• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this anyway to treat a business friend?

J

john1

So i get a call from a customer wanting some graphics done, Ok cool. I do the meeting, get the deposit and start on the job.

The customer told me he was referred by so and so. So i call that person and tell them i appreciate the referral and of course it can't end at that. "Since i sent you that job here is a job i need done in return". Now i am thinking i should just shut my mouth and keep on truckin when someone refers me business.

Is this how referrals work because i didn't get the memo. :covereyes:

rjssigns

Wow, what a poop. Lotsa people got their hands out.
When we get a referral we make a note of where it came from. We will thank them and that is the end of it. If referrer comes to us we will give a discount based on the size of the referred job.

Locals Find!

I usually will throw clients who send me good closed cash in hand referrals a small discount on their next full price order. Usually 5-10% just enough to say thank you without taking a chunk of change out my bottom line.

However, I let it be known it's at my sole discretion and dependent on my mood.

petepaz

we have given discounts or if it's a cash job maybe give the person 20 bucks but never a free order. that's a little crazy to expect that

J

john1

Things like this really make me frustrated because helping someone can't be enough, You gotta help yourself at the same time. People are so ignorant.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When they do this... which many will try to do, just tell them.... yeah right. Okay, now what do you really want ?? Say it in a joking manner and say... I'll give ya a really good deal for sending him my way.

It could possibly be, this guy has such a low investment product, he naturally thinks yours is, also. Some people don't know the value of anything and want everything for free.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Was the guy asking for you to give him a bit of a discount or for you to do his whole job for free? If I were in your position, I would have given him a small discount - until he asked for one. With me, the quickest way to pay full price is to ask for a discount.

I feel like turning into the "Sign" Nazi - "No Sign for You. Come Back One Year"

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
for a while there I gave out referral bucks for jobs ... really a bad move on my part ... telling people this they never really got that it was a 10-20 to 1 referal rate, they expected a 1 to 1 or higher rate.

just tell him you don't work that way, and you do appreciate the referral and tell him if he needs the job you can see about what you can do to either go that extra step or help him out with the pricing. (generally an upgrade in size or type of materials gets you more in the long run that reducing your price)

2B

either a small discount on the next order, not suggested b/c it then becomes expectant.

Usually we mail a "thank you" card, with a hand written message.

J

john1

Was the guy asking for you to give him a bit of a discount or for you to do his whole job for free? If I were in your position, I would have given him a small discount - until he asked for one. With me, the quickest way to pay full price is to ask for a discount.

I feel like turning into the "Sign" Nazi - "No Sign for You. Come Back One Year"

Free...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, let's ask the next question..... what is the job worth that he wants for free ?? In other words, is it a job that'll cost you $15. or $25. to make ?? Then you'd normally turn around and sell it for $60 or $75. ?? Then give it to him. That's just good PR.

If it's $100 or more, tell him really thanks for the referral, but we don't work that way around here. I'll tell you what the project costs and what I'll knock off for you.... not the other way around.... capish ??

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I refer clients to people all the time, I don't expect anything... a thank you is nice, occasionally I am sent something like a Starbucks card or restaurant gift certificate. I appreciate the gesture. But the big thing is, I usually thank them. When I send a client to someone, I expect the client to be treated well. My name is on the referral and they are doing me the favor. So I have usually send the thank you, Starbucks card or 5 pizzas for the staff.

2B

I refer clients to people all the time, I don't expect anything... a thank you is nice, occasionally I am sent something like a Starbucks card or restaurant gift certificate. I appreciate the gesture. But the big thing is, I usually thank them. When I send a client to someone, I expect the client to be treated well. My name is on the referral and they are doing me the favor. So I have usually send the thank you, Starbucks card or 5 pizzas for the staff.
:goodpost: excellent

boxerbay

When they do this... which many will try to do, just tell them.... yeah right. Okay, now what do you really want ?? Say it in a joking manner and say... I'll give ya a really good deal for sending him my way.

It could possibly be, this guy has such a low investment product, he naturally thinks yours is, also. Some people don't know the value of anything and want everything for free.

perfect response... just spin it and say "I'll tell you what i'll do i'll give you a XX discount on this one." don't burn a bridge you got a referral $$ from. throw him a bone.

CustomEyes Design

I agree that the referrer's expectation was bad form. Consider also that perhaps the quick and intimate thank-you made you seem too appreciative. I have been guilty of the same thing - I get too excited, and want to network and work together and ....

Maybe waiting until the job is complete, or until your next natural interaction with the referrer to toss in a casual "thanks" would deflect such requests. For the persistent, suggest that you can only do that after a certain number of good referrals. Or a joking/sarcastic reply, "Man, I thought you recommended me because you think I'm good, not to get a discount for yourself!"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's one. Not quite a referral, but a gesture back to someone.

Customer had us do quite a bit of work from awnings, pole pocket banners, 2 electric signs and some other incidental signs. Everything was done and finished basically on time. He paid and then mentioned and referred his neighbor to us, who then did a backlit awning, some electric sign face replacements and some window lettering and so on. Finished that and got paid, but in the meantime, the first customer called about his banner not fitting correctly. Sure enough, the vendor made them one inch to wide and they didn't fit on the poles properly. I called the guy and told him he had to correct this. The vendor said... so we don't make the same mistake... send the measurements to me again. So, I did, but I wrote a number down incorrectly, but didn't realize it. Dropped the banners off and a day or so later, the guy calls me and says.... they're too long this time... whada ?? Called the vendor again and made sure of all the measurements. Got them in, decorated them and gave them to the guy. He called a day or so later and said we forgot to put the grommets on the edges to keep them from creeping out. I stopped by and took them down, brought them in and had one of the guys put the grommets in. I actually forgot about them and the customer called a week later and said..... Yo.... where's my banners..... :Oops:

I told him I'd drop them off that night on my way home. Something came up and I forgot again, so the next morning Kasey took them over.

I called the guy, told him I was sorry and was going to letter his next truck for free for his patience. This whole thing took place over about 6 or 7 weeks. He thanked me and said... hey chit happens, just buy me a beer at the next HBA meeting.

I'm still gonna honor my offer to him as he gets one or two trucks lettered a year. He's not a big outfit, but he's been a good customer for years and I want to keep it that way.

tsgstl

Referrals are the best cheapest way to expand your business. Use your brain, just make him think he is getting a better deal. Be a little more personal with him. Use words like "since it's you"
You don't have to lie to make a customer feel "preferred"
It's hard for me to understand wanting to turn a customer away if they refer others. As long as you control the perks then he is a good customer.

9 times out of 10 they will not price out your work if they feel special. And if they do then you don't want them anyway.