• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

magnetic sign from signwarehouse

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
only use magnum here, but the instructions i give out to customers is almost exact to the SW ones, and i've never had a problem with paint on a customer's vehicle...

and i couldn't DISAGREE more with cajun312.....this is the whole reason why WE as sign shops include instructions sheets to our customers and don't offer a warranty on the material...if it's not applied to the vehicle correctly, it will cause damage (not even Magnum offers a warranty on the material)....now, if ratmotor applied the magnets as directed (which he does not state in his original post), and this still happened, then yes i agree with cajun312....but since he didn't know about any kind of instructions...i'm assuming he didn't wax the vehicle, or take them off daily (as SW's info states)......SW has no fault here, and i think they're begin kinda nice for even offering the 10% discount

MrKoob

Also depends on if the vehicle is brand new or has been freshly painted. Sometimes the paint or protection hasn't cured and can cause problems. I'd never leave magnetics on all the time.

flisk

higabyte

I was going to use them for personal use and take them off daily. And actually only have them on while I'm driving. It would be going on an 05 Dodge Ram that is the mineral grey metallic... I'm starting to have second thoughts though.. lol

Cardian08

I suspect some are paid by Magnum in this forum to promote their product. to be honest, it is not about WHO makes the magnet, it is about following the instruction.
If you got it from Feller that is made by Magnum ...!

high impact

I suspect some are paid by Magnum in this forum to promote their product. to be honest, it is not about WHO makes the magnet, it is about following the instruction.
If you got it from Feller that is made by Magnum ...!

NOT ENTIRELY TRUE!

Enduramag is more problematic than any other brand I have ever used. Magnum has provided the best service to my business.

It IS a combination about WHO makes them AND HOW they are cared for!

rambo555

Hi Ratmotor. Sorry to hear about your paint issue. As imaSignr said, proper surface preparation is a must for magnetic sign blanks. Please read the attached instruction sheet. People who follow these guidelines rarely have this problem.
http://www.signwarehouse.com/Miva/PDFs/mag_sign_install_instructions_web.pdf
That said, if you would like to try the Magnum brand, p.m. me and I'll be happy to send you a roll.

You've got to be kidding me on this Jerry! Who has the time to clean and check their magnet every day! This PDF really looks like non-commitment to the product that we are selling to customers. I do realize we need to protect ourselves from those people who will not take care of their magnets. I just purchased a roll of the EnduraMAG at Sign Warehouses recommendation. I think I will have to start reading these formums before I make purchases from SW again. I kind of feel cheated as I have purchased almost everything from SW! :frustrated:

JBarraxSW

It's not that big a deal Rambo.
My wife has magnetic signs to advertise her daycare business. She keeps them in a box in the trunk of the car when she's not using them and keeps a soft cloth in the car that she uses to quickly wipe down the doors before she applies the signs.
Before she goes shopping, she wipes down the doors, pulls the magnets from the box and applies them to the car. They've generated leads for her business and have not gotten stuck to the car or damaged the paint.
It's really not as cumbersome or time consuming as it sounds. And, a few minutes of extra care is not a big deal when you're talking about protecting the appearance of what may be a $30,000 purchase.

Checkers

The proper term to use here would be "Caveat Emptor" or buyer beware.
As many of you (now) know, magnets are inherently troublesome and any number of things could go wrong if you don't follow the care and use directions provided by the manufacturer.
You can not sue the car dealership if they sold you a lemon, you have to go after the manufacturer of the car. Since Sign Warehouse is only the distributor (dealership) of the product and not the manufacturer, all they can do is offer assistance in filing a claim.
Just for kicks and giggles, I did check out Sign Warehouse's site for magnets and it seems that the Endura brand is thier cheap product and it would appear to me that the complainers got what they paid for - a cheap material that requires more maintenance than the more expensive, but similar product.

Checkers

JBarraxSW

To Pat: Yeah, I probably shouldn't do that, but our car is garaged, so it never gets that hot in the trunk.

To Checkers: Actually our EnduraMag is made by a highly reputable manufacturer and has been tested to resist migration and lift off. Because we sell so much of it, we are able to buy it at pretty hefty discounts and pass the savings on to our customers. But the quality is just as good as other brands on the market. The test data is a ten page document. I'll condense and upload it if possible.

high impact

Hey Jerry,

You send me a call tag for UPS and pay the shipping and I promise to send you a piece directly off the roll of SW enduramag that has most definitely migrated into paint on a couple of customers cars. Now mind you...it has been sitting on a shelf in the loft for a couple of years since I won't sell it anymore. I simply keep forgetting to throw it away...it should be there unless my wife allowed the kids to make a school project with it. I have multiple colors.

