• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Layer Tennis

JStein

Has anyone ever heard of Layer Tennis. Basically it is a graphic design game where one Graphic Designer does a design using Photoshop or Illustrator. Then they send the file to a nother graphic designer and the edit it to look different and add an element to it and then send it back to the original designer...and this continues for a set number of "turns" and then a winner is picked by a judge that observes and narrates the moves via a blog.
Layer Tennis

The link above is the only official form of this game that I have been able to find. I was thinking maybe we could start a game here in the forums. What do you say?

JStein

Here is the rules from their website. We can just use them as our rules.

Two competitors swap a file back and forth in real-time, adding to and embellishing the work. Each artist gets fifteen minutes to complete a “volley” and then we post that to the site live. A third participant, a writer, provides play-by-play commentary on the action as it happens.

The players may be designers, animators, illustrators or anything else, and they can do pretty much as they like. There are no real rules, the matches are generally competitive and collaborative. Things progress volley by volley.

A match lasts for ten volleys and when it’s complete, everybody sounds off and together we declare a winner. To see LYT in action, get lost in the archive of past matches.

Johnny Best

Since we are sign people and on an open forum and do not work in real time and suposedly all have working jobs, why not come up with a basic idea of something and each one of us adds or changes something until it looks good where it can be worked no more. More sign related. time limits can be up to an hour to 24 hours because we do have day jobs. More like we work together as a team on an idea. haha, sign people working as a team, now there's a new concept.

JStein

Ok, Johnny Best makes some good points. I will work on some modifications to the rules. What do you think of these;

1. Someone posts 3 elements that can be either a type treatment, photo, color scheme, etc.
2. Players mix the 3 elements to create a pseudo business logo
3. Players and other forum members vote over a period of 2 days. After that we pick the one with the most votes.
4. We then all work separately on a signage treatment and post those.
5. We vote on those and The winner then gets to start off the next round. Going back to step 1.

It is kind of like Playing golf where everyone tees off and then we play best ball. Let me know what you all think.

JStein

I guess I'll start this thing off.
Here are the 3 elements we have to work with.
I got them from the creative commons so we should be able to use them without worrying about copyrights. Plus these are just for fun so I'm sure we don't have to worry about that.

Attachments

• parrot-102497_1920.jpg
    parrot-102497_1920.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 192
  • hat-149479_1280.png
    hat-149479_1280.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 208
  • alphabet-1896957_1280.png
    alphabet-1896957_1280.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 195

Jwalk

In theory hell of fun, this sounds like it takes to much time. My mind would be screaming at me to get other work done.
Love what you guys came up with looks good. That's talent.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Johnny Best

In theory hell of fun, this sounds like it takes to much time. My mind would be screaming at me to get other work done.
Love what you guys came up with looks good. That's talent.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
I think of these things while driving or just in the hardware store, so not much time wasted, and just kind of lay it out in my mind before I sit in front of a computer.
I would not mind my mind screaming at me, as much as my wife's screaming to get things accomplished.

I thought we were going to have to use these three elements verbatim, but I'm assuming we can use a variation or some derivative based on these three elements? So instead of using the W, one could use the W's color scheme instead? Or in John's case, flying birds instead of the parrot photo? I'm just making sure I understand the rules here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Only one rule........ have fun, play along and keep the others happy so they don't bite. :confused: