• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique for a Friend of a Friend

grafixemporium

Marlene, If I posted the Nike logo and you didn't know what it was......could you tell me they sold shoes?

That's not a fair argument at all. Nike has spent decades and bazillions of dollars to make the swoosh synonymous with Nike. Small businesses don't have that luxury... which is why it's important for a small business logo to communicate a message. If that message is in Sanskrit... well, it hasn't really served its purpose has it?

signgal

I believe this covers all of our bases... exotic, erotic and attention-getting!!!

Attachments

• aquatopia.jpg
    aquatopia.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 124

signmeup

That's not a fair argument at all. Nike has spent decades and bazillions of dollars to make the swoosh synonymous with Nike. Small businesses don't have that luxury... which is why it's important for a small business logo to communicate a message. If that message is in Sanskrit... well, it hasn't really served its purpose has it?
Oh come on... Nike was a small business once too. You didn't think they started out as a giant corporation did you? I heard they paid some gal 200 bucks for that logo.

grafixemporium

I think you are doing a great job of arguing against yourself Signmeup. In the 70s and 80s the Nike swoosh was combined with the word NIKE to make up their logo. It was a simple, clean, recognizable symbol of their brand. It is everything a logo should be. It can be easily reproduced in a huge variety of different formats at a very low cost. The swoosh itself is a very simple graphic representation of the Greek goddess Nike's wing. As a graphic element, it does a very good job of representing speed and motion.

In a nutshell, Nike gets an A+ for logo creation and branding. On the other hand, the goby condom fish thing with an eyeball still gets an F in my grade book.

Oh... and it was $35 not $200.

signmeup

I think you are doing a great job of arguing against yourself Signmeup. In the 70s and 80s the Nike swoosh was combined with the word NIKE to make up their logo. It was a simple, clean, recognizable symbol of their brand. It is everything a logo should be. It can be easily reproduced in a huge variety of different formats at a very low cost. The swoosh itself is a very simple graphic representation of the Greek goddess Nike's wing. As a graphic element, it does a very good job of representing speed and motion.

In a nutshell, Nike gets an A+ for logo creation and branding. On the other hand, the goby condom fish thing with an eyeball still gets an F in my grade book.

Oh... and it was $35 not $200.
Fine.

Attachments

• Aqua6.jpg
    Aqua6.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Marlene

Marlene, If I posted the Nike logo and you didn't know what it was......could you tell me they sold shoes?

I totally get what you are saying as a lot of logos don't look like the product. I normally would be putting a "ditto" under you posts on this but no so much with this company. usually, there also a ton of advertising done to tell people what it is when a logo like Nike is used. since this on going to be a wrap, it seems like it is the ad for the business. if I saw this on a truck parked in a lot, I would have no idea that I could be a client for their business. it seems like the whole reason for wrapping the vehicle is to get people to notice, want one too and to call. there's a big market for this kind of thing and people who have seen tanks in other places might want one but aren't into learning about fish and maintaining them. my dentist has a huge tank with tropical fish in his waiting room. it's people like this that the vehicle needs to speak to.

signmeup

Marlene, I think context has a lot to do with logos like Nike. It would be on the shoe itself and the box it comes in. It would be seen in shoe stores next to other shoes. After 40 years it becomes associated with shoes.

I think the original logo is too detailed but I understand it was for a wrap and the customer will want fancy gradients and crap so why not let him have his funny little fish too?