• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Master XY-300P feeding issue.

mmicrosysm

I have a Master XY-300P that I've been using for a while, mainly small stuff to get me more familiar with it and the software. Well I needed to do a larger job today and I seem to be having an issue with the vinyl material staying straight. Any one have some input on keeping the vinyl straight for longer runs. Thank you in advance for any help.

Note: It seems to either track to the left or right.

totalimage

That has always been a problem with Master...We have one and ordered two more pinch rollers and that helped a bit better but didnt solve it...We bought a Graphtec and it is great...

mmicrosysm

Thanks for your reply totalimage, currently I'm on a small budget so this is all I'm willing to spend as a novice in sign making. Hopefully as time goes by and I get a little better at this, I'll pick up a better unit.

Ok, I have tried playing with the tension on the pinch rollers with no change. Still wants to feed the vinyl crooked. I'm thinking of making a guide to help keep the material feeding straight from the back. Any tips from those whom have had the same issue with this model would still be greatly appreciated.

Note: I am allowing the material to have a little slack so as no to pull on the roll.

signmeup

You're probably just not loading it straight. Shove the vinyl against the left side plate of the machine to align it. Just let it rub on the side plate. When you get time, practice loading the vinyl straight and you'll get better at it. I get some pretty long runs out of mine now.

totalimage

Do you have the vinyl roll on rollers on the stand ??? We called desay and they gave us the two pinch rollers. So try to call them and see if they would do the same for you.

OldPaint

keep your eye on PLOTTERS FOR SALE HERE...........with BRAND NAMES.........like ROLAND, GRAPTEC, SUMA etc.

signmeup

Is it much of a job to install the extra pinch rollers? I could use a little more "grab" when I'm cutting large sandblast masks.

mmicrosysm

You're probably just not loading it straight. Shove the vinyl against the left side plate of the machine to align it. Just let it rub on the side plate. When you get time, practice loading the vinyl straight and you'll get better at it. I get some pretty long runs out of mine now.
I have been using the front and rear hash marks to align the material. Also I have tried letting it rub against the left and right side plate but it still varies off.

totalimage I do have the vinyl loading on the rollers plus I've allowed a little slack in the material so it does not tug on the roll. I shot off an email to desay yesterday to see if they can help in this matter. I if do not get a response I'll give them a call. Hopefully like you I can get a set pinch rollers and no cost :D

Thank you guys for you input it is much appreciated.

Is it much of a job to install the extra pinch rollers? I could use a little more "grab" when I'm cutting large sandblast masks.
No, not at all. Just install the new ones like you did when you set up your unit.

keep your eye on PLOTTERS FOR SALE HERE...........with BRAND NAMES.........like ROLAND, GRAPTEC, SUMA etc.
What are the starting price points?? Might be in the market for a better unit at the right price.

signmeup

Originally Posted by signmeup
"Is it much of a job to install the extra pinch rollers? I could use a little more "grab" when I'm cutting large sandblast masks."

No, not at all. Just install the new ones like you did when you set up your unit.
My machine was fully set up out of the box except for the stand. You had to assemble the plotter? It looks like the whole end has to come off to install a pinch roller assembly. It that correct?

My machine seems to track better the longer I own it. Are you leaving the pinch rollers dissengaged when you aren't using the machine? How much does it wander in 6 feet?

mmicrosysm

Originally Posted by signmeup
"Is it much of a job to install the extra pinch rollers? I could use a little more "grab" when I'm cutting large sandblast masks."

My machine was fully set up out of the box except for the stand. You had to assemble the plotter? It looks like the whole end has to come off to install a pinch roller assembly. It that correct?

My machine seems to track better the longer I own it. Are you leaving the pinch rollers dissengaged when you aren't using the machine? How much does it wander in 6 feet?
Look at the back of the unit where the pinch rollers ride. You will see a stop screw that keeps them from falling off the end. You also notice that end is notch for easy removal and replacement of the pinch roller once that screw is removed. If I get a chance I'll take picture.

Yes I leave the pinch rollers disengaged when not in use. As for how far it goes off track. I just ran a 72" pre-feed and it went off about a 1/4", usually it will be more then 3/8".

signmeup

mmicrosysm.....I'll be damned! I didn't notice that last little notch night. I was looking at the other end (left side) and didn't notice they only come off the other end. Thanks for pointing that out.
1/4" in 6 feet is acceptable to me. That's a .040 thou error in installing the vinyl ....pretty hard to get a whole lot better than that by eye. The edge of your roll of vinyl may not have a much tighter tolerance to start with.
I never cut anything that ends up having the "pinch roller knurling" on it so I always throw away at least the outer 1/2" of vinyl anyway.

signmeup

Here's a thought: run out 6 feet of material, note the error and run it right back to where you started. Now run out the 6 feet out again without touching the pinch rollers and see if you get the exact same error. If the error is the same it's you....if it's different it's the machine.

mmicrosysm

Here's a thought: run out 6 feet of material, note the error and run it right back to where you started. Now run out the 6 feet out again without touching the pinch rollers and see if you get the exact same error. If the error is the same it's you....if it's different it's the machine.
Actually when it brought back the material after the pre-feed it ending up on the opposite side of the hash mark I used as a reference point. So the material is moving around a bit.

K, I did a couple pre-feed passes @ 72" and the material was tracking back and forth from my reference point. I wish I noticed that is was doing this right after I received it as it would have gone back.

Last edited:

signmeup

Well... if you can't send it back you've gotta fix it. There's gotta be something loose or miss-aligned or slipping. A woobly pinch roller...or bad bearing on the feed roller maybe? Could the vinyl you're running be weird? like the backing has absorbed humidity at one end or? What are you using for vinyl? Did you try cranking down the pressure on the pinch rollers? Are you cranking it through at 800 in/second? Try it slower and see if that helps. It's probably slipping if slowing it down helps.

mmicrosysm

Well Desay has responded to my email, let see if they can help me.

Well... if you can't send it back you've gotta fix it. There's gotta be something loose or miss-aligned or slipping. A woobly pinch roller...or bad bearing on the feed roller maybe? Could the vinyl you're running be weird? like the backing has absorbed humidity at one end or? What are you using for vinyl? Did you try cranking down the pressure on the pinch rollers? Are you cranking it through at 800 in/second? Try it slower and see if that helps. It's probably slipping if slowing it down helps.
I pulled both the pinch rollers and the one looks a bit crooked compared to the other which could cause my problem. I did play with the tension on the pinch rollers with no results or change in the tracking. As for speed I have not cut anything over 300mm/s

mmicrosysm

Well got a re-reply from Desay, and pretty much I'm SOL and on my own. Live and learn I guess. Looks like I'll just use this for small stuff (Glorified Cricut) and look for a better unit as I do want to go further in the sign making business.

I'll keep you all posted if I happen to get this to stay straight, as I do not give up that easily just not going to beat my head.

Last edited:

mmicrosysm

I picked up some new material (SuperCal JSI-LG Plus 24"), thought this might help plus I needed some good out door vinyl. Nope even worse, now tracks off more then 1/2" on a 45" run. Apply more pressure at the pinch rolls causes the material to separate from the backing and knurls it up in that area as well.

Techman

IF the machine is not aligned to the feed roller. IT will never track straight. Changing the pinch roller pressure will not help.

mmicrosysm

IF the machine is not aligned to the feed roller. IT will never track straight. Changing the pinch roller pressure will not help.
Next to busting out a laser alignment machine, I am placing the material in as straight as possible. And it is shifting to the left ever time.

Techman

Nothing to do with the materials. ITs the machine alignment. The head aligned with the roller.