• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maybe this will help you rethink pricing...

TimToad

I just ran across this website and was thinking... maybe you don't end up being a mid range logo/brand designer. Maybe the hand made signs are the thing that does the trick, or maybe something else you have yet to discover. But yeah, you should be getting ready for branding clients, finding better paying clients and getting paid what you're worth while being able to think about putting money away in case you end up getting old...

I looked at this site and first thing I thought was - 'why didn't I think of that?'
https://www.shittyhelmets.com

Proof that a good looking website and hipster branding will fool most of the people, but not one's who know what a smooth coat of paint and well stroked lettering should look like.

We've talked before about the plethura of hand done, slightly to mostly distressed "fonts" out there, but before I was plop my money down for a custom helmet job, I'd need to some much better execution than any of the examples on that site. Or maybe they are intentionally shiitty.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Getting off tangent... probably because it voids all the manufacturer's warranties for the helmet. Yes, it looks fun.. until there's a problem. Then the manufacturer steps in and says "since you painted the helmet with oil base paints that weaken the overall shell, we can't cover your loss. Sorry for your son, Mrs. Consumer."...
We better stop wrapping vehicles and applying coatings and placing signs where junior to run into as well...

Last edited:

Rick

Proof that a good looking website and hipster branding will fool most of the people, but not one's who know what a smooth coat of paint and well stroked lettering should look like.

We've talked before about the plethura of hand done, slightly to mostly distressed "fonts" out there, but before I was plop my money down for a custom helmet job, I'd need to some much better execution than any of the examples on that site. Or maybe they are intentionally shiitty.
Seems like a young man trying to make a living...

Well, he could go back to work for a shop and make 12.50 an hour for some burned out old phart who's not much better, get no where and end up lettering in a Trade Joes, or pay 50 k and go to LATTC, live in some overpriced area only to not get enough hours to get insurance, only to be over educated, underpaid and all the other crap you spew... thought you were cool, guess you're as big a dick as the people you bawl about....

Last edited:

TimToad

Seems like a young man trying to make a living...

Well, he could go back to work for a shop and make 12.50 an hour for some burned out old phart who's not much better, get no where and end up lettering in a Trade Joes, or pay 50 k and go to LATTC, live in some overpriced area only to not get enough hours to get insurance, only to be over educated, underpaid and all the other crap you spew... thought you were cool, guess you're as big a dick as the people you bawl about....

Whoa! That is totally uncalled for. I don't know where you got all that, but its patently unfair to lay all that at my feet and completely out of character for you.

The young man is entitled to making a living like anyone else, but his work examples are weak, lumpy and not strategically photographed well enough to hide those deficiencies in his skillsets.

I didn't create the work dynamic our craft has found itself morphed into, the average pay scale or lack of opportunity. I'm as much a testimony to a tenacious survivor of these fundamental changes within our industry as anyone. Its been a 40 year kick in the teeth to stay abreast with the changes I had nothing to do with being implemented.

The things you seem to want to hang on my back are endemic throughout our economy and the very nature of work is changing at a pace, that most of us will be unprepared to cope with.

Rick

Whoa! That is totally uncalled for. I don't know where you got all that, but its patently unfair to lay all that at my feet and completely out of character for you.

But it's not out of character for you... I've got 40 years in the business too, and very similar experience... you already knew that...

If I was worried about the execution, I never would have posted that site... It was the idea... like Neato's hand made sign website.

Neato is not ready for Kickcharge type of work. He may not be ready for his hand made stuff either, but like Joey from s-helmets, he has to start somewhere. Nitpick all you want but the point is/was and has been in all my posts on this thread is, Neato has the raw skill to do better work, he just has to find the information to handle the work, and then the right way to market it.

ams

I just ran across this website and was thinking... maybe you don't end up being a mid range logo/brand designer. Maybe the hand made signs are the thing that does the trick, or maybe something else you have yet to discover. But yeah, you should be getting ready for branding clients, finding better paying clients and getting paid what you're worth while being able to think about putting money away in case you end up getting old...

I looked at this site and first thing I thought was - 'why didn't I think of that?'
https://www.shittyhelmets.com

That is pretty funny. I love how he uses the same images through out the website, they are around 7 or so photos and just recycled.

clarizeyale

I personally am enjoying my current situation and the fruits of my labor as much as at any time in my 40 year career as a signmaker. As I pursue my short term goal of greatly increasing the amount of hand lettering and more traditional sign processes, I expect that enjoyment to grow even more.

I just want to say... my generation has been BOOMING with increased interest in hand lettering signs/murals and the likes. I hope you get to see and be a part of this :) For ex. Letter West just happened. I think it's more curated for letterers who offer their styles as a service but it's great that traditional sign making is making a big comeback