• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question looking for advice for a first time digital printer purchase

HighlandSigns

I got free training and free freight. Anything over 1k is free freight here... Might be more if you have no local grimco/ndgraphics.

You can setup the 115 and the cutter yourself. Takes half a day... I setup my own cutter because I wanted it downstairs, it's as easy as screwing a couple bolts in. The printer is a little trickier, but it's a home printer and self installable... You need a second person to help you, but it's also doable... So if they won't do free install, just do it yourself and save a grand.

How far away is grimco? Rent a U-Haul and drive and pick it up yourself, probably cheaper than spending $500

Here's is the brochure I was referring to, where the machines are set up back to back.

I know, I can do all those things by myself, but that's just how ND Graphics quoted the machine. Bit of a joke really.

For the shipping I assume that means the shipping from Toronto to Halifax.

Attachments

• Print Cut.JPG
    Print Cut.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 278

1leonchen

my advise to u. starting buy a mutoh 54 inch. new or fully manufacturer refurbished. if u have a low budget. if u have a good budget buy a roland. eco solvent ink smells. no what the manufacture. i will not buy a hp. i own 2 solvent printers. i takes time and patience to run. plus a good business head to run machine and make profit. support is key. supplier is key. and investing in u is the best ting u can do. just my opnion. any printer can use. u are its greatest weakness.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You've got to be doing a boat-load of printing to pay off the investment in a printing operation. Along with the cost of the printer, you will need a laminator and a cutter, external ventilation and air supply (check your local code), trimmer, additional room to handle and store materials, large work tables, additional employees, etc. The big wholesale printers can buy material for half what you will pay and have the loading docks, racks, and forklifts needed to handle the material. When I can buy high quality, laminated high-performance cast vinyl already printed and contour cut for $3 sq. ft. (not much more than the materials and ink alone would cost me, buying in smaller roll sizes and quantities) it makes it easy (for me) to decide not to print in-house.

The only disadvantages to not printing your own graphics, as far as I'm concerned, are turn-around time and re-printing something that got messed up in installation. I am busy enough that I do not need to do signs on demand, and most of my installs are scheduled a week or two out, plenty of time to have my prints delivered (4 working days including delivery from my usual sources). If I screw something up, yes, that's another 4 days, but that is really rare (if you have inexperienced installers that could be a problem). It's really like any service industry; if the plumber breaks the toilet he is installing, he will have to order a new one and reschedule.

Nanci

Hello, helpful people. I've been in business for 18 years, happily subcontracting my digital printing out. I'm at the point, though, that I am overpaying for small prints, and so I am considering purchasing a small digital printer. Can anyone give me advice as to how to proceed? I've looked at the Gerber FX Edge, and rejected the thermal print idea. I looked at the Roland 20", which has integrated contour cutting (but no laminating). My supplier said there was a local company (sort of - only 100 miles away) that sells Mutoh. That would be closer than any Roland dealer. Plus... should I consider a 54" printer? My supplier is urging me to consider that for ease of supply, but I'd really like to focus on a smaller printer. I'm interested in a machine that prints and cuts, but what about laminating? Is there a type of printing that renders laminating unnecessary? I am a small shop in a small town, 70 miles from the nearest urban area. I've never done digital printing, so ease of learning is probably a good consideration. Can anyone help, please? Lynn

I was pretty much in the same position this time last year. My gripe was that I did not have enough control over my designs. Also, I do a lot of boat lettering, and often a boat is sold one day and launched the next, no time to order a print, and it was really cramping my design style. This is an excellent time of the year to buy, by the way, with show specials in February.
I bought a Mutoh 54", and an entry level laminator, a Master. I couldn't be happier. A year later, I am doing jobs that I simply would not have gotten without a printer. It was a bit of a learning curve, but I had my old software to work with while learning Flexi. The Flexi was a bonus I did not expect. I love it, makes my old Omega software look so lame.
I've been in business for 30 years, so I already have customers, and I found that it did not take long to make the printer pay for ittself. Best investment I ever made, should have done it sooner.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If you are doing signs on demand, or have a specialized service, or are busy enough to keep a printer running consistently and need quick turnaround, adding on-site printing capability might make sense. I would advise, however, to do a cost analysis, taking into consideration all the costs. Most shops will find that outsourcing will result in considerably lower fabrication costs, and allow you to offer more competitive pricing or higher profit margins.

Cyclynn

Ooo... great feedback, even if they oppose each other. For any of you... what would you do if you were trying to sell your business?