• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just don’t get this essential thing...rant

neutrinocv

For those of you who think that this is an exageration, a communist scam or whatever... and that nothing or not that much should be done; I encourage you to keep a close on Mexico. They've been doing almost next to nothing so far; watch the sad mess explode in the coming days. The African continent is next in line as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Step up toad and grill your other half a rack of ribs on the grill tonight. Then, have some gummy bears for dessert. Wash it down with some of your free wine from your buddy at the vineyard. :toasting:

TimToad

I’m keeping to the “is this job worth dying for” train of thought. So far not much has been so I’m currently in bed eating pizza

Yep. It isn't the me dying part that motivates me most, it's the caring about the lives of elderly neighbors, friends with suppressed immune systems, etc... that I'm most concerned with.

No walk ins allowed and we're not doing any person to person sales calls. We've done two big septic service trucks in the last week due to the local regulations requiring them to be fully marked before being put into service, some security related signs for our local school district, and some fire dept. warning type signs. I can do any design work from home. Adobe CC is totally portable.

TimToad

Man it's in the numbers...
(deaths) / (recovered cases) = mortality rate (that is the percentage of folks who get it that die)
so let's do the math.
Flu (Source: Gino. I haven't looked them up)
55,000 / 51,000,000 = 0.001078431372549 (0.107%[multiply by 100 to get a percentage value])
C-19 (I'll be using the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 tracker for these numbers)
25,423 / 127,768 = 0.1989778348256214 (19.89%)
Even calling all of the total confirmed cases as recovered (as if all of the dying is over), you are left with
25,423 / 566,269 = 0.0448956238112982 (4.49%)
Just a reminder, these are the odds that you will die if you yourself got the virus. Just saying, the numbers show this thing to be 42 time more deadly than the flu. Hitchhiker's jokes aside, that's some scary sh!t.
View attachment 146259

Unknown in those statistics is the lack of reporting coming from Russia and other countries not tapped into the reporting protocols.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I agree on the lack of consistent restraint being practiced. In my immediate area, the dog groomer, a t-shirt printer, used car lots, RV sales lot, beauty supply, etc. etc. etc... have been open every day and receiving customers like any other normal day. Folks and business owners just aren't taking it anywhere near serious enough. If they were, the new unemployment claims would be like 50% of the workforce or more. When I saw it was only 3.2 million, my jaw dropped.

I think you're being a little harsh on prejudging folks on their motivations for eating take out. Here's some food for thought...... LOL

I've seen many, many, many references and encouragements to patronize local restaurants to help them survive and weather the storm financially. Many restaurants are risking their own safety and health to provide meals for first responders, homeless shelters, etc...

There are countless stories of this and many are doing it on their own dime, donations and GoFundMe monies.

Also, the concept of "comfort" food in America includes fast food and take out food, so many when under stress or feeling overwhelmed, the logical relief comes in the form of having someone else cook dinner or other meal.
I get it and do appreciate people helping out. I think my frustration is more rooted in personal acquaintances that cant keep a dollar in their pocket even in the face of whats coming.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
Not sure about all of you, but we are essential just for the fact that right now we are only producing signs that have something to do with Covid. City Hall Closed, Campus Closed, Park Closed, We are still open...etc. We have done a lot of signs and banners reminding people to "Social Distance" as well. We have our Sales Floor closed to walk ins. and only pick ups or deliveries allowed inside. Due to Fire Code the door is unlocked, Who Pisses me off are the (more than usual because they have nothing better to do now) are the damn "Tire Kickers" I was thinkin' of wrapping my 88 Honda civic..... GET OUT.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
Using just the US numbers. Our much superior medical system (regardless of what some say) more like 1.5% infected to Death. Yes still much worse than the standard Flu. But we can not use the numbers of other countries that do not have our wealth.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It all depends on how the testing is implemented. Germany has a really low death % simply because they have tested anyone who may have it. Here in the UK we only test people that need medical treatment so our numbers are probably a lot lower than the actual figures.

With the USA the confirmed cases have shot up pretty rapidly. I hope that’s a testament to your testing policy and not just a really bad sign - remember, some people could be in the hospital with this for easily 1-3 weeks before dying.

then there’s the fact that once all the respirators get used up, people that would otherwise survive may not.

It’s been 3 weeks since Italy put a full lockdown and its only now their numbers seem to be starting to plateau - I fear the worst is yet to come with regards to the USA. Hopefully I’m wrong!