• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a good app for sign-makers workflow?

depps74

My business had a growth spurt recently, so I started researching productivity and workflow apps for my employees to stay on track and up to date with all the different stages each sign is in. I've looked into apps like Monday, Basecamp and Slack, but none of them really save time because they are not really geared towards fabrication. I've been using a homemade method of indexing proofs as to their status and that seems to work fine, but its certainly not perfect.

I recall seeing a sign-makers app, but can not remember what it was called.

clarizeyale

there is asana.. not my favorite but it works for now.

I don't like how basecamp works EXCEPT for their calendar (but I feel like this can be replicated with google cal)

I wish basecamp and asana had a baby cuz I like the look and feel of the list of tasks that asana offers but I don't like their calendar..

Slack is more for communicating with diff teams/workspaces... we also use slack with select clients to communicate and send jobs, etc.

rjssigns

If you have specific work cells you could use a basic job ticket system. At my former job the office would generate job tickets with all the specs. Along with this came the pull sheets for raw materials and stock parts. Job tickets were placed in wall hanging metal files according to priority.
Sign off sheets for competed tasks were inside the job jacket. Product moved from cell to cell until it was shipped.

There's a bit more to it, but you get the picture.

clarizeyale

If you have specific work cells you could use a basic job ticket system. At my former job the office would generate job tickets with all the specs. Along with this came the pull sheets for raw materials and stock parts. Job tickets were placed in wall hanging metal files according to priority.
Sign off sheets for competed tasks were inside the job jacket. Product moved from cell to cell until it was shipped.

There's a bit more to it, but you get the picture.

I wish my work operated like this. I tried to come up with a whole system but it's literally super difficult to get everyone going on it... I'm not even the boss :( there are other factors to this tooooo but oh well.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We've been using WorkflowMax since June. I wish I had it ten years ago.

If you have your phone, you have your entire office in the palm of your hand. 30 day free trial requires no credit card to try it out.

https://www.workflowmax.com/

Kat Gilland

We've started using Trello. Look into that!
It's working well for me. I have setup columns for where a particular job is in the process and can easily drag it back and forth. Each job has it's own file/card and can have images, all kinds of files, notes and tags all over it.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
My business had a growth spurt recently, so I started researching productivity and workflow apps for my employees to stay on track and up to date with all the different stages each sign is in. I've looked into apps like Monday, Basecamp and Slack, but none of them really save time because they are not really geared towards fabrication. I've been using a homemade method of indexing proofs as to their status and that seems to work fine, but its certainly not perfect.

What do you normally pay (or expect to pay) for such apps? There are many choices out there.

ThatGuy

We have tried them ALL. Spent a small fortune on software & cloud based services. The best & cheapest (free) has been Trello. You can customize it the way you need & adjust on the fly. I will never try another.

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids

I was in the software industry for 12 years developing a Printshop Management Software called PrintSmith from 88' and 2000 until I opened my own sign shop. My software didn't even work as good Signvox. (www.signvox.com) So I've worked with them since the beginning and it is awesome!

jimbug72

+1 for Trello.

We have hand written work order sheets that we fill out when the order is taken with areas for drawings etc. From there we make a Trello card for the job, snap a picture of the work order sheet and attach it along with any other relevant drawing/pics/notes for the job then send the card to the appropriate work station. The initial work order sheet then goes into the filing cabinet for work in progress then gets stapled to the printed invoice and filed away in the client's folder when the order is paid/complete.

This way all paper work is centrally located and no one has 50 pieces of paper moving across their desk all day long, getting lost/shuffled/damaged.

Chriswagner92

I am starting to become a fan of Airtable. Slack still sucks, but airtable does what i need to for both inventory and tasks and whatnot.

clarizeyale

may I ask, who on the team(s) uses these programs? My problem is getting people to use the apps/workflow programs. it's easy for me to adapt but for the rest of the shop, it becomes a challenge or only minimal to no usage is my result :(

we're a small shop of 6 people that handles a handful of jobs at a time and it would be nice to be organized more efficiently.... we consist of owner, admin/layout person, production manager, production people, and installers.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
may I ask, who on the team(s) uses these programs? My problem is getting people to use the apps/workflow programs. it's easy for me to adapt but for the rest of the shop, it becomes a challenge or only minimal to no usage is my result :(

we're a small shop of 6 people that handles a handful of jobs at a time and it would be nice to be organized more efficiently.... we consist of owner, admin/layout person, production manager, production people, and installers.

I hope anyone can imagine how to use this very common job board layout whether it's made of software or hardware.

Attachments

• jobboardexample.png
    jobboardexample.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 357
With trello, everyone on the staff uses it. Different boards for different departments. Most all communication can go right on each card so it stays with the job. Notifications can be turned on so you know when something if added to a card you are working on. If you decide to implement it, just make sure they know that this is what we are using going forward. Tell the employees why, and that it will be more efficient once we get through the learning curve. Took my guys about 1-2 weeks to get a good grasp of it and now everyone loves it

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I’m happy for all those who find something like Trello or kanban works for them as a job board but I’m also happy for all those who find a butter knife works for them as a screwdriver.

clarizeyale

I’m happy for all those who find something like Trello or kanban works for them as a job board but I’m also happy for all those who find a butter knife works for them as a screwdriver.
you have yet to actually share what you use so your sarcasm is not so appreciated.

My problem is people failing to stick with apps/programs that we use and making it a real part of our own workflow.