• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maintaining a colored background for a contour cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

trakers

Flexi Contour Cut question.

We need to create a Contour Cut file in Flexi to be printed and cut in Wasatch

The image on the left is a much simplified version of the original artwork (which has many colors, including white on a black background)

The image on the right is what I need to accomplish.
The image with a black outline then small white outline cut to the contour.

We have always from within Flexi:
- Rasterized the vector
- Made the background transparent
- Made a contour cut from that

That works, but the background is, of course made transparent when I need it to be black.

Clear as mud? Suggestions?

Attachments

• ccut-example.jpg
    ccut-example.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 131

Andy D

I'm not 100% sure what you mean because I use different rip and plot programs.
All I can do is show you how I set up the print and cut files. In Corel Draw
I create two objects, the print file and a copy of that for the plot file, I just
remove everything I don't want to plot.

Take a look at the image, I have it on a gray background to show the white out line:
attachment.php

I hope this helps....

Attachments

• contour cut.jpg
    contour cut.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 135

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You people work way too hard at this.

In Flexi after you create the contour cut line...
Separate the contour cut line then add a black outline to the object sufficiently wide that the contour line is well inside of it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I'm with Bob. Simply put a black outline around the image then put a contour cut within that black outline. You can set it to cut -.0X inside the outline rather than on or outside the line.

trakers

Thanks guys. Too close to forest to see the trees as I never knew I could separate the contour cut line. DOH

I tried what you suggested and it worked great to get the black in there. Ideas on how to get a white outline around the black, like in my example pic?

Issue is in the past when we have made contour cut graphics for here in the shop (and my kids room) and not had a small white outline they tend to lift at the edges over time. Paranoid now I guess as these are going on vehicles in a tough climate.

bob

You remind me of someone who, after being shown how to multiply 3x4, asks how to multiply 4x3.

Just put the contour cut line as far outside the image as you need to make a satisfyingly wide white outline.

player

Bob please try not to be condescending to someone who asks a question. We are all here to help and to learn...

Jackpine

I'm with Bob about the cut line.
Whatever you say about Bob his answers are right on the mark.
Learn the things you need to know from your software. All of us should be always learning.
Think before it's illegal.

player

I'm with Bob about the cut line.
Whatever you say about Bob his answers are right on the mark.
Learn the things you need to know from your software. All of us should be always learning.
Think before it's illegal.

I am not saying he is not right. I am saying sometimes he responds with a negative slant.

I appreciate his knowledge and that he shares it... I just wish he wouldn't take a jab at the OP for asking sometimes...

I do like Bob and what he contributes...

Thanks guys. Too close to forest to see the trees as I never knew I could separate the contour cut line. DOH

I tried what you suggested and it worked great to get the black in there. Ideas on how to get a white outline around the black, like in my example pic?

Issue is in the past when we have made contour cut graphics for here in the shop (and my kids room) and not had a small white outline they tend to lift at the edges over time. Paranoid now I guess as these are going on vehicles in a tough climate.
You can add a white outline, which is just another step or simply increase the offset of the contour cut outside the black outline.

bob

Bob please try not to be condescending to someone who asks a question. We are all here to help and to learn...

When it's your turn to attempt an answer you get to do it any way that it might please you to do so. When it's my turn I get to do it in whatever way pleases me. If what I might have to say upsets you in some way or perhaps merely triggers some sort of disapproval, then you're probably going to be upset. Not only do I not give a pinch of jellied bandicoot phlegm what you might think about anything or the state of your or anyone else's ever so delicate sensibilities, I take some small measure of pleasure in your apparent discomfort. We are not all here to learn or, heaven forefend, help. Some are here simply to be entertained.

When I feel that I need guidance in participating in this forum I will seek it out. Until that day, put a sock in it.

player

When it's your turn to attempt an answer you get to do it any way that it might please you to do so. When it's my turn I get to do it in whatever way pleases me. If what I might have to say upsets you in some way or perhaps merely triggers some sort of disapproval, then you're probably going to be upset. Not only do I not give a pinch of jellied bandicoot phlegm what you might think about anything or the state of your or anyone else's ever so delicate sensibilities, I take some small measure of pleasure in your apparent discomfort. We are not all here to learn or, heaven forefend, help. Some are here simply to be entertained.

When I feel that I need guidance in participating in this forum I will seek it out. Until that day, put a sock in it.

So you are here to irritate and insult people for your own maniacal pleasure, and you are not really here to participate, but rather to be rude and mean for your own amusement. OK. Glad you let us know what you are really all about.

Techman

I am saying sometimes he responds with a negative slant.

Who cares what the tone is.. The answers are correct..

The correct response to a good answer is thank you.. Not a diss from one who didn't have the answer..

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So you are here to irritate and insult people for your own maniacal pleasure, and you are not really here to participate, but rather to be rude and mean for your own amusement. OK. Glad you let us know what you are really all about.

Being from up north you probably have not had a chance to read his unauthorized autobiography.....
how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.jpg

“Take only what you need, not what you want.”
― Forrest Carter

wayne k
guam usa

bob

Have whomever is reading this stuff to you go over the following until you develop even a dim comprehension of what is being said...

I participate in this forum because I want to and I can. There is no other reason, it is certain that I am not here to do any particular thing or set of things. I freely admit that I'm sufficiently perverse as to take some small pleasure from the discomfiture of others but not for the reasons generated in your smooth reptilian cortex. If someone can be made uncomfortable via harmless words then they should be.

Learn to tell the difference between the package and what might be inside of it. A good thing wrapped in virtual barbed wire is still a good thing.

In any future communiques of this nature, try not to use any collective pronouns such as 'we' or 'us'. You speak for yourself and yourself alone, do not try to lend an aura of authority you do not possess by fraudulently representing yourself as some sort of spokesbeing for a non-existent group.

trakers

I appreciate the helpful comments. I should have just posted the actual image instead of my simplified example (I can do what I need on something like my example, just never done it on a more complex image), but the customer is anal about his logo (older gentleman, super anti-Internet, yada-yada)

I'll keep pluggin away and I'll get it here shortly, I'm sure.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Vinyldog

This seems too simple but, with Signlab-8 you can select either "offset amount" to create a white border or "bleed" to eliminate the border when you contour cut. I would think Flexi does the same thing. Is the problem because you have to use Wasatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.