• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laptop questions...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Ok, I am thinking about getting a laptop. Now I have questions...And I'm not a teckie...

First off, I was thinking about using it for my estimating and invoicing, but come on, who are we kidding here. I will end up putting Corel 13 on it and using it for a second design computer, for when I am in the house rather than out in the office. Now that I am thinking about it, if I do get a big enough computer, I may just use it for my primary computer, and sell the Dell desktop computer I have now.

I will most likely use it to run the plotter (Summa), and I don't have a printer, but I do use some high resolution fills (Aurora Graphics and about to buy the Bergen Design fills).

I am looking at Dell right now, and should I stay with the Inspiron Notebooks 1720 (with the 17" wide screen)or the XPS. I went on Dell's site, and had an online chat with one of their "Techs", and of course they said that I would be much happier with the XPS machine, and sent me to a link for a $2500 laptop. (If I get it, I hope it comes with a couch...'Cause my wife will expect me to sleep in the office.)

I do know that I want to try to stay away from Vista if I can. I used it a little on my sons Acer his mom got him for Christmas, but I am concerned that Corel X3 run on it, and also I am still using CasMate 6.52.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

cOrKinSA

Yeah just tell them to give you XP Pro. I had bought a Inspiron laptop same time last year that came with XP Pro and a rebate to get Vista Ultimate for free when it came out in somewhere around april. Once I got it I paused for a minute and came to the conclusion that "it aint broke so why fix it". Which was a wise move because a fellow sign buddy of mine had a HELL of a time switching everything over.
On another note, I kept my desktop but I primarly use my lappie for everything.

WVB

Look into Alienware as well. Dell has bought them out but they are still run by the same people in Miami. Better machine IMH. However, the XPS edition is a very good capable machine as well.

I have a Averatec 6100 series w/ a P4 and Radeon graphics card with a 15.4" screen I use every day for design, cut, etc. I can not complain at all about this laptop. Runs XP home, FlexiSign Pro , Adobe products, etc.

hilltop

I too have a laptop for my primary cpu, Dell Inspiron 6400 never had a problem with it...Signlab 6.1e & Photoshop CS2 - run 2 plotters from it too. I take it home every night, so that any smash & grabers come by at night, no cpu in the shop.

gabagoo

the 17" cant have xp put in it. I tried and had to switch to the 15" inspiron. I had it for 3 weeks and then every time I was trying to type an email the computer would go into a hibernation mode. I mean it would do this while typing!!!. I phoned, complained and a new one was due today but naturally it did not arrive hopefuly tomorrow. I would be interested to see if you can get the 17" with xp as I will totally flip out if you do lol

Bogie

I use two towers as my primary computers, and ghost my working data files and anticipated fonts/clipart to a large USB drive if I drag a laptop somewhere. Laptop's got Corel on it, but no Adobe stuff...

I can't plug enough stuff into the laptop. FWIW, you can buy a GOOD tower and a low-end laptop for what a GOOD laptop costs by itself.

If you do go with a laptop, add enough memory, and you'll also likely want external keyboard and rodent.

511graphix

I have the dell E1705 and I have XP on it and i run X3 and cs3 on it the only problem is that my tuch pad and Corel were not working together but I solved that.... puged in a usb mouse

hoppers

Theres always Dell love/haters out there, but I think if you stick with them and their support (since you say your not a techie) - you should be fine. I personally am happy with my Hp's I have, but have used Dell laptops at my FT job for the past 3 years without much issue.
Dell only sells some certain models with XP (1501, 1510, XPs 1710 and XPS 1730) and I agree to stick with XP (I have Vista on my HP laptop - it is OK, but has its up and downs)

But the Alienware and XPS ones are real nice, but real expensive. For XP, I dont think you cant buy anything other then Vista that is "new" on the market (from circuit city and best buy etc) unless you go with a Dell small Biz computer or the 4 I mentioned above to configure it with XP (thanks Bill Gates).
But The 1510 laptop starts around $700 with a dual core processor, 1 GB of memory and an 80 gig harddrive. Not out of this world specs, but quite good for what you are looking for. I would just upgrade the memory to 2 GB's and maybe a lil bit bigger harddrive. It should come out around $900 and compared to the $2500 XPS - its no slouch.

Good luck!

Si Allen

Definitly go with a Core 2 duo CPU!

I have a Sony laptop with 1.6 gig core 2 duo that runs rings around my P4 desktop.

cOrKinSA

the 17" cant have xp put in it. I tried and had to switch to the 15" inspiron. I had it for 3 weeks and then every time I was trying to type an email the computer would go into a hibernation mode. I mean it would do this while typing!!!. I phoned, complained and a new one was due today but naturally it did not arrive hopefuly tomorrow. I would be interested to see if you can get the 17" with xp as I will totally flip out if you do lol
I have a 17" Inspirion 9400 in front of me with XP Pro.

gabagoo

I don't know how old it is dude, but a month ago I was told they couldn't put it in as they had no drivers for some of the newer hardware installed. I can't see why they would lie to me as by going to the 15" they lost out on the difference.

signage

All I can tell you is that Corel X3 works on my two IBM Laptops with XP pro dose not operate correctly on a Toshiba I have and Corel isn't doing anything about it! If you go to their forum you will see that other are also having problems video wise with X3 and Vista!
I have called them since October about this and never hear back from them, I even called yesterday and asked to talk to a supervisor and was told one would call me later and no call!

Done venting!

You can still get XP Pro on Dell Laptops through the end of January. I just got a new one & I run Corel X3 & Casmate 6.52 on it.

Replicator

If the computer companies were smart they would continue to offer XP

for customers that want it, for as long as they keep asking for it !

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
17in. Laptops running XP are hard to to find at a reasonable price.
I just bought a 17in. for the HOME and settled on Vista...
(Might as well get the kids use to Vista)

My budget was $1200-$1700
I looked at Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Asus, & HP and this setup seemed
to give me the best custom build for the buck with the upgraded
Processor, display, memory, & graphics card.

Attachments

• HP laptop 2.jpg
    HP laptop 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 78

John M

Look up Dell's Vostro series. It's aimed at businesses and comes without the trialware that's typical of the big PC companies. They're equipped with everything you're looking for. They've also got crazy-low prices right now to get the name out. You could save as much as half off compared to what those machines are worth.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Look up Dell's Vostro series. It's aimed at businesses and comes without the trialware that's typical of the big PC companies. They're equipped with everything you're looking for. They've also got crazy-low prices right now to get the name out. You could save as much as half off compared to what those machines are worth.

Thanks for the tip. I did just that, and found:

Vostro 1700 Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB), but with Vista Business.

When I quoted it out, I opted for the 4 MB of ram, 4 year warranty, 4 year accidental damage, and an upgraded 9 cell battery. The total price after the discount was $2400. I did talk to someone who is interested in my desktop, so that will offset the cost some.

buy a mac.... install bootcamp.... run windows xp.

nuff said
I just went to Mac, and quoted one out. With the same specs, with the exception of a 250 gig hd (the apple has the 160 gig hd) it will be $3600. If I were to pay that, I would be sleeping at the shop. My wife would shoot me...it would be ugly.

Last edited: