Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a "good" X-Acto knife?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by myront, Sep 19, 2018.

1. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I've used many different brands of X-Acto knives over these 18+ years. Never liked any of 'em. Blade slips out no matter how tight you turn it, rubber grip fails, barrel cracks etc.
    upload_2018-9-19_13-50-1.png

What is the little slot for in these blades? Why can't they make a knife that utilizes that feature to lock it in? Why not incorporate an "anti-roll" feature to prevent it from rolling off the table every time you set it down?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Personally, I use Craftsman utility knives. The blades are dirt cheap and you can fold the knife and carry it everywhere.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Hmm...don't know how accurate of a cut one can make but I'm willing to give it a shot. For example, cutting a circle out of magnetic material would be tough. As would intricate shapes from coroplast.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Yeah, this may not suffice then. We don't hand cut contours in anything, so these work perfectly for me. For contour cut coro and magnets, we just outsource.

5. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    Attached is what I always use. Saw somebody said the blades fall out etc. I have never had a blade fall out. They are dull way before I think they would ever fall out. Anyways. Give this one a try, and you’ll love it I guarantee.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
  7. signman315

signman315 Signmaker

Oct 5, 2015
    Edmeston, NY
    No OLFA fans here? I've had the same one for 11 years and love it....I actually carry 2 knives...the OLFA with the "art" style blades and a generic utility knife (got a freebie from Glantz that I currently use). So I'll use the utility knife for packaging, rough cutting, cardboard, and the heavier and less precise stuff. Then I'll use the OLFA for vehicle wraps, vinyl cutting/weeding, and other fine detail stuff. The OLFA being retractable will slip back into it's sleeve if you press too hard, but it's not meant for heavy work and so one shouldn't be pressing that hard anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. signman315

signman315 Signmaker

Oct 5, 2015
    Edmeston, NY
    What about Frank's toe knife? Seems like a fine tool for signage... OccasionalLongAbyssiniangroundhornbill-mobile.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  9. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
  10. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I use the Olfa XA-1 with 30 degree blades for just about everything. Bigger knives and blades I only found useful for cutting long straight lines with a ruler and I only ever use the art knives for weeding. 30 degree blades will do everything in a retractable and easy to carry knife.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    upload_2018-9-19_15-31-7.png
    Nope. That's the one I can't get the blade to tighten. Doesn't fall completely out but slips back and forth or in/out about an 1/8" or so. The blade is meant to only go one way even though it appears it could go the either way. Does have an anti roll "knub" on it though.

The quest continues.

Still no answer as to what the slot in the blade is for?

12. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I always thought there was something in the collet that rested in the slit of the blade for a better grip, but I guess not!

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Fiskars. This is my current go-to:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-167110-1001-Heavy-Craft-Knife/dp/B001A42CTW

but I also like the exacto found in the Hyper Tough precision knife set because I find that the handle is a bit more comfortable over long periods of time, but the blades included are junk.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...recision-Knife-Set-With-Storage-Case/17190601

13. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I keep an Olfa SVR-2 in my pocket or on my shirt most the time. For new guys and misc table work, we use one of the bigger yellow plastic ones. I've converted all my Xactos to weeding picks.

14. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  15. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    Yes on that Olfa I use it has a little round ball type thing in it and it slides in the space to lock it in.

16. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    Also I saw somebody use it wrong before. It has 2 slits the blade can go in. One goes all the way across, which is not the right slit it goes it. The other is a slit just wide enough for the blade to go in and not all the way across

17. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    This is the most awesome knife I've found. Gripping action is similar to a straight knife, but the pressure is directed to the base of your index finger and makes cutting almost effortless. Insert the blade 180 degrees (backwards) and it also doubles as an awesome weeding tool.

The blade slides into slots in the barrel and can not swivel or work loose.

See it in action here: (CAUTION: absolutely beautiful hands at work in the video)

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Crafting-and-Sewing/Craft-Knives-and-Blades/Fingertip-Detail-Knife

fiskars-orange-knife-2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  18. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    To keep it from rolling, wrap a thick rubber band around the top. Its lumpy enough to stop it and if it does take off it just goes in a circle.

19. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    Actually, there is only one brand of X-acto knife. It's X-acto. Any similarly designed blades and precision knives are not X-acto.
    There are a number of trademark registrations for X-acto, both for the name and for the design of the name. The trademark owner is Sanford LP.

Sometimes a brand name becomes so inextricably welded to its product that in the minds of consumers it becomes almost generic. But just as facial tissues are not all Kleenex brand, so it is with many tools we use.
    Only one company makes Sawzall reciprocating saws, for example. It's Milwaukee. To say "DeWalt Sawzall" is like saying "Chevy Mustang."

When a product name becomes used often enough as a common noun it can actually lose trademark protection. This is called genericide.

Regarding the slots, they are probably useful in the manufacturing process for collating, stringing on wires, or otherwise in the handling process. But there seems to be no reason why they cannot be useful in the blade holder in some way. Scalpal blades fit into the surgeon's bayonette using the slots.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    So letting it roll off the edge of the table and embed itself into your thigh is not the recommended workflow?

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1