• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layzply.com - a new way to lay vinyl

MrGraphics

Owner Operator
OK guys, you hurt me enough. As far as getting into a peeing contest - not interested. I have laid down a lot of vinyl doing it that way, always with a helper, yelling and screaming to hold the material straight, don't let it hit the substrate and on and on. Half of my equipment has been bought from larger sign shops that did big jobs and went out of business and I bought it for pennies on a dollar. As large format printers plummented in prices over the last 7 to 10 years and every Quick Print Shop, UPS stores, Stalples, Office Max and everybody else that can fork out a few thousand dollars and go on E-bay there is a ton of basement shops out there and they are all going to have the capacity to knock out small signs. I started my business in 1964 as a Quick Print Shop. I got in the sign business about 10 years ago to stimulate sales, it took over and I junked the print shop. Along with my other work I probably have 10 different people a day coming in for a 18 x 24 sign, thats one sign and I sell it for $32.00. I get probably half of my work from other sign shops that can't do a $32.00 job. Now do the math that is an extra $320. per day. You can check my shop out at robertsgraphics.com. Now I am going to turn this over to my wife who applies my vinyl. I am Linda Roberts, I REFUSE to lay down vinyl without the machine. The End!
Back to me, There are probably a hundred ways to lay down vinyl, none of them are wrong, wet, dry, hinged, taping in center, top, side, etc. I run a very efficient shop and if a salesman came in with one of these machines I would have dropped $395. in a heartbeat. This machine probably isn't for everybody maybe just newbies but we love it.
I really appreciate all your input.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Your machine is similar to this:
http://www.reklamide.se/rollsroller/en
(One of our European members posted this a while ago)
I think the rolling hold down on a gantry is a little more useful but those machines carry a very high price tag.
Good luck with what you are trying to do.
I'd think marketing will make or break it so maybe get some more videos made showing someone really pushing the speed part to show what could be done with it.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

OK guys, you hurt me enough. As far as getting into a peeing contest - not interested. I have laid down a lot of vinyl doing it that way, always with a helper, yelling and screaming to hold the material straight, don't let it hit the substrate and on and on. Half of my equipment has been bought from larger sign shops that did big jobs and went out of business and I bought it for pennies on a dollar. As large format printers plummented in prices over the last 7 to 10 years and every Quick Print Shop, UPS stores, Stalples, Office Max and everybody else that can fork out a few thousand dollars and go on E-bay there is a ton of basement shops out there and they are all going to have the capacity to knock out small signs. I started my business in 1964 as a Quick Print Shop. I got in the sign business about 10 years ago to stimulate sales, it took over and I junked the print shop. Along with my other work I probably have 10 different people a day coming in for a 18 x 24 sign, thats one sign and I sell it for $32.00. I get probably half of my work from other sign shops that can't do a $32.00 job. Now do the math that is an extra $320. per day. You can check my shop out at robertsgraphics.com. Now I am going to turn this over to my wife who applies my vinyl. I am Linda Roberts, I REFUSE to lay down vinyl without the machine. The End!
Back to me, There are probably a hundred ways to lay down vinyl, none of them are wrong, wet, dry, hinged, taping in center, top, side, etc. I run a very efficient shop and if a salesman came in with one of these machines I would have dropped $395. in a heartbeat. This machine probably isn't for everybody maybe just newbies but we love it.
I really appreciate all your input.

Usually orders for 18x24's come in the dozens. it's rare i get an order for 1 18x24, and if i do they pay the min.
So if i have a larger order wouldn't it be more efficient to just run them through our lams with bleed and then trim the edges?

It's a good invention that has already been made in a larger scale. I think wayne linked it earlier.

Good luck.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
pops_blinking.gif
In business, in sales, in marketing, it isn't a matter of whether or not one can find someone who won't buy what you're selling ... because one always can. It is only a matter of finding enough who will buy what one is selling to make it profitable.

Salmoneye

I used to tape and run the BS yard tool. Now I use almost this exact technique using the hinge method and the yard tool, I have a small weight that I put on one side while laying the other and then remove the weight to finish the second side. When I need a larger sign I use a larger BS. It looks like you have build a nice little machine there, I love the hold down method. Problem for me would also be the counter space that it would take up, I drill a hole in the end of my BS's so I can hang them with my rulers. I think that your market would be stores like Kinkos etc where folks aren't used to applying much and don't have large sign making tables. Good luck with your venture.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Too late to edit my last post....

I am willing to supply one of the new slitters we offer to anyone that participates in making a video. I don't care if you use the Big Squeegee in the video but I do want a copy and permission to use it, part or in whole, of your video to use in future advertising.

The prototype of the slitter can be seen here for those that have not seen it yet.

GO .... :signs101:

signmeup

Geez! What an unfriendly reception! The guy took out a merchant membership and displayed his wares. Isn't that how it's supposed to be done? I see plenty of non-paying members (too cheap to cough up 50 bucks to support this place) are quick to condemn his sincere effort to market his product. Shame on you people.

Good luck with your mounting machine MrGraphics! It looks very well crafted and seems to perform it's intended task nicely.

CES020

I always get a kick out of people that have never used something tearing it apart. It might NOT work for you, but it MIGHT work great for someone else. But in their egocentric minds, if it doesn't work well for them, then it must be junk and needs to be eliminated from the planet.

Not everyone works the same or thinks the same. This might work really well for some and others may have faster ways to do it. So what? That's called the "free market". If the product doesn't work or is slow, the market will take care of it. If it does a good job, then the market will take care of that too.

I'd withhold judgement until you try it.

I think the guy has a lot of class in not getting dragged into the mud with some of the comments made. And as much as I LOVE my Big Squegees, I don't think it was appropriate to make remarks about buying the pizza for the competition. Dale, I seem to recall you going off on people saying they could make their own copies of your work. You didn't like it when someone suggested they use something other than your product, but you're doing the same thing to this guy.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I make them

Id like to know where you got that little "slitter" tool you used.

Well...The newbie forum is not the appropriate place to run an ad for new products. Merchant members have a place to advertise. By posting here he has invited comparisons with other products.

If I have a new product that I want input on, I use the general forum. The newbie forum should not be used for advertising because that is the first place newbies go.

I think this thread has served the purpose of this forum very well.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
+1

I'd like to get a slitter if possible. I didn't see them on the wedsite.

John
I know you all want these. I may have to hire someone so I can have the time to make some up and add them to the website. I want to get them molded so the price can be lower. As it is now, I have to make them on a lathe so the price may seem pretty high for it.