• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost my dog Jake today

RebeckaR

I'm so sorry that you lost your buddy.
Even though it's tough when you lose them, it's worth it.
I don't think I'd be able to eat lunch without a pair of big brown eyes staring at my sandwich. Or a big slimey cold nose on my elbow telling me it's time to go outside for a while. eck!
I can't watch Marley and Me. My lab is 10 years old and starting to slow down. Just thinking about it... gotta go fix my makeup now.

Craig Sjoquist

It is true a dog is mans best friend, put Vikin to sleep 7-19-11 after a a while realized I really wanted a another dog around well Oct 22 got another the dog was so very happy he had a new owner and still is yes I named him Vikin.

I cried reading your post guess it really hits us hard when we lose our best friends, well good thoughts hope you find peace and get another dog. good people should not be without long.

Baz

So sorry to hear this. I feel for you and your family ... Best wishes for all of you!

petesign

My day started cleaning a big pile in the hall, and I still love my pups. Just wish they would not 1. get on the counter and steal cat food, and 2. be a little easier to spot when they wander off in search of a nice place to relieve themselves. Wouldn't trade either of them for the world. One is starting to mature and really slow down... and get grouchy. I am not looking forward to his decline :( I wish they lived a lot longer. Also wish I could bring them to the shop with me.

Clear Choice

Yeah I wonder how much pet insurance would have covered.
Our bill was in the thousands

http://www.petinsurancereviews.org/compare/pet-insurance-reviews.html
Here is just one link to a Pet Insurance comparison chart.
Most of what I hear on pet insurance is good if you choose
wisely.

Much depends on how old your pet is, what breed, what size,
and how much insurance coverage you want.
Accident Only, Accident & Illness, Full Routine & Emergency Care.

Just like your own insurance there are deductibles and co-pays.
But, when compared to thousands of dollars in emergency and
illness costs, a few hundred dollars a year is a bargain for
peace of mind. For most plans, you pay the vet and then
file the insurance claim to be reimbursed.

A fellow worker had a 6 y/o Golden Retriever that needed hip
surgery...to the tune of $7,000. They had two teenage children
and could not afford the dog's surgery.
It's hard enough to face losing a loved pet to health/accident
issues. Eliminating a good portion of the money worries makes it
easier to concentrate on what treatment is right.

I don't have insurance on my two guys....but seriously, I am
looking into it. The price of vet care has skyrocketed in the
past 5-10 years.

Below is one of my guys...Nicky will be 14 on Christmas Eve
and is still playing with toys and acting like a much younger dog.
His Mom and Grandmom both lived to be just over 18.
But, no matter their age, it is still so hard to lose them.

Sue

Attachments

• Nicky.jpg
    Nicky.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Spending $7K on a two dollar dog is a level of silliness I hope never to personally achieve.

I'm wondering where the two dollar dog bit came in.

All I saw was "fellow co-worker that had a 6 yr. old Golden Retriever".

I've seen people that couldn't truly afford it, buy a show winning animal to show themselves and couldn't pay for a vet bill like that due to obvious reasons. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I'm not saying that it's the case now, but it is a possibility. I just think it was a little premature to label it as a "two dollar dog".

Not just relatively inexpensive dogs and cats, I have a couple of horses that are both worth 5 digits each. They live under the same rules. If one should colic or whatever, I'll treat the symptoms but if the animal shouldn't respond and require more intensive, invasive, and concomitantly expensive, procedures, most likely I'll just put it down. Been there, done that more times than I like to think about.

I spent a lot of money for surgery for a stallion. More then 7k, however, that horse has since earned more money during his active show life and continues to earn money through a full book, although that's going to change this season that has more then paid off that bill. In fact, that bill was paid off with the next show years winnings. So even if you look at it from a cold hard economic standpoint, it would depend.

However, I will say this, I'm a sucker for animals. I do value them differently from the next person, certainly different then how bob has "voiced" here. Might seem silly to some, I'm at the age that I don't care about that. I don't go totally over board, but I'm sure I go further then the next person. It just varies, but I can certainly understand it.