• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Marketing Firm??

wildside

i am trying to figure out a response to an email today, bear with me this is pretty long winded. so sit back with a cup of coffee or something....

we have been doing work for a client for a few years, minimal stuff, nothing worth bragging about for sure, i have always told them they need to take a step back and reorganize their image and start fresh and uniform, but they weren't haven't it after all they have been there for 10 years and doing just fine

so last week i get a call from a "marketing firm", they are taking over all the marketing and branding efforts of said company, and that company said that all things should come through my shop...great...

through this conversation she is asking all kinds of questions about pricing, this and that, they would be sending me the art, we just build it and then bill it to the said company, the marketing company is being paid outside of this and is not making any markup on anything we do...better yet

although during this conversation i am a bit skeptical about they experience they are claiming to have, saying things like they use publisher, and never got into photoshop or those other "expensive" programs....

so we get an embroidery order, done through the marketing place, finished all is good. then today i get an email from the marketing company with an attachment, saying that she designed this logo for another one of her clients, but she needs it printed by another sign company in their town that has always done their stuff for them, but they need it in a format they can scale and use better like a eps file, and asked what it would cost to clean it up, i open the file, and it is about 3rd grade art class quality, i mean i literally laughed out loud over it

the second paragraph was in reference to the first client i have worked with saying she wanted to get their logo in a useable format for future use and she tried to recreate it but wasn't having any luck and again asked what we would charge to get into a eps format (which we already have)... now this logo is beyond basic, standard generic text with a pitched roof line over as they are contractors, took us about 6 minutes to recreate it a few years ago, and this "marketing firm" doesn't have the ability to do it?

my dilema is, i feel i need to warn this client that the marketing frim they hired is nothing more than a fast talking lady that can use some big words, but her ability is some of the worst i have seen, i mean it made it into my "joke" folder next to my inspiration folder

would you keep your mouth shut and humor her and take some money here and there and produce substandard work on her account?

would you go to the original client and express the concern for their image coming from someone who cannot even recreate their own logo and they are trusting them with their identity?

would you get hard nosed with the marketing firm and challenge their abilities as too why they wouldn't be able to do such simple tasks?

any insight would be much appreciated it.....

Mosh

Sounds like an Ad Broker. Not too much above a used car salesman. Give them the deep 6 and forget aboot it!

signgal

do not keep your mouth shut! do not bash them but try to think of a diplomatic way to tell them. you will be their hero and many times i find i've only confirmed what they thought.

from your op you seem like an intelligent person with an ability to tactfully and diplomatically show them how inept they are (which most of these marketing companies are btw)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
would you keep your mouth shut and humor her and take some money here and there and produce substandard work on her account?

How bad do you need the work and what kind of work do you want to be known for... I find my standards get lower as my wallet empties.

would you go to the original client and express the concern for their image coming from someone who cannot even recreate their own logo and they are trusting them with their identity?

If you talked to the client, that would be underhanded and unethical, it's like a vendor going to your client because they "believe" you are not a pro... this is why I have a non-disclosure with my vendors.

would you get hard nosed with the marketing firm and challenge their abilities as too why they wouldn't be able to do such simple tasks?

again, depends on what you want to be known for and/or your bank account...

Techman

how inept they are (which most of these marketing companies are btw)

A marketing company is not a graphics company. But, some graphics companies do marketing consulting. Their job is to guide a client to gain market share for his products. A market company is not the one to go to for graphics and artwork.

Their job is to know market trends and develop media and print ads and develop scripts. They tell you what to say when a client calls.

He/she is supposed to gather information to create marketing campaigns & advertising for use in niche businesses. He is the one who executes the ideas for his client. That is all they do. They are not usually the graphics artists. But they will co-ordinate the art work.

For example. I did a campaign for a company. They were all messed up with no signs on the trucks, no fliers, no way to develop a relationship with the customers, nothing. I did the signs for the trucks, developed fliers for mail distribution, and taught the office how to answer the phones and put newsletters in their mailings. And more importantly, developed a complete system for running the bizz so they would look like professionals. They added on over 100 new clients within a few weeks. That is what a marketing person does.

wildside

He/she is supposed to gather information to create marketing campaigns & advertising for use in niche businesses. He is the one who executes the ideas for his client. That is all they do. They are not usually the graphics artists. But they will co-ordinate the art work.

i understand that, and agree, on the phone she tells me that they will be doing all the designing, and sending us ready to print files, yet to happen..

also the logo she did design and sent over for us to redesign, is very elementary, i would have a hard time believing that the end user would be happy with that as their image, maybe i cannot illustrate how bad it is but to describe it would be to say: an octagon, bank gothic in an arch and corel clipart handcuffs.....

and definately thanks Rick, that was one of the perspectives i needed to hear

jiarby

she might be the wife of one of his golfing buddies.... best to take the high road and NOT badmouth her.

Just give her the quote. At least she recognizes that it is OK to pay you to make EPS files for her.

Some folks are good salesman but bad techincally at doing the actual work. If you keep her looking good you may become her go-to graphics weenie and could develop into some business for you.

wildside

just a quick updated..and i am scratching my head.....

i went to the website she has listed in her contact info in the email....she is a friggin real estate agent, her marketing website is actually a real estate listings site, i just don't get this one

Last edited:

Pat Whatley

I've got a local ad agency that does great television and radio campaigns but lets their "artistic" secretary handle the little print work that they do. The work is pathetic, usually with rainbow gradients and cheap clipart. Sometimes with istockphoto.com artwork with watermarks on it, other times just Google images swipes. The only print work they do is for a local bank, usually a set of 24 banners every other month.

Monday I've got an appointment with the owner of the ad agency. I sat down and redid the last three banner layouts so I can show him the difference between banners that would work and the banners he's been ordering. I'm pretty sure I can convince him to pay me for an hour of time to start doing his artwork.

The worst thing that could happen is he kicks me out and tells me he'll find somebody else to do his work....at which point I just go directly to the bank and make the same sales presentation.

In your case I would first offer to do the work for the real estate agent/marketing person (for a fee, of course) It could easilly turn into a very nice opportunity for you.

mark in tx

I agree with Pat, this is a good chance to make the real estate/marketing company look good and increase sales by providing design work. Just be careful to set out your policies and how you work, and stick to it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Looks like I need to make my own "joke / humor" folder and "inspiration" folder. Thanks for the tip!

JB