• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Its worse than I could have imagined.......

ams

Happens to me often. I spent a couple hours creating a great design and they come back with "I just want a white background with black lettering"

Pat Whatley

I love the "architects don't do it" argument. Architects are required to take five years of college courses, do an internship, take an exam to prove they actually learned something, become licensed, and take continuing education classes.

Sign people need a bootleg copy of Illustrator and a $300 plotter to call themselves "graphic design branding experts"

You're comparing apples and oranges with that "architects don't do it" drivel.

J Hill Designs

We do spec work a lot. For a $15k project, its worth a few front-end hours.

Definitely just quote and say 'artwork upon quote approval' for sub ~$1k projects, however

player

Architects that do work on spec for huge multi-million dollar jobs. Go to an architect and ask him to design a dog house for you, but you will be going to 3 or 4 different architects and only pay for the design you like. Wait though, our customers don't pay for the design, only the finished sign... So tell the architect you will only pay for when the chosen architect builds you the chosen finished dog house.

Your portfolio and sales skills are what you use to get a signature and a deposit BEFORE doing a stitch of work. If you have neither then I guess you are at the mercy of a never ending open design contest, where the prize is to work for less than anybody else.

mark galoob

we wont start any project without at least a commitment to purchase. this can be a handshake, but we are very clear about the expectation to purchase... if a customer wants to see work my work i have a huge portfolio where we keep samples of every job or pics at least.

Techman

custom work has a completely different style of sales technique than commodity work.

Selling a commodity is always trying to beat the other cheaper guy. There is no winning it in any way other than service.
All one does is display the work and take the cash when someone purchases it.

Custom work is sold differently. Use a completely different marketing method and collect a deposit and away you go. If you do not get a deposit and the client thinks the piece is a commodity he will never pay the bill.

copythat

Hmmm

Your layout was brilliant. But cleint looks as though he wanted Hospital to be shown. I would rather have your layout and Hospital in it.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I think the first layout was good, like others said ... if he was trying to be a serious vet, probably not the right fit for him ... but judging from the guy, you probably wouldn't know that until after the first design.

As for the whole unprofessional if you do spec work thing ... I don't do spec work often, but when I do ... it follows 3 basic criteria (1. I'm not pushing jobs for it. (2. it's over a certain money amount for the job. i.e. no $20 jobs and (3. I have to like you. It doesn't make me unprofessional, it does however use my down time efficiently ... and if I had an employee that was being paid, but was not being used for jobs at that moment ... I would have him/her doing all sorts of spec work for bids.

signguypgh

Lots of great comments. I think the "free design" world happens when the commodity work that rolls of printers and vinyl plotters gets confused with custom. Different types of projects need presented and sold differently. If you're selling channel letters just like you sell banners and stickers, well, good luck with that.

Even with commodity work, the design work isn't "free" even if it is offered that way. Factor in some standard design time. The only thing that can save you is solid business practices and communication.

Here is my approach: "Hello Mr/Ms. Client, here is the cost of a one color vinyl banner with text, here is the cost of a full color digital with 1/2 hour of custom design time, we can always add more time if you need it. Please make your choice". Good pictures of both drive home the message and save you from hell. Present the commodity with the value built in. People are afraid of a "never ending clock" when shown hourly rates. Show them budget and higher end options. If they want it cheaper let them leave.

Convenience and ease of pricing is the reason why outfits like national franchises that offer print services sometimes have "outrageous" pricing. They make it convenient to navigate and buy, and surprise surprise, it works.

With custom work the portfolio drives the sale. Fantastic hands on samples side by side with the garbage hacks do is night and day. It's all about the little things you do to score the job while protecting yourself from the "design contest" already mentioned.

TheSnowman

we wont start any project without at least a commitment to purchase. this can be a handshake, but we are very clear about the expectation to purchase... if a customer wants to see work my work i have a huge portfolio where we keep samples of every job or pics at least.

I generally do this too. I show them where they can see our work in town if they aren't familiar, and I quote the job for them and tell them upon approval of pricing, we'll start artwork. I have a lot of repeat customers though, so generally, I don't make a repeat customer put any money down.

JR's

It reminds me of a cartoon I seen in signcraft.
Where the sign painter and customer was talking about a sign.
The customer wanted a nice sign, and the thought bubbles over the customer and the artist were totally different.
I always thought it would be really nice seeing a thought bubble before I began a project. LOL