• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this REALLY how a sign cabinet should be built?!

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Yikes. If there are multiple sign sections that house electrical components that aren't assembled together at the manufacturing facility then each section needs a UL label. Are rivets so expensive that it prohibits someone from using enough lol? They aren't sealed rivets either.

Billct2

I've seen wall signs built that flimsy but once they are fastened to the wall they are Ok. Still wouldn't accept that cabinet, multiple issues besides the build.

MikePro

that's a fairly well-built, cheap sign. lol
looks like someone loves rivots, and realized how cheap it was so they dug up some self-tapping screws around the shop to "beef it up".

...no way I'd put that up with my name & insurance on it tho'. bet the whole retainer flexes in the wind and pops the face right off onto someone's car.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
that's a fairly well-built, cheap sign. lol
looks like someone loves rivots, and realized how cheap it was so they dug up some self-tapping screws around the shop to "beef it up".

...no way I'd put that up with my name & insurance on it tho'. bet the whole retainer flexes in the wind and pops the face right off onto someone's car.

That's what I was worried about. Maybe it would flex less once the whole thing is installed but my gut says this wasn't a good idea. I usually lift the cabinet up with the face in it (just slid out a little so I can both either end) but this thing could barely hold itself together, let alone a face.

They are building a new cabinet today with framework and should have it ready for pickup tomorrow morning. We'll see. I've never seen a cabinet so cheaply made... and I've seen a lot of signs.

unclebun

That actually looks a lot like some indoor signs we installed for a cable TV company's retail store. They were very flimsy until they went on the wall. Being that they are indoors it seemed sturdy enough for the use. I wonder if they accidentally built you an indoor cabinet.

We've also ordered cabinets that were built like a channel letter, which means the face is visible almost all the way to the edge of the sign. Kind of weird, but it makes an attractive sign. They are quite sturdily built though.

CBD American Shaman sign 2.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've seen SMALL cabinets built like channel letters but not a 4'x12'. I just picked it up and it's much better. Aluminum angle and tubing frame welded all around it. They don't know how this left the shop, apparently no one checked the new guy's work.

TammieH

I have never built a light box in my 40+ years...but this gives me hope LOL

I would have thought at least the braces would have had a couple welds, but what do I know

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Its much better now. There is a welded angle fram all around the sign, and welded tube to the angle on the back. Now the thing is structural and has no flex when mounted. They still forgot UL label but Im swining by tomorrow morning to have it put on because they had them locked up by the time I got there this evening.

20200806_193147.jpg
20200806_193122.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nit-picking - but the welds on the repairs look a little - rushed. I think I might shop around for the next box.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I know, I'd rather it was built differently but this will hold up I think. I would of rather the side walls be solid aluminum U channels, maybe 5" x 1.5" or something, welded together with a few angle in the middle.

It certainly feels much better and once the angles on the back are secured to the wall the entire frame does not flex at all.

I was really hoping to use these folks because they are local which saves on freight costs and shipping times, but I guess I'll have to stick with the quality people I'm used to.

Here is a view before I put the retainers on it.

20200806_191420.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That actually looks a lot like some indoor signs we installed for a cable TV company's retail store. They were very flimsy until they went on the wall. Being that they are indoors it seemed sturdy enough for the use. I wonder if they accidentally built you an indoor cabinet.

We've also ordered cabinets that were built like a channel letter, which means the face is visible almost all the way to the edge of the sign. Kind of weird, but it makes an attractive sign. They are quite sturdily built though.

View attachment 148337

Did someone forget to take the wrap off the mulliens?

rossmosh

Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing. Why not call them up or send them an email and say that you appreciate them getting this done and standing behind their work. Then state you're used to boxes being built a bit beefier. Send some pics. Then ask them how much it would cost to build them that way.

My guess is the price will be close to the same as the person you're buying from now when you factor in the freight, but as you said, you save on time, and you have someone local to work with vs having to freight stuff back and forth if there is ever a problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would probably help to let them know how many you might generate in a months time. Everyone likes repeat customers and sometimes are willing to go the extra mile for ya.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing. Why not call them up or send them an email and say that you appreciate them getting this done and standing behind their work. Then state you're used to boxes being built a bit beefier. Send some pics. Then ask them how much it would cost to build them that way.

My guess is the price will be close to the same as the person you're buying from now when you factor in the freight, but as you said, you save on time, and you have someone local to work with vs having to freight stuff back and forth if there is ever a problem.

I did send an email like that earlier. One thing though is that I called them 3 or 4 tines yesterday to remind them about the UL sticker and the phone never got answered. I remember calling weeks ago to place the order and same thing.

The owner was very nice and took care of it promptly. He gave me his cell phone number to reach out to him next time.

visual800

If you have gotten permit to do the work how are you hanging an un UL cabinet? unless the area you are working in doesn't require, but now you are taking on a lot of responsibility. jm.02

I always make a disclaimer IF Im hanging something I was not involved with knowing the manufacturer products, Im not responsible for the cabinet itself

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you have gotten permit to do the work how are you hanging an un UL cabinet? unless the area you are working in doesn't require, but now you are taking on a lot of responsibility. jm.02

I wouldn't hang a non-UL cabinet. They put the sticker on it this morning. It's being installed at an electrical supply house so there was no chance I was going to let that slip. No permit is required at the location.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, apparently there was miscommunication. They gave this project to the guy that builds channel letters and they told him to make a 4x12 box. He thought it was going to be a trim cap face. He wrapped it up and no one ever checked it before going out. Makes sense because it was built like a channel letter.