• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-130 SP II

teJville

Hello everyone. I’m looking to buy an old JV3-130 SP II Mimaki, and the owner sent me this picture of the nuzzle check. The printer has only 2 dx4 heads (CMYK). The printer did't print much in the past year. What do you think? Thanks.

117638564-3161215063956683-4800226498413727651-n.jpg

Attachments

• 117638564_3161215063956683_4800226498413727651_n.jpg
    117638564_3161215063956683_4800226498413727651_n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 327

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Don't buy it. There are many JV33 or JV300 out there. I have used ones.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You are are being mislead. That printer has 4 DX4 heads, one for each color. It is in CMYKx2 mode and all 4 heads appear to be damaged. So you are looking at several thousand dollars just for the heads, not counting whatever else may be wrong with it, plus labor. Go for a newer machine.

teJville

I've talked with the owner and he said that he did't print for 4-5 month on it, it was only ocassional printing and it was only in maintenance/cleaning mode. Do you think that the heads will recover ? There are no line missing, only not in the correct order.

MikePro

those heads are in the correct order. we say CMYK, but JV3's are setup as KMCY. black printhead being zero, and the MCY printheads align to it.

as far as printhead recovery is concerned, its worth a shot.... majority of the nozzles are a bit deflected and some long head soaks & cleanings & new wiper blade might recover a good portion of them.
....BUT that gash down the middle is most likely a brutal headstrike between the metal printhead and some metal component like a edge holder. highly unlikely those will recover. if you were to look on the underside of the printhead, i bet you'll see the extent of the damage to the metal. you can't recover damaged metal nozzles.

similar to a shower-head, with all the nozzles spraying water. over time they gunk-up, and some Calcium-Lime-Rust remover solvent can clear them back out & have them operating like-new, BUT imagine taking a claw hammer and giving the face of the shower head a clean WHACK...denting/benting/cleaving-off the nozzles in a line, they'll never fire again properly, if at all.

No doubt that machine can still print, but you will have noticeable banding and color issues, and those heads are $650+ each. Relatively easy to replace yourself, with the right direction, but most tech's will charge an additional $500+/printhead plus travel to install&align.

teJville

those heads are in the correct order. we say CMYK, but JV3's are setup as KMCY. black printhead being zero, and the MCY printheads align to it.

as far as printhead recovery is concerned, its worth a shot.... majority of the nozzles are a bit deflected and some long head soaks & cleanings & new wiper blade might recover a good portion of them.
....BUT that gash down the middle is most likely a brutal headstrike between the metal printhead and some metal component like a edge holder. highly unlikely those will recover. if you were to look on the underside of the printhead, i bet you'll see the extent of the damage to the metal. you can't recover damaged metal nozzles.

similar to a shower-head, with all the nozzles spraying water. over time they gunk-up, and some Calcium-Lime-Rust remover solvent can clear them back out & have them operating like-new, BUT imagine taking a claw hammer and giving the face of the shower head a clean WHACK...denting/benting/cleaving-off the nozzles in a line, they'll never fire again properly, if at all.

No doubt that machine can still print, but you will have noticeable banding and color issues, and those heads are $650+ each. Relatively easy to replace yourself, with the right direction, but most tech's will charge an additional $500+/printhead plus travel to install&align.

Now that's a response!! Thank you a lot!
Yes, I know the printer is old and it will be a headache to make it work properly but I can't find one that its in my budget. And the owner will give me alot of spare parts, he will make new profiles, install the software on my pc and everything that is necesary to make it run. So i think its a good deal. How mutch do you think it's a good price? He asks 2000 euros for it.

what gash in the middle do you refer? on the red?

Please explain to me, he said the printer has 2 dx4 heads, one for 2 colors. Is that correct? He also has a 3rd head but it's only working about 60%.

About the printhead, I think i manage it to change it myself so no warries about that.

Thank you alot for your responce.

MikePro

ah.... by "gash down the middle" i think i was referring to the gap between the two nozzle test prints. originally looked like it was just one with a giant "oooh sh*t" down the middle.
"now that's a horse of a different color!"

there's still quite a few deflected nozzles amongst them all, but they appear to be firing. new wiper blade and a clean capping station that printer might just be worth putting material through after a few cleanings. those machines will run forever with proper maintenance, and seems like a decent price considering he's willing to get you completely setup&running.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Those printheads are all damaged and cannot be repaired. Mimaki "for some reason" used button heads screws in the capping station instead of flush/recessed mount screws. If the heads get stuck to the caps (like if you don't use it for a while) it'll damage the heads like this when they drag across them. When I started at this company we had this happen and the tech come out and replace a couple heads on each machine. I took a look at them and realized what was happening and fixed the issue. I was told that the tech was out every 6 months or so replacing a head for us until that... Never had it happen again.