I'm not against getting a good deal on material but I never experienced this issue until after I acquired the liquidated inventory from a sign shop that bought their magnetic material from SW. I had always used Magnum previously and never had an issue...we started using Magnum again after two of four jobs went south with Enduramag. We have always provided magnetic care instructions but now we have the customer sign a copy stating that they received and understand the care instructions.

We always attempt to sell them a direct install but it is not always the best option for the customer.

JBarraxSW

Hi High Impact
There have been advancements made among most of the manufacturers in the past two years. I think if you give EnduraMag another try, you'll find it to be a good value. PM me and I'll arrange for a sample or two for you.

KPC

I didn't take the time to fully read all of this thread, but going by the title, I had the same problem with Sign Warehouse. Not just their magnets, but other "house" products from them as well. Plus their customer service was one of the worst that I've ever experienced.

You can read more about my past thread and their magnets here:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21261

After posting a while back on here about Sign Warehouse "house" brand of reflective material being junk "doesn't reflect, impossible to weed, etc.." someone from Sign Warehouse Pm'ed me on here saying that he'd fix the problems. So I messaged or called him (don't remember which) but I did try to get in communication with him, and never heard back from him. Initially before I even posted about the problems of the reflective, I tried calling my sales rep, he passed the phone off to his manager, the manager said that the reflective vinyl was over 30 days old, and that they couldn't take back the material because it was too "old". Pretty much what that translates to, is take the roll of material and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I still have the junk roll of reflective sitting in the corner, still in the original Sign Warehouse cardboard box. Every time I look at it, it just reminds me how awful of a business they run.

I'm not one to purposely bash a business, I understand every business can make mistakes, but I had done everything possible from a customers point of view to "work" with them. It is just that they weren't willing to "work" with me. Even after sending thousands of dollars of business their way, they treated me like a floor mat.

Someone on here recommended that I take my business to Fellers, which I have since done. Their service is top notch, they don't call to hound you every few weeks to buy stuff, they deliver to me in just 1 day, and overall it is a much better buying experience at Fellers.

:thumb:

Jim Doggett

Hi KPC,

Call or PM me tomorrow (long day; gotta find a couch and a beer). I'll get this sorted out.

Best,

Jim 800.699.5490 x 2162

I am a stubborn guy who holds a grudge...and I will not spend money with SignWarehouse because of my experiences with them years ago...with that said Jim Doggett is an absolute class act and a man of his word and SignWarehouse is lucky to have him on thier team, if Jim says he will sort it out he means it.

S

Sign-Man Signs

We have used both brands over the years. I have had the same problem with both brands. Both times it was customer error. Putting them on wet with soak residue was the problem. Even just damp, the water boils underneath and bonds to the finish. We supply the same sheet the manufacture gives us in the both. Sign Warehouse has been a good vendor to us and we have never had major problem with their magnetic materials. Blaming them is pointless. I'd call the manufacture and explain it to them.

KPC

Blaming them is pointless. I'd call the manufacture and explain it to them.

Sign Warehouse "house" brand of magnetic material is engraved "Taiwan" on the black backing. I don't know of any shop that is going to spend the time trying to contact or even deal with an overseas company to remedy the problem. The distributor (Sign Warehouse) is who should be making it right in this situation.

When a customer calls or stops by your shop because they have a problem with the material that you used (assuming this has happened), do you hand them the phone and tell them to call the manufacturer? In my opinion, you have become the distributor to the customer. It goes up the chain.

The customer contacts you, you remedy the situation.
You contact your supplies distributor; they remedy the situation for you.
If the distributor chooses to, they contact the manufacturer and the manufacturer remedies the situation for them.

The last time you purchased a car, and had a problem with it, did you call the manufacturer or just take it to the local dealer?

There is no way around the problem that Sign Warehouse sells junk "house" brand mag material. Millions of pages of lab testing or not, it is still inferior or better yet down right garbage.

Grab a cut off magnum mag material, and another cut off of the SW "house" brand, there is no comparison. The feel of the material, the amount of magnetism, there is so much of a difference.

Just because a company sells a "house" brand of product at a lesser price than a nationally known name brand manufacturer, doesn't mean that they should be able to get away with it if the product is junk.

There are many products that Walmart sells as their "house" brand, that I prefer much more than the leading nationally known name brand. I believe the quality is equal and the price is better. Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean that it has to be junk.