Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy a CNC

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by montrealsigns, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. montrealsigns

montrealsigns New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Montreal, Quebec, canada
    Hello group
    We are looking to buy a CNC. Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Zund makes a stellar CNC. Pricey, but if you can afford it, well worth the investment.

3. SouthEastMIsigns

SouthEastMIsigns Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Michigan
    I'm in the same boat and have currently narrowed our search down to the Multicam Apex 1R, Vision VR48, and Techno HD/Atlas 4896. I would suggest narrowing your search and then reaching out to each company. They will conduct 1 on 1 video demonstrations or even visit your shop. What I have learned is it really comes down to what you plan on making with your router and what options you need or can pass up.

4. SouthEastMIsigns

SouthEastMIsigns Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Michigan

5. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Like any equipment, it depends on what you're going to do with it. Yes, Zunds are fantastic, but they're not really made to cut aluminum.
    For a fab shop type environment, MultiCam and AXYZ would be my top choices. For finishing printed panels and such, it'd be the Zund or an Esko.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. montrealsigns

montrealsigns New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Montreal, Quebec, canada
    Thanks

7. montrealsigns

montrealsigns New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Montreal, Quebec, canada
    Thanks

8. collegekrap

collegekrap New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Milwaukee
    What substrates are you cutting and thicknesses?

9. Shaun S

Shaun S New Member

Buy one that has LOCAL service available. Best piece of advice that I can give!

10. SignEST

SignEST New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Port Coquitlam
    It could be possible to get away without having a 'local' service specific machine if your area has a guy who maintains and repairs CNC machinery. Will not help with the software side though.

11. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Have you seen the handheld CNC units?

• Like Like x 1
  12. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Too bad you are in montreal. I have a friend with a large cnc for sale for 15k in florida.

13. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    What is your friend selling?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Axyz 6012 cnc router table. 10hp colombo spindle with pneumatic quick release. 8 tool auto changer vac table w 10hp airtech pump.
    From his ad.

15. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    May be a little too large of footprint - but that seems like a good price. Can you attest to the condition? Is their ad on here?

16. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Laguna Tools. Awesome company. Great service. Local. Workhorse Machines. We have a 60x120 smartshop Cut's anything.

17. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Sorry to Thread Jack, do you have one of their CNCs? do you like the workflow with it? do you have their camera system?

18. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    I'm not trying to scare you off buying one, just hoping you'll consider the following.

Our shop on average does a couple routed HDU signs per month, several custom shape cut panels from a variety of materials, etc. and we still can't justify the purchase of one. Our next door neighbor is a custom woodworking shop with a 5'x10' AXYZ, 8 tool changer, multizone vacuum, 10hp cutter who gives us a reasonable wholesale rate and has all the above mentioned issues AND maintenance, bits, payments, insurance, etc. to worry about.

We only have a 2,500 square foot shop and at times it barely fits all we have going on. They do all of their own work on it, our work and the routing work of several other local businesses and there are times when it sits idle.

Do you already have the workload to justify its purchase and dedicated space to accommodate a machine that is:

A.) Big
    B.) Loud
    C.) Consumes lots of energy
    D.) Throws a lot of dust and particulate into the air no matter how good of a vacuum system you purchase
    E.) Requires a person capable of operating a complex and potentially dangerous tool that includes some degree of computer knowledge along with being able to look at files and properly prep them for pathcutting.
    F.) Has constant upkeep issues to deal with in order to preserve its value and functionality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Yes I can attest to its condition. The young man selling it takes exceptional care of his toys.

20. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Yes we have one of their SmartShop 1 60x120 table. We really love the machine. Everything is saved out of vcarve to a USB. USB stick in the controller and run the job from their. Keeps the CNC unattached from the computer and we never have a program fail or stop. Suction on the table is awesome. Easily holds down aluminum through a 3/4" sheet of MDO plywood sacrifice board. We don't have the camera system I don't believe this came out until one of their newer models. Has some very good tools. What I really like is if we ever have an issue, which has been twice, I call and I speak to someone in this country who knows what they are talking about. They don't just read a script to me to figure out what's going on. The two times we had issues it was because of our operator changing the scale the motor uses to determine what's an inch. Love the machine.