• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Join the BBB?

Dice

So a Sales Manager for the Local BBB came in and gave a song and dance that we should join the BBB.

In the Past 2 Years we had 3 complaints filed against us. All resolved very quickly. We resolved them on our own soon as we learned about them.

Said we should have an A- rating if we join which is $680 bucks.

Song and dance says that our sales should go up 13% from joining and get backlinks to our website on google.

I'm on the fence about joining. What do you guys think.

Pat Whatley

Ask yourself this....how often have you used the BBB for company info, to file a complaint, or to find a supplier?

Personally I can say I've never done it and wouldn't even know where to start looking if I did want to use them.

Ask them to let you join for free and you'll give them 20% commission on any of that sales increase they promise.

HaroldDesign

I suppose it could help people feel warm and fuzzy if the business is primarily an online thing, but otherwise it probably isn't going to translate to more business.

Patrick46

I too have had such an offer, but nope....not fer me.

I have considered joining my local Chamber of Commerce...has anyone done this??
(sorry to steal your thread Dice)

binki

We told the BBB no and the guy who called proceeded to insult me and my company. NO @$$ho13

We are a member of the COC but probably will not renew. We have picked up about $25 in business from this relationship and they got our web address wrong on their site.

To be fair, if you are going to be a COC member then you must participate. If you don't it isn't worth a dime.

Flame

BBB is a complete, utter, useless waste of energy. They put out ZERO positive influence on ANYONE.

That's my opinion... I hate em.

Chamber of Commerce... good!

southpawP8NTR

I'm on our chamber board.And would highly recommend it, think on a local level and try to give back. I have had the BBB come see me also. I told him that if I take care of business and back up my work, I wouldn't really need them. It's justification, that's all.

ProWraps

we joined the COC. it was worthless. bunch of mixers that the same 20 people went to to get the free food. no one cared about each others business.

as far as i know about the bbb, they are only there to report the bad about your business, not promote the good.

GypsyGraphics

Personally, I'd pass on the BBB.

As for the chamber of commerce...YES!!! For me, it took 6-8 months before any impact to be realized. But now 8 years later, a good portion of clients come to me through the chamber, be it the chamber website, direct referral or meeting at a chamber event.

However, if you join and don't participate and take advantage of the unique link to the business community, then you'd be wasting your money.

Two years ago was a record breaking year for me, nearly 50% of my business that year was due to my affiliation with the chamber. There was a direct correlation to one speaking engagement in particular that brought about the spike in business.

Went to a chamber breakfast this morning and was approached by three potential new clients.... hours later two called to scheduled appointments and the other I called.... 3 for 3!

And I thought the best thing about the morning was gonna be the bacon with my breakfast.

royster13

I am sure many businesses are very successful without the BBB and many that get a great return on investment if they join BBB....

In my business I get lots of orders from folks that do not know me....So I thought joining would help me get more.....I have made my application and hopefully I will be able to put the BBB logo on my web sites soon..I think it will be a good marketing investment....

ProWraps

and it only took 8 years!!!!!

heh. im just playing with you. i agree with you. you must be very active over a prolonged period of time and the COC would probably pay off if you got more involved in just the mixers such as the board etc. we just didnt have the time to put into it. and got tired of the mixers.

one thing i forgot to mention also was networking groups or referal groups. we joined one, and had to drop it only because we didnt have the time to keep going to the lunches every week.

had we had more employees we would have stayed in and im sure would have seen somewhat of a gain in business.

Techman

why would any one pay a fee to a group that keeps a file of negative reports?
No fee no reports... Simple.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Did anyone else tell you no? And the Chamber is a GREAT resource if you work it and stay active. If you sit back and wait for the business.. it won't happen.

BBB is a total waste of money.

TheSnowman

Chamber is good (however saying that, I'm not a member, but about everyone else that owns a business in my town is).

BBB is an utter and complete joke. They called me to get me to sign up, and I told me about a guy that screwed me out of several thousand dollars. They told me they'd help me file a complaint, and when I did, I was told that since I didn't buy anything, and they bought from me, I couldn't file against them. It's useless.

Air Art Girl

I agree with most post here.

Join your local chamber. We can't attend the luncheons usually so we go to the monthly more casual after hours mixers.

We have gotten a lot of business from other chamber members.

southpawP8NTR

With some chambers like ours we also have other community oriented committees. Scholarships and downtown development are just a couple. I believe that it benefits your business by being active in the community. People see that you care about what is going on where you do business.

It is true though about you get what you put into it.

GypsyGraphics

and it only took 8 years!!!!!
heh. im just playing with you. i agree with you. you must be very active over a prolonged period of time and the COC would probably pay off if you got more involved in just the mixers such as the board etc. we just didn't have the time to put into it. and got tired of the mixers.

one thing i forgot to mention also was networking groups or referal groups. we joined one, and had to drop it only because we didn't have the time to keep going to the lunches every week.

had we had more employees we would have stayed in and i'm sure would have seen somewhat of a gain in business.

It didn't take 8 years, it took 6-8 months, to see an improvement that could be directly associated to being a chamber member.

I forgot to mention, I never go to the mixers. It appeared to me you need to be the kind of person who can work the crowd.... and that's not me. I go to things that afford me the opportunity to stand up, introduce myself/business to the group as a whole. Also look for events that offer some kind of education or speakers that I'm interested in.

I'm not a fan of referral groups, because I don't believe in referring or using someone's service just because they're in the group. I don't keep that opinion to myself, so I don't imagine I'd be someone they'd want as a member.

mark in tx

No on BBB, I think its just a protection racket. Without the knee breaking.

Yes on Chamber. But you have to participate and realise it will take a little while to make things happen.