• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just finished this sign today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Really nice work. A definite improvement and upgrade on the previous banner.
Looks great. Congratulations.

SignsSupport

Billct2

I took a look, thought nice sign, shame they didn't paint the wall first and moved on...till I just read Rick's post. The letters are clearly messed up exactly how he has shown, and you can see it in the pic of them on the ground. The Y is obviously thicker and you can see the center of the P is off. Customer will probably never notice...and then again if the logo designer sees it they might.

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 414

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
When I offset that typeface I get this...

Attachments

• fish close up.jpeg
    fish close up.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 381

Rick

When I superimpose my offset path, with your plot file, I get this...

I included a .pdf so you have access to that...

What program did you offset path?
Was the typeface in the original file compounded, or not?

Attachments

• superimpose.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 371
  • superimpose.jpeg
    superimpose.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 386

ams

This is how bad the artwork was when I imported it. Apparently someone traced it or attempted to steal it off something like shutterstock and didn't bother to clean it up. However I didn't produce that banner, their box truck, their sponsors sign or any of their other stuff. So this is the only file I had to work with.

lf3.jpg

lf4.jpg

Rick

So my original thought was that your CNC software cut the perimeter of the typeface, and the tool path on the holes were not aligned correctly.

What it appears to me now is...

The outside of your offset letters were selected, but the insides of the unmodified letters were selected. Then sent to the router.

I would go back to the software you used, offset the path... take a look in wireframe to see if it's consistent (like mine) you may find that the incorrect vectors were selected. Again, I can see that happening... not an idiot mistake, just an oversight. We all do it.

If it were me in your position, I would always do this type of modification in Corel (or Illustrator) Then send it to my routing software.
I would never use my routing software because it's clunky, the selection tools are clunky and I always want to keep a record of my files in a useable format for the client - like Corel

Last edited:

ams

So my original thought was that your CNC software cut the perimeter of the typeface, and the tool path on the holes were not aligned correctly.

What it appears to me now it...

The outside of your offset letters were selected, but the insides of the unmodified letters were selected. Then sent to the router.

I would go back to the software you used, offset the path... take a look in wireframe to see if it's consistent (like mine) you may find that the incorrect vectors were selected. Again, I can see that happening... not an idiot mistake, just an oversight. We all do it.

If it were me in your position, I would always do this type of modification in Corel (or Illustrator) Then send it to my routing software.
I would never use my routing software because it's clunky, the selection tools are clunky and I always want to keep a record of my files in a useable format for the client - like Corel

I use Corel X8. But if a customer provides their "logo" and it's a nasty file, a lot of times they don't want you to touch it. I've tried cleaning up things before and they tell me that I altered it and need to redo it how it was sent to me. It's always a losing battle for sign shops.

Rick

I use Corel X8. But if a customer provides their "logo" and it's a nasty file, a lot of times they don't want you to touch it. I've tried cleaning up things before and they tell me that I altered it and need to redo it how it was sent to me. It's always a losing battle for sign shops.

I was told a long time ago by one of my mentors that playing with someones logo depends on how well you know the client... you would never stick your finger up a clients nose (logo) to pick out a booger, but some will let you insert it up their butt (logo) if they trust you...

I personally would not have offset the letters for the reason you did. It makes sense why you did, I can see why you did, and I would not argue that at all, we all have varied production processes. But when I mess with someone else's file, it's easy to miss something... I try to avoid modifying at all costs.

rossmosh

Here's my guess:

You selected the letters and did a profile cut going on the outside. The software cut the outside of the interior of the "o" and "a" instead of doing an interior cut. If you group the "o" and "a" in your router software, it likely would not have done this. This is why the letter's interior appears to be off roughly 1/4".

Also one hint for laying out your drill holes. Draw 3-4 horizontal lines. Then drop your drill holes on those lines. If that line is level, your letters will be level.

Also in the future, you don't necessarily have to tap all those holes. Drill the hole the exact size of the stud. Fill with silicone/Lexel and insert the studs. Saves a bunch of time vs tapping so many holes, especially on thinner material where it's hard to get many threads. One advantage of PVC/wood to acrylic is you don't have to do either method. Just cut the holes slightly undersized and screw your studs in.

Attachments

• Toolpaths.png
    Toolpaths.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 372

DerbyCitySignGuy

I did not spread misinformation, you just hear what you want to hear. I made 3 specific examples known personally to me. Just because you have an idea in your head does not make it true.
Cite your sources showing how they have bare minimum employees and that most are volunteers. Show me a factual correlation between pay rate and company profits in any industry both profit and non profit You wont find any. You're a 1 pony show every single time pay rates come up, its always and only about the dollar. Its never about purpose or self fulfilment in a job. If people did not want to work these jobs or didn't get some sort of benefit from it then they would simply go work wherever they could get the highest pay. That's economics 101. It's just not that simple though.
If youre getting paid to do a job, then you are not donating anything and if getting paid less than your earning capacity is charity, then my current title would be volunteer.

I'm not going to argue with you. I read exactly what you wrote, which is that non-profits have too much money and they pay their directors too much. It's in writing. You were objectively wrong based on the information TimToad linked.

Anyway, not gonna argue, there's no real need. Hope you're having a better day than I am!

a77

Even with all the negativity, you have to admit that Rick's detective work was impressive, and I'm sure some people learned from this situation - I know I did.

The question is: AMS will you replace the incorrectly produced letters?

ams

Even with all the negativity, you have to admit that Rick's detective work was impressive, and I'm sure some people learned from this situation - I know I did.

The question is: AMS will you replace the incorrectly produced letters?

Why would I replace the letters when the original file I had received wasn't correct to begin with?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Why would I replace the letters when the original file I had received wasn't correct to begin with?

If you are satisfied that the job is complete to your standards, then no, of course you don't have to make it right.

ams

If you are satisfied that the job is complete to your standards, then no, of course you don't have to make it right.

The executive director thanked us a half dozen times and said it was awesome and that she was very happy with it. So if she is super happy with it, I am happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.