Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just finished this sign today

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by ams, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    We made this all in house. 1/2" white acrylic, painted most letters black and one gray. Then did a print/lam on the graphic. They had that ugly banner with wind silts for no reason up, so we replaced it with something much better.

By the way, yes they should have painted the building first, but hey they are super happy with this.

IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG
    IMG_7180.JPG

Tags:
    • Like Like x 17
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Looks great, huge improvement over the banner. Shame they didn't paint it before you put your nice letters up but I guess they only had money for one or the other.

If you don't mind me asking how did you paint the letters?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I love it!!! The colors are beautiful!

4. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks, I sanded them with fine sandpaper, sprayed on a primer and then did 3 coats of paint with a Lowe's HVLP spray gun and an air compressor.

5. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Thank you, the power of a Roland. :D

6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Why on earth did they not paint the wall... at least the section you were putting the sign on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I agree. Kinda sad they didn't paint the wall. But this is a huge improvement over the banner. You can't even hardly see the ampersand in the banner.

8. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Great job on the new signage, but no paint prior to installation is bizarre. Honestly, it doesn't even make sense on sooo many levels. But whatever, I guess. It's their gorgeous sign stuck to an ugly a$$ wall.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The wind slits were for the smell of the fish to vent out of the building

• Like Like x 2
  10. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Actually they couldn't paint the building due to the banner being screwed into the wall. Maybe in the future when they paint it, it will look more awesome.

11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    And I can't go clean the bathroom because the door is closed. Oh well,

• Like Like x 5
  12. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Unfortunately this half-assed approach of not painting a section off the wall before installing this type of sign will have a negative effect in the future. With a little fore-thought, you could have prepped for the install and painted a section before the install. A fast dry paint would have dried inside of an hours time in which you could have prepped the letters and taken a short break. The end result would have made for a very nice and finished product as well a thrilled customer. (Just My Personal Opinion)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Wall is horrendous. Sign guy should have insisted, and included painting that section in the price. Sign guy is to blame.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Why not just use black acrylic?

15. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Not to pile on but if your company can't afford to donate a couple gallons of paint, roller sleeves and a few manhours to your local anti-hunger resource center, you gotta raise your prices or rethink your level of charitable giving.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I didn't do the banner and didn't know what the condition was underneath. Also the tape on the wall for the template ripped paint off, it was in bad shape. But the customer couldn't stop saying enough great things about the sign and loved it. So as long as she is happy, I am happy. I will follow up with her to see if she wants us to paint around the letters.

17. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    They didn't go with that option, they preferred the white acrylic to have the white edge.

18. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I suspected nothing less than an *** of a comment from you.

19. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The way I see it, its laziness and not caring about your work or the customer. They didn't paint it cause the banner was there? But no one knew what it looked like underneath but when you removed it you guys saw it and didn't care? Didn't stop and ask the customer, hey this wall looks like crap, mind if we paint it BEFORE putting letters up?

Your letters look nice, but the installation is just thoughtless or laziness. People just do the bare minimum to get paid and go home. Sad

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Being the devils advocate here....I wouldn't paint it for free and more than likely they were not going to pay for all costs considering the circumstance so its a battle of who could care less, contractor wins that one. You're already out there to do an install with associated costs, who pays for that? Its not like you conveniently keep a gallon of matched paint and rollers with you. So you would have to call off the install, push back whatever else is on your schedule, go to the paint store, come back, paint, pay guys for that, wait until it dries, pay guys for that too. A phone call explaining the situation and costs would have been the best course.
    Remember, you have overhead costs. When you do something for free, you are actually paying for someone elses project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.