• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

Williams Signs

I listened to your advice last time and had another go at things. See if this design is better?

Attachments

• newlogo.jpg
    newlogo.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 148

Marlene

the font for William is nice but the gradient colors aren't needed and make it look washed out. do you do hand painted/hand lettered signs? if not, get rid of the chubby paint brush. the paint brush is so over used in sign shop logos that the only point would be to tell people that you are a hand painter and that you don't use a computer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The font looks good, but the paint brush looks like an Indian or a toothbrush. It doesn't look like a paint brush at all.... and I know its a caricature, but it still doesn't work. With the emphasis on your name... 'sign shop' seems to have been left behind.

Last edited:

Tim Aucoin

I agree with the others... actually, when I first look at the paintbrush, it looked like a mis-colored flaming cigar! I also agree with Marlene about the gradient... it takes the focus away from where it should be.

Circleville Signs

Here is my issue with the logo, and it may not even be an issue. When I look at it, I see a logo that feels like it was designed 20 years ago, if not longer. If you are trying to communicate that your shop has been around for a long time, then hey - you did your job. If you want to communicate anything else - not so much.

+1 to what Marlene and Gino said as well.

Gary

Custom Bob

Get rid of Mr. Hanky. That character almost looks disturbing and creepy.
The word Sign Shop looks to overpowering to the name Williams.
Try just a little gradient off the bottom of the Williams.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
First lose the leering suppository or whatever it's supposed to be.

Then rethink the entire project. What you have here is a dull to mediocre sign, not a logo. Don't feel bad, 99% of what people put forth as logos are not logos at all, merely signs.

Williams Signs

I will take all into consideration. I know many like to bash work by newer sign makers and I know you all had fun bashing the paintbrush, but I don't think Deaton would like hearing these responses about his drawing.

Replicator

I don't think Deaton would like hearing these responses about his drawing.

Deaton designs all have their place and do work, but this not the place and it does not work in this design.

It's not as much bashing, as it is reality and honesty . . . If it hurts then you need a thicker skin and a better eye.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I kinda agree with Rep. Also, rather than speaking for John and putting words in his mouth, let him defend or make comments of his own. It's not nice to fool with your peers and make idle threats.

Williams Signs

When I first started coming to this site I loved it. John told me to check it out and I fell in love. Lately though few if any offer any real advise about how to correct things or how someone may become better. Sometimes this proves wrong, because I have seen other post for ideas and suggestions and ideas are offered. However, it seems to be a clique type environment anymore. As far as John goes, I posted a logo for critique back some time ago that contained a cartoon character and everyone bashed the cartoon. When I reveled that John had done the cartoon, everyone loved it. So... all I am trying to do is get better with my designs. I do have a thick skin. I just wish I could get some good advice like Marlene or like Isign has imputed for me before.

SignosaurusRex

I will take all into consideration. I know many like to bash work by newer sign makers and I know you all had fun bashing the paintbrush, but I don't think Deaton would like hearing these responses about his drawing.
It has nothing to do with Johns work what so ever! John produces what he is instructed to and how you put it to use is strictly up to you and has everything to do with what is being posted in response. Would you rather folks here blow smoke up your ass and say it looks GREAT, or be honest and tell you like it is? Sometimes the facts are hard to swallow, but if you want to improve than you must 'Buck-up' and take to heart what is being said. As far as bashing, BASHING????? You've not been bashed, only a bit brow beat. Take it as a learning experience.
What John has produced for you is not your logo, but rather an element of what can be your logo. Don't get defensive and moan about it....go back to the drawing board and strive for something more.

SignosaurusRex

S'Rex, You just reminded me that I wanted to pick up a copy of Dan's book, so I just ordered it . . . Thanks !

Well.......You reminded me 2 weeks ago that I needed to get another copy of Mike Steven's "mastering Layout" which I find myself needing to refer back to on occasions. The last two copies were either stolen or not returned by former employees or ........:thumb:

rjpjr

...I just wish I could get some good advice like Marlene or like Isign has imputed for me before.

I am not Marlene or Isign, but I do have a critique. I suppose it is up to you to decide if it is "Good" critique or not.

Looking at the thumbnail, the first thing that jumps out is "Sign Shop" and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but the Williams seems disconnected from it. Part of the reason it seams disconnected is due to the light colors and thin strokes used. Script or Brush type faces are generally a little slow to read so it is probably not a good idea to outline and shadow them especially if they are thin stroked. The second thing I noticed was the opposing angles of Williams and the carrot...which is the third thing I noticed, it wasn't a carrot. :ROFLMAO:

I thought it was a carrot with a mohawk.
I thought exactly the same thing! No offense to John Deaton or anybody else, but a carrot is what I saw.

So that is the first thing I would do is lose the brush character.

My next suggestion would be to reverse the Script/Brush type faces with the Block type faces. Thirdly, I would provide a surface for the "Sign Shop" to rest on which will provide a nice solid contrast. Finally, design your work in black and white first, it it works, then you can add color.

a quick suggestion...

Attachments

• Williams-Sign-Shop.jpg
    Williams-Sign-Shop.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 83