• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major Failure of IJ 35-20

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
This is horrible....just got these images from my client who installed in Chicago.
Now have to jump thru 3M's hoops!!!! :banghead:

Attachments

• erase.jpg
    erase.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 162
  • wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 128
  • wrap2.jpg
    wrap2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 122
  • wrap3.jpg
    wrap3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 119

wildside

did they forget to squeegee to the top? it looks almost like you can still see the edge of the squeegee where they stopped in a few of the photos......

Letterbox Mike

What is the substrate? Was this IJ35 or IJ35C? I know from experience IJ35C does not like painted drywall or Gatorfoam or other surfaces that are either somewhat porous or not at least semi-gloss if not gloss.

Mikeifg

Is that the Matte?. If it is I believe it's not the vinyl but the surface itself. The installer should have heated it also.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Surface is Painted drywall....at least a few months old. Not sure matte or semi-gloss.
just looked at lot #'s and MFR dates...all 3 rolls...same lot. All 3 rolls...Dated 031411....nearly a year old stock on this.
60in, 200 yd rolls.

Letterbox Mike

My bet is the drywall. I've never tried to stick regular IJ35 to painted drywall but we've had IJ35C fail miserably on it. We did a test wall here at our shop and within days it was doing the exact same thing your is. We resqueegeed it one Friday afternoon and it was on the floor the following Monday when we came in.

We've also had it do this on Gator. It sticks great to sealed surfaces like ACM, aluminum, PVC, etc., but it does not like anything else.

Bummer though. Good luck with 3M... :frustrated:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I know my vendor will likely take it upon himself to make it right which I will greatly appreciate but the time and effort that went into all of this now is lost. Any ideas of a quality alternative to this stuff then? My mind is thinking Avery 3003 or even Oracal 3651. One step up possibly in the 3m Ladder....cant think of # as of right now...brain hurting over this already.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use the oracal flavor of the 6mil wall graphic vinyl for that. Found it has less tunneling issues than others when run on our QS UV printer. Need a suitable Permanent alternative at the moment.

Letterbox Mike

We use the oracal flavor of the 6mil wall graphic vinyl for that. Found it has less tunneling issues than others when run on our QS UV printer. Need a suitable Permanent alternative at the moment.

Is Phototex out of the question? It's not technically a "permanent" adhesive or a vinyl but it'll damn sure stay stuck to the wall (and should they need to remove it it won't destroy it). On wall jobs we've stopped using any vinyl product and either use real wallpaper or Phototex, depending on the application. They're the only two products we've tested yet that we can confidently say will definitely stick to a painted drywall wall. I've given up all hope for any self-adhesive vinyl product, everything we've ever tried has failed to some degree or another other than wallpaper and Phototex.

J

john1

Sorry to hear Bill, My little failure issues with the IJ35 vinyl is why i am no longer using it.

cdiesel

This doesn't look like a material failure.. Was the wall test done before install? Do one now. I'll bet it doesn't pass...

Wrong material for the job.

JoshLoring

cdiesel said:
This doesn't look like a material failure.. Was the wall test done before install? Do one now. I'll bet it doesn't pass...

Wrong material for the job.

+1

I have a feeling there's ultra cold air coming through that ceiling right there..

HulkSmash

Sorry to hear Bill, My little failure issues with the IJ35 vinyl is why i am no longer using it.

The Material didn't fail in your case. You failed by using it for long term vehicle graphics, and expecting to last.

ij35 is great, That wall could very well be damp, or maybe cold air form outside?
or maybe have a leak causing condensation. Or maybe just the paint. Hard to tell unless on site.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
ij35 is great, That wall could very well be damp, or maybe cold air form outside?
or maybe have a leak causing condensation. Or maybe just the paint. Hard to tell unless on site.

I agree....ij35 is a good material. For whatever reason at the airport gate area its doing what its doing.

Update: Got emails out now to Flexcon and Avery. Avery is saying 2120 is long term wall graphic...along with the 1050RS of course. Avery Bulletin Client is looking for a long term product to last....any other suggestions?? Im liking the wallpaper idea as well.

Last edited:
J

john1

The Material didn't fail in your case. You failed by using it for long term vehicle graphics, and expecting to last.

No sir i did not fail at all. Wanting to to last more than a few months isn't using it for long term graphics.

The reason it failed and you even said it was because the 8509 "laminate" isn't even laminate it's clear pvc vinyl. So i wasn't in the wrong by using the suggested laminate with it.