Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left or Right Handed?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by TheSellOut, Oct 29, 2009.

What's your dexterity?

1. Left Handed

50 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Right Handed

165 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Ambidextrous

43 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    What is your dexterity? Left, Right, or truely ambidextrous?

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Right
    and when I was in sign school we had one lefty and as I understood lefties had a hard time learning how to hand paint because if they worked left to right they would be working "over" the wet letters they had just done

3. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008

This is true, I have to be carefull when drwing with a pencil as well for I will end up smearing graphite all over my drawing too!

I can't say this is all lefties, but in my case, everything I do in this righthanded world is backwards. Example, the old righty tighty / lefty loosey bit, I naturally always go the opposite direction to start!

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    My walldog friend Bill has trained himself to paint with either hand in case something ever happens to him.
    Love....Jill

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    righty here

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I was born left handed but Miss James, in the first grade, made me hold my pencil in my right hand. I ended up with my fine motor skills being right handed and my gross motor skills being left handed. Somewhere in the middle, a level of ambidexterity exists whereby I can drive a nail with a hammer held in either hand.

7. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

"I may be left handed, but I'm right all the time"

8. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    with a couple of changes, this is me too. I was leaning towards being left but did a lot with the right so they made me use my right hand in school too. there are things that I can do with one hand but can't with the other like snap my fingers. I can do it with the left but hardly able with the right. I took tennis lessons way back in my 20's and found out that I could do a fore hand with one hand and a back hand with the other but not both with either. so not sure if I'm ambidextrous as it more like one works when the other doesn't most of the time. I can paint or apply vinyl vinyl with either.

9. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Dominatly(sp) Right.

Partial ambidexterity

10. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    Righty here.

Here is a fact I find interesting. Cultures that read right to left instead of left to right have more right handed people.

11. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    I guess I'm somewhat like Fred too. Things requiring dexterity in my hand
    and fingers I do with ther right. Other things, mostly sports are left. I kick
    with the left foot. Throw with left hand. Funny that I draw with the right
    but using an airbrush is more comfortable in the left. I have taught myself
    to letter with either, Mostly right, but wall jobs off of a ladder, using the
    left comes in real handy.

12. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Ambidextrous...I'd love to see a psychological profile off our breed.

13. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Huh ?:toasting:

14. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    me too

15. basicmetal

basicmetal Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I call myself ambidextrous but I'm really just a confused southpaw. The worst grade I got in college was trying to do calligraphy. The proffessor wouldn't accept the pen being held at the wrong 45 degree angle.

16. Jane Diaz

Jane Diaz Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Pontiac, IL
    For you lefties (like me) there is a great book I read called "Left Handed History of the World" by Ed Wright (I find his name sort of ironic!) that I would highly recommend.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-Handed-History-World-Ed-Wright/dp/1740458109
    It's an easy one to read and it talks about the fact that aprox. 10% of the world is left handed but how a disproportionate number of important people throughout history were lefties.

17. Jane Diaz

Jane Diaz Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Pontiac, IL
    I want a t-shirt that says: "I'm not only left handed, I'm always right!"

18. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Lefty over here...

Thanks,
    Kurt

19. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

Lefty here, too.

20. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I probably should have been left handed, I'm left-eye dominant which is an issue sometimes when I'm shooting. But alas, I correct myself for right handed.

21. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    Right handed. Can't write my own name legibly left handed, but can effortlessly write backwards (mirror image) with my right hand. A teacher/nun once told me "there something wrong with you" when she caught me writing a quick note to a classmate. My friend would take the notes to the bathroom and hold them up to the mirror to read them. The devil made me do it.