• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating by hand

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I've combed through old posts but can anyone offer some advice?

We do not have a laminator. I am looking to lam small items (under 2 sq/ft). I tried to just lay it down and squeegie it but was not happy with the results and it seems bubble happy.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

Billct2

We do this, just like laying down vinyl.
Tape the piece to be laminated to the table, hinge the laminate on one end.
Apply using 6" felt squeege.

Mainframe

We do this, just like laying down vinyl.
Tape the piece to be laminated to the table, hinge the laminate on one end.
Apply using 6" felt squeege.

DUDE! You really need to click Fred's link, life will open up & blossom for you, I promise! The Big squeegee is the bomb! A felt squeegee is a really rough way to do it, yikes!

Billct2

I have a BS.
I'm just saying it it is quick & easy to do (small prints) if you want, and the results are fine, not rough.

Bill43mx

Mike,
As long as you are only doing small prints I'd suggest you consider this manual laminator: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PERFECT-25-...877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5640e0735d

We've used this exact model for over 2 years now and it does a great job. It's as basic as it gets, and is limited to 25" wide material, but it lays down bubblefree laminate every time. We just purchased a "real" 65" laminator, but I'm not getting rid of our 25" it's way too handy for the small jobs!

The big squeegie is also a nice tool but personally I could never get consistent results with it.

MikePro

Just get a mini roller and liquid lam costs like $60 a gallon, which should be enough for a roll of print

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
We've been using a spray lam but I don't like the finished product at all. Does the lliquid lam self level?

Is it a nicer finish than spray anyway?

Thanks for all the suggestions, just can't justify a good lmainator right now.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We've been using a spray lam but I don't like the finished product at all. Does the lliquid lam self level?

Is it a nicer finish than spray anyway?

Thanks for all the suggestions, just can't justify a good lmainator right now.

Clear Shield levels out quite nicely if, that's if, you mop it on just this side of dry brush. Use a foam brush, not a roller and certainly not a bristle brush. Thinning it to the consistency of whole milk helps a lot as well. When done properly you cannot tell the the finished produce ever had anything brushed upon it.

As far as the Big Squeegee, do a search on You Tube. There's one particular video demonstrating a technique using double sided Scotch tape that, once you do it a time or two, produces excellent bubble free results. Try it but don't use anything more aggressive that 3/4" Scotch double sided tape. For example, don't try it with banner tape or double sided masking tap. That way lies ruin and madness.

As far as the Big Squeegee, do a search on You Tube. There's one particular video demonstrating a technique using double sided Scotch tape that, once you do it a time or two, produces excellent bubble free results. Try it but don't use anything more aggressive that 3/4" Scotch double sided tape. For example, don't try it with banner tape or double sided masking tap. That way lies ruin and madness.

Ask me how I know.

:frustrated:

Gene@mpls

There are a *lot* of BS vids- can anyone post a link to what Bob is talking
about- tried numerous search terms and watched as many likely vids as
I could stand. We use and like the BS BTW- just always looking for better
ways to do anything. Thanks Gene

thewvsignguy

We have had our BS for about two months now. I have used it 4 or 5 times for some 2-6 sq. ft prints and worked like a charm! I was a little skeptical on how such and inexpensive item would work so great. It does what it is supposed to do and with a bit more practice I'll feel more confident is doing even larger prints. It is worth every penny and until we start to laminate larger prints this is a very cost-effective solution. Good Luck!

Edserv

We used a Big Squeegee for all our "hand applied" overlam jobs. It's tricky, but you can successfully use a BS once you get the "hang of it."
If you're looking for a cold lam, keep an eye on Craigslist. We found a GBC for 1/10 the price of buying one new. But we still use the BS for jobs over 40" wide.

gieseguy

you can use the wet method. a soap water solution so it's just slippery between your fingers. spray both the adhesive side of the laminate and the print and simply squegee out the fluid. works great and no bubbles.