• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this REALLY how a sign cabinet should be built?!

signage

I wouldn't hang a non-UL cabinet. They put the sticker on it this morning. It's being installed at an electrical supply house so there was no chance I was going to let that slip. No permit is required at the location.

In no way does that cabinet meet UL.

signage

I always make a disclaimer IF Im hanging something I was not involved with knowing the manufacturer products, Im not responsible for the cabinet itself

You are working as a professional and a disclaimer will not hold you innocent, you should have known better the lawyers will say if god forbid something goes majorly wrong.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea I'm wondering too why this cabiet would "in no way meet UL". What about it doesn't? They used Paige wiring and Hanley LEDs & power supplies.. both are reputable brands.

unclebun

Yea I'm wondering too why this cabiet would "in no way meet UL". What about it doesn't? They used Paige wiring and Hanley LEDs & power supplies.. both are reputable brands.
It would run afoul of the requirements in section 4.1 for a cabinet which has the strength and rigidity to resist the conditions to which it will be subjected in the environment where it will be used, and to not have any sharp things inside which could injure a person or damage wiring on contact. That's on a casual viewing of your photo and by your description of its lack of rigidity.

That's on the first page of standards of UL48.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It would run afoul of the requirements in section 4.1 for a cabinet which has the strength and rigidity to resist the conditions to which it will be subjected in the environment where it will be used, and to not have any sharp things inside which could injure a person or damage wiring on contact. That's on a casual viewing of your photo and by your description of its lack of rigidity.

That's on the first page of standards of UL48.

Good to know. Did you read the follow up posts where it's a sturdy as an ox now?

I installed it and everything went well. The frame they added was very strong and they only way that sign is coming down is if the wall falls.... that's how I want my signs installed.

signage

wire running across those cut triangle brackets/supports, should have a protection strip applied were the wire are running across it. Also those weld look unprofessional can't tell from photo if they are really doing much.

Wonder if SpaceX had a UL sticker? Hey signage, get on that for us, OK.

I am not in the space program , I'm in the sign business, but it appears you are (mind can't keep on subject). :-{)}