you sign off on that?!?!

Wow, I was wondering why they were SO cheap?

Most minds only see the first and last letters of the words, so it will mostly go unseen. Loretta might pick it up.

Really I think the answer is clear. They signed off. How many books have you read with typos? If the publisher thought they could blame it on the printer, you wouldn't see those. The SAI extreme color printing manual for $120 is a great example. It's only $120, approx only 60 pages, and happens to contain allot of common knowledge and ideas the author already published not to mention TONS of errors. But since it's printed on the finest of color paper...they shipped em.

joeshaul

I include a clause on my approval forms that states I won't be responsible for spelling errors/etc, however most of the time I will admit fault since I am the one that typed it. The only time I really object is in the case of someone's name, then I go by whatever the client gave me, and if what they gave me is bogus and what they proofed was bogus, they get bogus, I'd probably reorder at a discount, but I'd still make money off their error.

If it's something minor, such as one word out of a an essay, I'd offer a small discount (5% off or the like). I've seen typos in all kinds of literature, it happens, but it's one of those things I'm a stickler for and generally point out to someone nearby when I spot one. On one hand it generates more attention, but it also leaves that lack of professionalism taste. If the client seemed very unhappy, I would offer to reorder at my expense. Generally I make sure that I have enough money on outsourced items that I would only lose out on the design labor and not suffer a "loss" overall in case I have to reorder.

OneUpTenn

Well I am going against the crowd here. I would say it is the customer's fault. They proofed it! It is your job to design it and THEIR job to make sure it is correct. Seriously though I had to read the word twice to see what was wrong with the first word (without the R) so is it really that big of a deal????

tomence

Like you said me too i always want to make my clients happy no matter whose fault it is, but all depends on their behavior if they are nice and understand what the circumstances are then yeah i will try to do my best to work with them.

I include a clause on my approval forms that states I won't be responsible for spelling errors/etc, however most of the time I will admit fault since I am the one that typed it. The only time I really object is in the case of someone's name, then I go by whatever the client gave me, and if what they gave me is bogus and what they proofed was bogus, they get bogus, I'd probably reorder at a discount, but I'd still make money off their error.

If it's something minor, such as one word out of a an essay, I'd offer a small discount (5% off or the like). I've seen typos in all kinds of literature, it happens, but it's one of those things I'm a stickler for and generally point out to someone nearby when I spot one. On one hand it generates more attention, but it also leaves that lack of professionalism taste. If the client seemed very unhappy, I would offer to reorder at my expense. Generally I make sure that I have enough money on outsourced items that I would only lose out on the design labor and not suffer a "loss" overall in case I have to reorder.

surf city

I have always been under the impression that when you send a "proof" for a customer to look at they are supposed to "proof read" it. My proofs always state for them to check all art copy for design, layout and typographical errors. At the bottom where they sign also says "signature assumes all liability". If they sign it and it's wrong, it's NOT on me.

CL Graphics

If you spelled it wrong you should eat it. If he supplied the text with it spelled wrong its his problem. Either way you should always run a spell check before printing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm different in this department. I will only hold the customer accountable if it is names or foreign words or spellings. It's my job as a sign maker and a type setter to get the normal words spelled correctly. Even with the disclaimers... you can't fault a customer for something you goofed up.

It's a tough call, but sooner or later, you must be what you say you are.... a professional shop, so passing the blame for your misspelled words doesn't quite cut it in my book.

Let me ask you a two part question.......

~Did they supply the copy and all of the copy ??
~Was it spelled wrong on their original draft ??

joeshaul

I have always been under the impression that when you send a "proof" for a customer to look at they are supposed to "proof read" it. My proofs always state for them to check all art copy for design, layout and typographical errors. At the bottom where they sign also says "signature assumes all liability". If they sign it and it's wrong, it's NOT on me.

I think it depends a lot on whether you're focusing on service or production in your business. My father absolutely hates mayo, but loves burgers. He'll order a burger from a menu that states mayo on it, then be pissed that it came with mayo. Rarely does a restaurant say "Well, you read the menu, you ordered it from the menu, it's what you got", instead, they offer to make another. Of course, if you go to a shady place you have to worry about "spit"/"butt wipe"/"scrape the mayo off", etc being done to your food, but I already have my food at that point! I try to think of that in the same terms with my business.

tomence

I was the one that did the mistake after 10 times back and forth with them what they wanted and i guess this one slipped i didnt catch it. I never said to them hey it is your fault, but i did say that they did aproved it as it is, they were the one asked me to email them the final design so they can go over it and check for any errors, so i just wanted to know your opinions on this one. Also like i said i did offer them 50% discount and if they didnt accept it probably i would have reprint them at my own cost.

Techman

You as a professional will be held to a higher level of responsibility.

You cannot hide behind a singed proof.

Likewise. A customer cannot demand the product for free if there is a slight mistake. Compromise a little. Otherwise take it all back and redo it.

If he wants to keep it then he pays.

k.a.s.

Completely your fault, I don't care if they did proof it we as designers need to be able to spell. I have done it before (more than I care to metion) and I have always taken care of it. As Gino said, if it is a name or they supplied the text then it is on them, but if you typed it in and did the layout than it's on you.

I don't see it as any different than if a customer tells me to measure a sign, and I measure it wrong, I have to fix it. But if they send me measurments thats different.

I guess the question to ask is if this customer is worth losing by arguing with them over this.

Kevin