• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Design Help

TheSellOut

You are getting some great ideas here Brian, my favorites are Phil's take on your original with a much simpler font and sinetists idea with the "steer"ing wheel1

BrianKE

I agree that Phil's ideas are great and will be incorporating them into what I show the client.

As for the golfers as the target audience, it is actually a different market (and ashamed to say I can't remember off the top of my head) but it is someplace that golf carts are used by everyone attending the event and apparently theft is a problem.

That said, I am going to try and incorporate a golf ball into another logo so maybe he can market to the golf courses. Not sure if the problem of theft is as prevalent there though.

Thanks to everyone who provided insight and suggestions. As this is my first true logo development for a client I am anxious to hear what he thinks.

TheSellOut

I don't have time to work in it but how about this:

A front on shot of a golf cart with steer horns coming off of it like you would see on the front of a car, and the lock hole in the center.

I would stay away from golf balls with this logo...we're not locking up our balls but our carts

JManes7

My shot at it.

Attachments

• SteerLock.gif
    SteerLock.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 114

Circleville Signs

What I said earlier appears to have gone unnoticed.

Cows are steers are slaughtered by an air piston driven rod that is placed, you guessed it, in the middle of their forehead. It drives a 1" round steel rod into their brain.

i don't think you want that imagery :)

stephenj148

What I said earlier appears to have gone unnoticed.

Cows are steers are slaughtered by an air piston driven rod that is placed, you guessed it, in the middle of their forehead. It drives a 1" round steel rod into their brain.

i don't think you want that imagery :)
I thought it might have had something to do with it, but not being familiar with it I didn't guess.

But I agree with you.

artsnletters

Here's some ideas.

those are awesome...totally killer ideas, Nice!

on another topic no ones has seemed to mention...i think the name is the problem...or at least the cow. Makes me think of preventing people from rustling cattle. Too western, too bovine. It doesn't give one a mental image of stopping someone from stealing your golf cart.

And golf carts are probably used MORE for transporting people or stuff at motorsports oriented events, there is quite a market for customized golf carts with custom paint billet accessories, lifted carts and trick wheels...much more so than simple golf carts.
Tim

rjpjr

IF you are going to use a STEER, then make sure it is a longhorn and not a dairy cow. :Big Laugh

Attachments

• Steer-Lock-03.30.10.jpg
    Steer-Lock-03.30.10.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 83

TheSellOut

I was thinking the same thing about the horns...but they have all been looking so good!

Attachments

• SteerLock.jpg
    SteerLock.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 96

phototec

"cart lock"

on another topic no ones has seemed to mention...i think the name is the problem...or at least the cow. Makes me think of preventing people from rustling cattle. Too western, too bovine. It doesn't give one a mental image of stopping someone from stealing your golf cart.

And golf carts are probably used MORE for transporting people or stuff at motorsports oriented events, there is quite a market for customized golf carts with custom paint billet accessories, lifted carts and trick wheels...much more so than simple golf carts.
Tim

I totally agree with Tim, all the logos (some are very good), lead me to think this is a locking device for steers (cattle), there is absolutely NO link to golf carts. I'm afraid this is the wrong image to use for this application.

Stop for a moment, take a deep breath and look at the logo, does it say golf cart to you?

Sometimes the client has an image in their head that they think would be great for selling their newly invented gizmo, but they are too close to the product and know what it is intended to be used for, often when I design a logo for a client, I would create about a dozen different designs and the client would have focus groups evaluate the different designs, the people in the focus groups would not know what the product was at first, and asked what they thought the product would be associated with the logo. Then later they would be shown the product and asked which logo would best fit the product and make them want to purchase the product.

Many times the logo picked by the focus group would not be the logo the client first wanted, again, the client was to close to the product to be objective. It take a group of different people to be objective about a new unfamiliar logo.

So, my 2 cents, would be NOT to use a STEER with a bullet hole in it's forehead, but rather a logo depicting a golf cart with a lock!,

"CART LOCK", to secure cart, not a steer!

rjpjr

I totally agree with Tim, all the logos (some are very good), lead me to think this is a locking device for steers (cattle), there is absolutely NO link to golf carts. ... does it say golf cart to you?

Potentially interesting discussion...

Let's look at the AT&T logo. There is nothing about it that says "Phones". Instead they chose to represent themselves with an Icon depicting the World. They did this to create the impression that they have maximum coverage and that they possess strength and power.

Assuming that this client is successful over time, do they really want their name restricting them to only Golf Carts? That would seem to limit their ability to branch out into other markets if they so desired.

I liked the idea of a logo with a "Longhorn" steer. To me a Longhorn represents Power and Authority. The horns are defensive and protecting and I believe that is a good message for this particular client to portray.

my .02 cents...

signmeup

I think the steer head should be a robot steer head with a red eye that goes side to side like a cylon. Something that looks ornery.

SignManiac

I'll toss out a couple too. Does anyone know what the actual locking device for the golf carts look like?

Attachments

• SteerLock.jpg
    SteerLock.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 89

phototec

Wheel Lock, Not Steer Lock?

Potentially interesting discussion...

Let's look at the AT&T logo. There is nothing about it that says "Phones".

I think you are missing my point, you are comparing apples and grapes, the AT&T logo is a long established logotype that has gone through many transitions in the last 120 plus years, starting out with the BELL logo, which was directly associated with the bell on early telephones, do you remember (see attachment)?

Yes, NOW AT&T is a world wide provider of all forms of communications and the latest revision to their logo is a representation of the full spectrum of the service, worldwide communications.

The Golf Cart Lock is a brand NEW device, and the logotype for the product should be linked to the market to which it is intended to be used, golf carts, not cattle. I just think it should NOT show something it has nothing to do with, a steering wheel, yes, cows (steer) NO. Unless you can use it to lock your steers.

There are many logotypes that don't directly indicate the product as you referenced the AT&T logo, take DELL, it doesn't say computer, Adobe, doesn't say graphics software, 3M doesn't say scotch tape, however, they don't depict a steer head either, or any other animal, mineral, or vegetable, and yet over time they have become very recognizable logos.

What if the girl scout logo depicted a steer head instead of the three girls faces?

All I'm saying is, if the device is used to secure a golf cart, than indicate that fact, if the product is used for locking the steering wheel, than show a steering wheel in the logo. SignManiac created one of the best logotypes (see attached), no steer head, just a clean logotype, representing a Steering Lock.

Attachments

• att_logo_change.jpg
    att_logo_change.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 121
  • SteerLock crop.jpg
    SteerLock crop.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 114