• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Location, location, location?

FrankenSigns.biz

Well, after spending the last 3 and a half years languishing in an off-the-beaten path business park, we are moving to a high-traffic location with decent parking and very high visibility.

Unbelievably, our rent is only $200 a month more. The move itself is our biggest financial concern, but we are hoping there will be some uptick in business before the next quarter ends to help defray that cost.

The new location is 3500 sq. ft. where 50,000+ cars a day pass by, it has plenty of parking and decent access / egress.

We have often wondered what a really good location like this can do for our business. Looks like we are about to find out.

Maybe I'll post some photos of the move after we get settled in.

TopFliteGraphics

Keep us posted! I am in a "hole in the wall" location as well so I have zero drive by or walk up traffic into my shop and have been wondering about if a more "retail friendly" location is worth the expense.

Billct2

Good luck, and do post updates on how it goes.
Personally I have always preferred an "industrial" location with my money going for more workspace than "location". I really don't want walk in customers.

Hicalibersigns

Depends on your business model. We intentionally located in a business park to avoid walk in traffic. We focus on B2B only. I will be interested in hearing how it goes.

OlsonSigns601

I would think most sign shops would be B2B, because I don't know who can make a living making custom Happy Birthday/Graduation Banners.

Businesses owners drive cars too. 95% of my walk in traffic are business owners or property owners looking to sell.

When we were located in a commercial property but in a residential area off a small street, walk in traffic was almost unheard of and new customers were rare. With our new location on a busy 4 lane highway, walk in traffic happens at least 10 times a day and at least once a week we have a backup of customers waiting in our lobby.

I think you'll do great... good luck.

TheSnowman

Almost all of my "new" walk ins are the same way...graduation/birthday garbage. I was better before out in the country where my customers were loyal that stopped by, and I landed every job that came in. I rarely get new customers, but I have tons of people that stop by and I never see them again. Been five years on the main drag in our town now...still miss the country.

WildWestDesigns

Depends on your business model. We intentionally located in a business park to avoid walk in traffic. We focus on B2B only. I will be interested in hearing how it goes.

Just us few that use Ave G as a back way into historic Plano.

Commercial/agriculture here. Traffic is getting bad enough as it is. I've seen places that go under despite having high visibility if getting in and out of the parking lot is an issue.

Buddy

The advantage retail space provides is in public presentation similar to institutional advertising. A funeral home for example could be located out in BFE since they don't rely on walk-in traffic (humorous sounding).

We have a storefront retail type sign shop. The power of our location is enormous. We dropped our yellow page add all together. Look at franchise sign shops ? If location was not significant would they bother ?

FrankenSigns.biz

Good luck, and do post updates on how it goes.
Personally I have always preferred an "industrial" location with my money going for more workspace than "location". I really don't want walk in customers.

The new space is slightly smaller than my current space but the lease rate is exactly the same. Roughly $200 more per month.

The moving expenses is what's going to hurt.

TXFB.INS

The advantage retail space provides is in public presentation similar to institutional advertising. A funeral home for example could be located out in BFE since they don't rely on walk-in traffic (humorous sounding).

We have a storefront retail type sign shop. The power of our location is enormous. We dropped our yellow page add all together. Look at franchise sign shops ? If location was not significant would they bother ?

+1

401Graphics

I used to be in the highest traffic intersection in RI, on a second floor with massive windows, and with a big LED message board facing the intersection, and business increased very little. I moved out after 6 months. Wasn't worth the 1200 a month rent.

WildWestDesigns

Look at franchise sign shops ? If location was not significant would they bother ?

None of the franchise shops within a 20 mile radius of where I live are in highly visible areas. Some I wouldn't even know about unless I happen to pass them by heading to my suppliers or machine techs.

Also one back home in Plano that there is a shopping center that was big back when I was growing up, but now it just consists of Fishmongers, a truck accessory supply store, and then the franchise sign shop. The art supply store that was there for almost 30 yrs is moving to another location. Chisholm Place is basically a "ghost town" of a shopping center.

Some, I don't think they do bother for whatever reason.

Buddy

It seems to me most business have a 'shelf life' meaning...what may be great today might be stale and out of business tomorrow. Shelf life or lifespan of some businesses may be 5 years, some 15 years ? Can't quote any demographic studies BUT...I have definitely noticed business shelf life expire on many businesses.

So perhaps staying 'fresh' in whatever manner possible is important which includes location. A business location that is hot for a few years could easily go out of business some years later because it is now a stale location. Depending on the nature of the business of course. Look around. Wal-Mart, McDonald's it's easy to see many businesses that focus on location as a priority.

I say on a scale of 1 to 10......location ranks 8 (10 being critically important).

rnjgraphics

I looked into a franchise a while back, and they made a big point about being located where there is high visibility. As mentioned, many of the people that drive by will be business owners. Good luck!

In 2007 I moved out of my home business to a building in town but out of the way business went up 20% just because people would see me as they were driving down a side street and see me
in 2010 I moved into my current location on the interstate at an exit. 2011 was my 1st full year here and business is up 85% from 2007.
The smaller walk in customers help cash flow as most pay cash or credit card ...

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Every once in a while a walk in customer turns out to be a gem, but so many are hoping to spend $5 on something the probably should just be getting from the hardware store "Sign Center" :doh::covereyes:

SD&F

I believe the extra expousure will definetlyincrease your business, so be ready. You can't beat the rent.