• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a "good" X-Acto knife?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For what all the different knives cost, why not just buy one of say...... 5 or 6 of the top names or ones mentioned here and form your own decision ?? I mean, what are ya gonna spend ?? $60 at most ??

We have so many different kinds here, but my favorite is a Stanley Snap Off, I keep on me at all times. I can use all the others, but prefer the Stanley.

As for rolling away, most places have work stations, so if you put a piece of HDU or foam at each of the work stations, ya just stick it in there, while not in use. If ya wanna lay it down temporarily, just put it between the two grooves of a squeegee.

tooler82

You can see kind of in the picture the slot that doesn't go all the way across is the one the blade goes in. I have a different type and the slit goes all the way across for the blade. This one is different. Also, the other picture shows the ball and cut out where the ball has to slide into or it won't tighten up.

Attachments

• IMG_2081-2.jpg
    IMG_2081-2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2082-2.jpg
    IMG_2082-2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 429

DerbyCitySignGuy

So letting it roll off the edge of the table and embed itself into your thigh is not the recommended workflow?

Absolutely not. The appropriate workflow is to leave it sitting on the table uncapped so you can rest your forearm on it and cut yourself.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I thought the notch was for the manufacturing process... to hold the blade in place while sharpening and hardening the edge.
I thought it was like when people used to take a penny and stick it in the treads of your tires. If you could see the top of Lincoln's head it was time for new tires.
Get a Xacto stuck in an arm or a leg - Unscrew the handle - if you can see the notch above the skin - no need to go to the hospital. No notch visible - call 911.

bannertime

Absolutely not. The appropriate workflow is to leave it sitting on the table uncapped so you can rest your forearm on it and cut yourself.

I just toss mine up until it lands upright into the cutting mat! Then when the blades snap and leaves the shards of sharp metal I can slice my finger tips open cleaning the table.

rjssigns

I use Olfa Silver series. Have a bunch of them. Also use a Stanley Fat-Max with 18mm snap blades. Nice cushion grip on it.

Fiskars index finger rig looks promising.

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
I love this one - google "nt cartridge cutter 30 degree"
615RrgzljkL._SX425_.jpg

Ohers have been mentioning the Olfa SAC-1 which is all metal
OLFA-SAC-1-Knife-Angle-Graphic-Art-Stainless-Steel-Cutter-Slide-Auto-Lock-OLFA-SAC-1.jpg_640x640.jpg

The yellow one up top is a bit rounder and so a little easier to "roll".

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Yes we use the Gripster too. Not bad but still rolls too much for me. I suppose I could find an oblong washer to replace the hex one.

upload_2018-9-28_14-4-55.png
upload_2018-9-28_14-8-3.png

chester215

Just call me Chester.
From another web site:

What the hole in the blade is for.....

The original, inexpensive Xacto knives were of a split handle style design: stamped sheet metal with a rivet in the middle where the two halves pivoted. You rotated them to an "X" and the blade just fit over a stud on one side. Rotate back to close and use it. And, unlike some collet designs, the blade could not come out. You would need to pull it to the point where either the blade or that stud broke.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I used to be a fan of the x-acto with the #11 blade so much so that I had one of those on me at all times for detailed cuts and a typical olfa with the retractable blad for all the straight simple stuff. So much so that it took me years to get used to the new 30 degree blades.Now I love the yellow NT cartridge knifes listed above. They hold 5 blades, repetitively cheap, and the blades don't wobble all over the place.

The best place to buy knives and blades I have found is www.44tools.com.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I love the NT Cutter!

5 blades in the knife and ready to go! Doing wraps and vehicle graphics a sharp blade is essential.

We also have Blade Cages for snapping off the blade and easy for holding bad sections.

Bly

I love this one - google "nt cartridge cutter 30 degree"
615RrgzljkL._SX425_.jpg

I like the big Stanley Fatmax but they were tearing holes in all my jeans so now go with the NT 30 degree.
Nice and light, loads up with a stack of spare blades and is pointy enough to weed a little vinyl.

For serious weeding I grab a real Exacto though.

Bobas Kalobas

Personally, I use Craftsman utility knives. The blades are dirt cheap and you can fold the knife and carry it everywhere.
I use both, and several others...they are all different tools. I only use the utility knife for major surgery and the
I've used many different brands of X-Acto knives over these 18+ years. Never liked any of 'em. Blade slips out no matter how tight you turn it, rubber grip fails, barrel cracks etc.
View attachment 136695

What is the little slot for in these blades? Why can't they make a knife that utilizes that feature to lock it in? Why not incorporate an "anti-roll" feature to prevent it from rolling off the table every time you set it down?
I have no probs taking them off the handle, I like the idea of something to keep them from rolling, like a pencil. I only use the utility knife for major surgery and the e-xacto for removing tiny objects from the patients eyes.