• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo layout. Let me know what you think

WrapperX

...he spent 4 years and a lot of mom and dads money to come up with a design like that. Sure he's gonna be sensitive. Whether he knows what he's doing or not is a lesson life will have to teach him.:cool:

The wave of the future - scary isn't it?

Marlene

it's awful looking. the outline with the way too thin inline makes it way too complex and hard on the eyes. I have no intentions of submitting a resume to critique your logo and am sure that no one else here will either. I suggest that you lose that attitude. people here are just letting you know that your amazing design isn't. most people find that helpful kind of like having a good friend tell you that you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe and not letting you walk around like that. put this design out there and you people will laugh at your talents.

Last edited:

daveb

General Know-it-all
I have no intentions of submitting a resume to critique your logo and am sure that no one else here will either. I suggest that you lose that attitude. people here are just leting you know that your amazing design isn't. most people find that helpful kind of like having a good friend tell you that you ahve toilet paper stuck to your shoe and not letting you walk around like that. put this design out there and you people will laugh at your talents.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
I love this place, and really coming to appreciate the women on here!:cool:

sardocs

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Joi de Vie is quite how Joie de Vivre is spelled. If the spelling doesn't matter, why should the design?

SignManiac

I'm probably not qualified but when I think of beauty salons, this is more of what I have in mind.

Attachments

• Joi De Vei.jpg
    Joi De Vei.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 117

Joe Diaz

Amazing Designs,

Keep in mind you asked for people's opinions.

Some folks will just tell you they don't like your work, some will tell you how you can fix it, but one thing stays the same. Anything other than a pat on the back can be used to help improve your abilities, if you let it. Because your job isn't to design work that will satisfy your own tastes, your job is to design work that will satisfy everyone else's. Don't get in a habit of becoming to attached to your designs, because it will limit what you are capable of doing.

The ability to design good work isn't always related to the ability to tell when a design is lacking something. Anyone can do a squint test and realize that your design is hard to read. It doesn't take an expansive portfolio to see that. But it does take a lot of experience and knowhow to tell you what exactly is wrong and how to fix it. You have that here. Above are a few comments that tell you exactly what you need to do to improve this design. And they are easy fixes too.

You have a choice. You can either use all of your time and energy defending a design and coming up with excuses on why it is the way it is... or you can swallow some pride and at the very least see if those suggestions help or lead you towards a better solution. What is the worst that can happen?

I don't know maybe you are right. We don't know your customer at all. Your design might be the perfect match for them, but I'm guessing if they had the option between a clear and easy to read design and the one you posted, they would pick the easy to read option. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

Just my two and half cents.

signgal

Also, if you listen to the actual suggestions and try them yourself, you may understand what they are saying to you. Try it, post it and you will be amazed at the way it develops. I was going to tell you, I agree with the "salon and spa" being most important but it's a real "turn off" when someone acts the way you have. I think the samples loaded up here show you how the emphasis can be on the "salon and spa" while the name has appropriate weight added. Try to be open-minded and accept that you might not be as "amazing" as you think.

SignManiac

Well thanks Fatboy, but I'm nowhere near that good, "maybe" better than average.

I've been doing logo designs for thirty years and I still feel like a beginner at times. To tell the truth, I don't put that much effort into them. I've just learned how important graphic elements and their relationship are to any design. My number one advice to anyone trying to learn logo design is work in black and white, and once that's right, you can play with color.

I cheat and use any clip art that's available so long as it's appropriate and most always modify it so it doesn't look obviously like clip art. I can come up with a half way descent design in fifteen minutes or so and then with a little tweaking, they are salable. Notice how funny the word salable looks? Not a word you use everyday.

Last edited:

Fatboy

I find it interesting that you design in black and white....going to try it out.I am really batling with design.

Amazing Designs

A) I am having a hard time to come up with something because you know that its always harder creating something for yourself.

B) I appreciate corrective criticism.... not just its junk or it looks horrible... How does that help me get better.

C)Thanks to Jill, Perks, signmaniac, and the ones back at the beginning... Sorry never expected all this crazyness..

D) to all the ones ragging me, I am self taught and don't claim to be a great artist.... never spent a dime of mom and dads money, and I am learning every day!!!

E) The name of the Salon was not my idea and if you are married you know what it's like trying to change a womens mind... I was against the name, but obviously that is what the women wanted... Joie De Vivre is the actual name that is French for "Joy of Living", "Joy of life", to live, living"...

by the way signmaniac I like what you came up with, you know what your doing I appreciate that, and I have seen some great work on here by others! I know everyone is busy never expected resumes I think everyone is really going a lil overboard with that. Since everyone is on the business name, It is my moms name she came up with when she started hand painting... The Amazing part is from Amazing Grace.... So please don't act like I am saying I am the best, because i know that I am by far far far from having an ounce of talent like others out there I would like to develop into a much better designer...

I am not the best at typing what I want to say and never really liked doing it because I have obviously stirred things up... wasn't looking to do that.. Sorry

Pat Whatley

A) I am having a hard time to come up with something because you know that its always harder creating something for yourself.

Bull, that's the biggest cop out answer on this (and most other) sites. From what I've seen the only reason it's "harder" is because we all get used to passing off the same old rehashed ideas to our customers...we won't do that to ourselves, we know better.

And the longer I hang out on this site the more I think I should just start copying and pasting Dan's comments.

jiarby

Great!.... Another Prozac deficient designer. Welcome aboard.

Contour Tool is Corel. Stroke in Illy. You took a thin elegant font and added two strokes, BOTH thicker than the original font. That makes the whole thing look like Kirstie Ally in a Speedo.

Excessive stroke outlines on serif fonts create out of place artifacts... you can break it apart and delete these. (see attached)

I do not like the baby poop brown with the green pine cone (or whatever it is) background. A little more teal-ish would bring them closer to being complementary

Attachments

• SNAG-0212.jpg
    SNAG-0212.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 141

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
green and speedo... got that cursed image in my head again.. curse you!!!