• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique for a Friend of a Friend

grafixemporium

Thanks for the font Signmeup.

I have to respectfully disagree with your view on the narrow market. I think there is a huge market for people/businesses with too much money who just want a big, ridiculous fish tank yet they know absolutely nothing about fish. In fact, they know so little, they pay a service to come clean and maintain the tank and water chemistry on a regular basis. When one of their fish dies, they pay that service way too much money for an overpriced replacement fish. It's those guys with all that cash that I'd be marketing to. I definitely would not market to the marine biologists ;)

In other words, the strange "condom with an eye" fish is not really a good choice for a logo. Nevermind that it is a terribly masked raster image with too many effects added and breaks every rule for logo design. It doesn't even look like a fish.

At any rate, I'm not wasting any more time drawing up concepts for the guy, so you shouldn't either. I just want to forward him the honest thoughts from people in the design industry.

Pat Whatley

I make signs for an aquarium guy who has a route he runs cleaning aquariums on a two week rotation. It's all he does for a living. He may not be getting rich but he seems to be doing okay cleaning aquariums in doctor's and lawyers offices all over town. Maintaining a salt water aquarium is a pain, people with the money will gladly pay for it.

JasperST

LMAO... way to make a simple situation overly complicated there jasper. I own a print shop. At this print shop, I have an assistant. That assistant has a good friend he was hoping to help out. But really... you needn't worry yourself with the particulars. I'm only interested in a critique of the guy's logo so I can forward the feedback to him.
You're getting mighty defensive there. I won't worry about your vague business methods but the drama that you posted included more than a logo.
For the record, I've already punted. I have no ties or formal agreements with the customer. It's simply a case of a small favor becoming more of a problem than it's worth. Don't lose sleep worrying about me. This is not a big deal. Really just hoping the S101 crew will do what you do best... tear apart the guy's logo.
What for if you are backing off of your offer?

signmeup

That raises a very good point. We didn't speak with the customer so we don't really know who they are trying to attract. Still think the fish is cool.

signgal

Well, as I've said before... I try to educate the customer as to why there is a problem with their logo without insulting them. I lay out what they should be trying to accomplish with it. I lay out future purchases (shirts, promos, etc.) with said logo and how they should be considered when designing. If necessary, I point out other effective logos in the business or targeting similar demographics. Once presented with information, they have to feel stupid for not listening to your advice.

That said, I would go with something with more of an abstract feel, like artbot's offering. Not exactly but I would think along those lines and look up logos online to get more ideas. Well, that's a lie... I would send it to Neato to do for me but that's just me. LOL

Marlene

I have to respectfully disagree with your view on the narrow market. I think there is a huge market for people/businesses with too much money who just want a big, ridiculous fish tank yet they know absolutely nothing about fish. In fact, they know so little, they pay a service to come clean and maintain the tank and water chemistry on a regular basis. When one of their fish dies, they pay that service way too much money for an overpriced replacement fish. It's those guys with all that cash that I'd be marketing to. I definitely would not market to the marine biologists ;)

that's a really good point as I've been in doctor's offices, restaurants and offices with big tanks and I'm pretty sure they know next to nothing about fish. the people who do know will get what the business is even with a neice looking fish.

had you posted the logo as a "what does this business do?", I don't think many would have guessed by just looking at the logo correctly. that is a sign of a really bad logo. the wife spent a year on this so you would think it would be better as it sounds like some thought went into it. if these people are true friends, I'd show them this thread. we are people who look at logos all the time with professioanl eyes and we think it doesn't work. what will happen when the general public gets a look at it? if we don't get it, they sure won't. tell them it's time to put aside their personal pride in this thing and really look at it from threw the eyes of the market that they are going after and then ask themselves if this is really what they want to put out there. if they can't see that this isn't a great idea, then do the wrap and tell no one that you did it as they will think it is your design.

signmeup

Marlene, If I posted the Nike logo and you didn't know what it was......could you tell me they sold shoes?

Speaking of shoes...sort of...by "narrow market" I mean: Everyone buys shoes. Not everyone buys tropical fish. The ratio between the number of people who by shoes to the number who buy tropical fish has to be staggeringly huge. To me that is a narrow market. A niche if you will.

I still like the logo (but with a different font.) I can see how it could be made into a single colour version quite easily.

"Deposit Please"

Ahhh, don't like the first design, looks like a penis with an eyeball. however, the second one is better with the "Cartoonish fish" Just needs vibrant color. I like the fonts being used.

jdoug5170

Color me strange, but I like the original.

I like that the fish does not strongly suggest any particular breed. I like the colors. Having been a aquarium guy in a past life, I tied it into exotic, salt water aquariums immediately. I sure like it better than Nike's logo!

Perhaps some tweaking on the font colors for readability....

Doug

RebeckaR

Marlene, If I posted the Nike logo and you didn't know what it was......could you tell me they sold shoes?

Speaking of shoes...sort of...by "narrow market" I mean: Everyone buys shoes. Not everyone buys tropical fish. The ratio between the number of people who by shoes to the number who buy tropical fish has to be staggeringly huge. To me that is a narrow market. A niche if you will.

No, not everyone buys fish, but everyone is a potential customer.
I have an aquarium in my living room. Fresh water. Easy maintenance. Feed the fish, change the filter, clean the tank. Damn things just won't die.

Show me something that will dazzle my eyes and maybe entice me to fork over a few more bucks for a salt water tank or at least make me curious about having one.

The nike symbol didn't start out as just a swoop, it was initially part of the lettering. After many years of overexposure and millions of dollars of advertising, we now know that the swoopy thing means nike and that means shoes.

So... use the weird fish, spend millions of dollars promoting it and then it will be a good symbol for your company.

GypsyGraphics

The fish is cool. You're not a customer of this stuff so you don't know what it is. I would suggest changing the font to something more exotic and give it some contrast so you can read it. Great name too.

Huge improvement on the font..... but, i'm sorry, i can't get past that fish!
No, i don't know the first thing about fish and if i saw that sign somewhere, i wouldn't be thinking fish... i'd be thinking... WTF is that a ghost's _____???

(didn't press upload).... and say.....?
artbot... did you do that? It's stunning!!!!
thanks for that.... now i'm thinking fish again.

signmeup

Color me strange, but I like the original.

I like that the fish does not strongly suggest any particular breed. I like the colors. Having been a aquarium guy in a past life, I tied it into exotic, salt water aquariums immediately. I sure like it better than Nike's logo!

Perhaps some tweaking on the font colors for readability....

Doug
I knew it was Goby at first glace. I didn't know it was Fire Goby. Anyway....I like it too. Cept for the font.

SignManiac

I'd go with something like this. Everyone knows what a cow fish is.

Attachments

• CowFish.jpg
    CowFish.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 108

njsigns

I've got a 125 gallon tank sitting right behind me, and I didn't know that was a fish at first glance. It looks like a "swiss army knife fish" to me... I personally wouldn't let them maintain my tank or have much faith in them based on that atrocity being my "first impression" of their business.

JMHO
Gene

artbot

yeah the fish is part of some copper embossed metal sculpture wall hanging i found on the internet.