• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MAC or Windows ?

good afternoon everyone,
Our shop is replacing most of our epuipment & we want to upgrade computers. In the past they have always been "store bought systems"
But it is time to step it up. we are looking to focus more on design & to start offering vehicle wraps. SO the question is what are your opinions on replacement, what I should or shouldn't be looking for in an upgrade. Thanks in advance.----Sean

iSign

buy what people already know how to use, & what the programs you already own will run on.

WVB

buy what people already know how to use, & what the programs you already own will run on.

Exactly..! Or you can do it the harder way and buy Mac's, but run the virtual Windows on your Mac to get your PC based software to work on a Mac... Otherwise you will have to buy all new software that you already purchased for a PC... Choice is yours...

FatCat

Sean, the new intel macs are very versatile. They boot in either the Mac OS or Windows or Unix/Linux. So essentially you can have 1 box to run a multitude of different apps and operating systems based on your needs. I currently run both a mac and a pc due to designers bringing in files created with different versions. However, when I get the funds I'll be going either to the 24" imac or a Mac Pro and be able to boot whatever OS I need, and use whatever software I have with one machine.

Techman

I use PC's always have and likely always will. I have never had a file come in from a MAC.. Never.

And I had a t-shirt printer who used a MAC but had no problems using my PC files. So, There was ne
ver a need for a MAC.

eforer

That bootcamp deal is pretty cool, sort of like a GUI based LiLo. The only issue I have with buying Macs is the cost. You can build a better PC (they are all running core 2 duo's now anyways) for a fraction of the price. The Mac cases are pretty though.

The Mac OS is certainly more appealing than vista, but I still run XP and intend to stay that way. I just wished Apple had picked a better kernel for their OS. The XNU kernel is based on the Mach kernel which totally sucks.

There's talk of Adobe releasing Linux versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, if there was a RIP that ran on Linux, it would be an appealing option.

In the end, cost benefit for me still = windows, but I build my own machines. If I were buying, I might think twice.

GK

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard is going to have bootcamp which will allow XP & Vista to run natively on it, assuming you have licensed copies of XP & Vista to install on it...so its not like you just pop the software in and run it, if its going to need the operating system on the machine there is going to be a lot more to it then just running the software. Personally, id never want to do it because my Macs are nice and stable =) I rather buy the additional software and know the machines arent going to crash. But ya still need PCs for most RIPs.

iSign

hate to pop anyones bubbles... but my pc's are nice and stable too... seems some tend to think we all live in fear of the blue screen or get attacked by a virus every flu season... I've never had a virus running 5 pc's for 10 years... & don't crash enough to lose any sleep (or money) over either... but the mac guys do need to keep selling themselves on the costs for that extra uniqueness & prestigiousness... so they may feel free to disbelieve

The Dotted Line

The Dotted Line
I'd do some research and see what the top design firms in your area, or nationally, are using. Then I'd go that route. If your focus is design, you will probably come across the answer rather easily.

Good luck!
James

FatCat

I've been using both MAC's and PC's professionally for over 13 years. I've heard about every argument for/against MAC's and PC's. They each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Regardless of what anyone "feels" about MAC's or PC's, they are just tools. Tools that are used to get work done. Use what makes you most productive and what you are most comfortable with.

***HOWEVER, I must stress that instead of making your decision based on everyone's "opinion", go out and experience things yourself and make up your own mind from there.:thumb:

os101king

wanna spend $3000 for $1500 worth of computer?

hate to pop anyones bubbles... but my pc's are nice and stable too... seems some tend to think we all live in fear of the blue screen or get attacked by a virus every flu season... I've never had a virus running 5 pc's for 10 years... & don't crash enough to lose any sleep (or money) over either... but the mac guys do need to keep selling themselves on the costs for that extra uniqueness & prestigiousness... so they may feel free to disbelieve

I'm with you, ISign. Run PC's for ten years and never once had a blue screen. Maybe two or three run-ins with viruses but always caught them on the way in. The PC bashing code-monkeys who try to shove MAC's down our throats should have their I Phones implanted firmly in their colons.

Seriously, you like it, keep it. It works? Keep it. Switch only if you're already convinced Macs are better, and it doesn't seem that way to me. Besides, we all want to see Mr. Gates become the first independent Trillionaire, right?:glasses:

bullcrew

I'm with you, ISign. Run PC's for ten years and never once had a blue screen. Maybe two or three run-ins with viruses but always caught them on the way in. The PC bashing code-monkeys who try to shove MAC's down our throats should have their I Phones implanted firmly in their colons.

Seriously, you like it, keep it. It works? Keep it. Switch only if you're already convinced Macs are better, and it doesn't seem that way to me. Besides, we all want to see Mr. Gates become the first independent Trillionaire, right?:glasses:
Hey I have a pc and use an Iphone. Love pc and the iphone is slick, I love the brand/patriotism that people show and get all funky with HURAH cr@p.
I agrea with looking around and getting the most bang for your buck, dont go and compare 3 like units side by side and find yourself buying the biggest baddest mofo out there. I went to Frys and might as well pulled out a couch and started living there it took me so long. I went home last night and thought it over, i ran in grabbed what i needed not what they said and ran out. :thumb:
PC/MAC whatevers got the most bang for the buck and whats going to be usefull 3 years from now.
Good luck and look forward to seeing your decision and why.