• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laserjet on Vinyl.

PiizzLe

I am very new to this. I just recently bought a second hand Graphtec 5000-60. I know that my plotter cannot print and only cut.

My question is can my laserjet printer print on a regular white vinyl or is there a specific vinyl for this?

Thanks a lot.

PiizzLe

I did not specify my intentions for this question.

I want to print on the vinyl with a laserjet and put it through my cutter to cut.

dypinc

You can buy vinyl label sheets for your laserjet. How small a sheet is practical to cut with Graphtec will take some testing to see how much margin is needed from the targets to the page sensors.

anotherdog

??? I would no more feed vinyl into a laser printer than I would craft cheese slices.
However I just googled it and there are laser printable vinyls.

Wow, letter size vinyl in a laser printer. That has to have all the guys who wrap vehicles worried.

Now I wonder if you can toast cheese in there too?

Tony McD

Never tried the actual laser vinyl, but about 15 years ago I ran a sheet of sign vinyl through a laser copier at work....it got all wadded up inside the machine. Was sweatin' it big time till I got it out and saw the machine still worked. Didn't try that again.

PiizzLe

Okay so what is my alternative since I do not have $10,000 for a new printer/plotter combo.

I am trying to print images/designs (multiple color) onto a vinyl I'm assuming I can only do this with a printer (for now) then run it into my cutter.

Thanks guys.

letterman7

Your alternative is to sub out your print work to someone who has the correct machines to do just that. You cannot use a tabletop laserjet to print wrap or sign vinyl. You might be able to find a used wide format for a decent price, then purchase the software to print registration marks on your print job so you can run it through the Graphtec. That is, of course, assuming that the Graphtec is capable of identifying registration marks. If not, then you're still at square one. Sub the jobs out.

Flame

If you do not have the money then you are not prepared to sell the product. It would be like "I want to open a bakery but don't have the money for dough". Inkjet ink will fade in literally weeks, it will not work for any form of sign/graphic work.

If you are just trying to start small, look into getting a loan on a BN20 as it's a great starter machine.

dypinc

If you do not have the money then you are not prepared to sell the product. It would be like "I want to open a bakery but don't have the money for dough". Inkjet ink will fade in literally weeks, it will not work for any form of sign/graphic work.

If you are just trying to start small, look into getting a loan on a BN20 as it's a great starter machine.

He was not talking about inkjet ink here. He was asking about fused toner (LASERJET) which will last an amazing long time compared to aqueous ink.

Flame

He was not talking about inkjet ink here. He was asking about fused toner (LASERJET) which will last an amazing long time compared to aqueous ink.

Encouraging someone to use a laserjet to make digital prints is insane. Just my honest opinion. Unless it's for scrap booking or something along those lines.

GVP

Your alternative is to sub out your print work to someone who has the correct machines to do just that. You cannot use a tabletop laserjet to print wrap or sign vinyl. You might be able to find a used wide format for a decent price, then purchase the software to print registration marks on your print job so you can run it through the Graphtec. That is, of course, assuming that the Graphtec is capable of identifying registration marks. If not, then you're still at square one. Sub the jobs out.

+1

laserman70

was a printer tech for HP for years....
average fuser temperature is 392 °F

Better make sure whatever ur printing on can withstand those temps..

JgS

I tried it once. It destroyed my printer. If you do find a way to do it successfully I would highly recommend laminating it.

Flame

Whats insane is your narrow mindedness.

Hmmmmm, you're the kind of guy who would try to repair an exhaust leak with duct tape huh?

Right tools for the job. Sometimes you can skim corners and find a better solution. Sometimes you need to leave well enough alone and do it right.

dypinc

Last week I did 20,000 2" x 3" stickers/labels. They were precut.

If you think I should have done those on a solvent/latex ink printer you are insane.

Done on the digital press. Yes it is a laser/fused/toner. Right tool for the right job.