Sucky part is, otherwise it looks like a good nozzlecheck for a JV3, it was probably just fine till very recently when this happened. Anyone still running a JV3 go out and replace those screws TODAY. Best 50 cent repair you'll ever make.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
Hello everyone. I’m looking to buy an old JV3-130 SP II Mimaki, and the owner sent me this picture of the nuzzle check. The printer has only 2 dx4 heads (CMYK). The printer did't print much in the past year. What do you think? Thanks.

117638564-3161215063956683-4800226498413727651-n.jpg

DO NOT BUY !!
These are Epson Printheads, if you see these it automatically means head replacement, if the person you are buying from could fix it he would never send you a test print looking like this. You don't want to spend that much money on a used machine.

teJville

Ok. So recap. this is the printer. For the past year the current owner did’t print much with it and only stayed in maintanace/cleaning mode. What do you think? Will the printheads will get better overtime if i print daily with it? The nozzles only seems to be deflected not missing. Also, a price of 2000e its ok for it? (The owner will install the printer for me on my pc, make new profiles and 1 new set of cartiages, new dumpers), also a bunch of spare parts.

thanks guys. Very nice community.

Attachments

• A334835B-AD8E-45CA-BE40-C788FD8EE10E.jpeg
    A334835B-AD8E-45CA-BE40-C788FD8EE10E.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 0D4F20FE-D2E7-40B1-A561-C131B0574098.jpeg
    0D4F20FE-D2E7-40B1-A561-C131B0574098.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 25EEC719-961F-444D-9EB1-0C2FFBA25B04.jpeg
    25EEC719-961F-444D-9EB1-0C2FFBA25B04.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 189
  • B98E9415-4C68-45A6-AD51-7C6786400CBD.jpeg
    B98E9415-4C68-45A6-AD51-7C6786400CBD.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 182

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It’s the nozzle check you have to worry about. If that’s the best nozzle check he can get out of it (to make it look sellable) then you’re going to have a hard time printing anything that doesn’t look crappy.

That does not look like a machine that’s been properly cared for based on the photos (and his place looks like a giant fire hazard too). There’s a very good chance you’ll be spending 2k on a brick. You’ll spend at LEAST another 2k getting it fixed and running. Then you’ll need a cutter and a laminator.

ThIs one might be within your budget just now but youll be on here In two weeks wondering if the €250 print heads you’ve ordered from Indonesia will ever come because you can’t afford the ones that will actually show up

jfiscus

Rap Master
Did you read the replies above? The print heads are all 100% damaged and will NOT be repairable.
They all need replaced and cost about $1000 each (around $5000 total), not counting labor.

We had trouble selling the same machine (in better shape) for $1000 a couple years ago with all good printheads.

In its current state it is only sell able as a parts machine and not worth $500. Do not buy it.
Also, the cartridges for this machine are really starting to get hard to find and expensive now that not many people are running them.

teJville

Hey guys. This is the printhead after few cleanings. What do you think?

Attachments

• BDAE24FE-2D2A-47E5-B303-3799E7FF35B6.jpeg
    BDAE24FE-2D2A-47E5-B303-3799E7FF35B6.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 201

ChicagoGraphics

Did you read the replies above? The print heads are all 100% damaged and will NOT be repairable.
They all need replaced and cost about $1000 each (around $5000 total), not counting labor.

We had trouble selling the same machine (in better shape) for $1000 a couple years ago with all good printheads.

In its current state it is only sell able as a parts machine and not worth $500. Do not buy it.
Also, the cartridges for this machine are really starting to get hard to find and expensive now that not many people are running them.

Thats why you use a bulk ink system on the older machines.

teJville

The printer is runing... why another 5k if it prints? look at the last picture of the nozzle test i've uploaded..

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You seriously need to reconsider. If you haven't bought it yet, then don't.

The printer does NOT have 2 heads, it has 3. It originally was designed as a CMYKx2 printer with 4 printheads. It look like it was converted to 6 color mode, i.e., CMYKLcLm and the third head has black? ink in it or something. Plus it appears all the heads are damaged beyond repair. Have you looked at the bottom of the heads? Remove the silver cover on the left end of the printer , move the print head carriage down there and kook at the bottom of the heads. I suspect you will see damage on the bottom of the heads. Yes, it is running, but it is a very old printer and with the heads in the condition they are in, your prints are going to look horrible with lots of banding. Does it come with RIP software? As others have said, you are going to drop a lot of money into it to get saleable prints. It's kind of like deciding to repair a dead Pentium era PC.

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Just take your 2000 and throw it in the street. Enough on this; DON'T buy that printer, or take that printer, EVEN IF HE GIVES IT TO YOU.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I just gave away a JV-3 250sp to a scrap guy. 4 bad heads and I couldnt give it away. That thing isnt worth putting $2500 in heads and a bulk ink system on. Save up and buy a newer machine.
Or learn an expensive lesson and waste your money.