• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Cg-130 fx plotter

ATTTR

I am new to this machine, as well as print graphics. I am a graphic designer by education, but am in a new position where I also create vinyl graphics.

I have been having issues with the plotter that is putting me days behind in my work.
Currently, no matter what vinyl material I use, the plotter is not completing cuts. It's also leaving what I call "picks". Raised bits of vinyl where the motion wasn't followed through. It's making wedding IMPOSSIBLE. The plotter was working fine until our IT guy added more memory to my computer and messed up all my ports. (The computer and the plotter were not communicating.) Once we got that fixed was when I began having the issues with the cuts and weeding. I've tried everything I know (Which isn't much since have only been at this 3 months and had NO formal training) from a visit from a tech guy to fix our other mimaki printer. I have replaced the blade, made sure everything is clean and in working order, the machine is balanced and everything is lined up properly. Like I said, no problems til the IT guy added memory and unplugged everything then plugged it all back in.

Can anyone help me with a solution to get back my smooth plotting/cutting and weeding?

I am in dire straits here and can't get a tech out to look at it for another week and the phone help is no help at all.
You can only leave messages and pray they call you back. :covereyes:

Thanks!

round man

if you replaced the blade read up in the manual about blade offset settings,...the offset is the difference between dead center axis of a swivel blade and the tip,....the machine allows for an offset to compensate for the difference to complete cuts with a tangential trailing swivel knife blades,...it usually is a minute measurement but very important if you want weeding to go smoothly,....

ddubia

I use a Mimaki CG160FX. Typically, for a 37 degree blade cutting intermediate vinyl and digital print vinyl my speed is set to 20, the pressure at 113 (this will vary with each machine, blade installation and material), and my offset is set to 0.3.

I don't know how much that may help but it does seem that your offset might need attention.

ATTTR

Ah, ok, so let me give more info so it might make more sense.

I am using a 40 blade. It's the only blade in the office. I do a lot of cutting that requires attention to detail, small letters sometimes, and a lot of script fonts.
I was told by the company that services the machines (When I finally got a reply a month ago for another problem) that a 40 blade was good for what I was doing.

I am not sure what a half-cut is, what would you use something like that for anyway?

My settings are currently 20 95 40, which was doing a great job for the last month (since getting a new blade and new holder).
I tried the offset at 35 and 45, it only lets me adjust in 5's. If there is a way around this, I don't know it.

I generally use Oracal 651 or 3M 7125 material if that helps.

I have a co-worker who has not used the machines since we got them 7 years ago. He insists that the arrow on the holder must go in a specific direction, but I don't see anything about that anywhere in the manual.

Also, we have determined it's not the computer or program because when we do the test cut and square cut from the machine, the same problem still happens.
(I am still waiting for the company that services my machines to get back to me with a resolution.)

Please let me know if you guys need any more info. I am not even sure what more I can relay to make this clearer.
Unfortunately my training on all of this has been subpar and spotty at best. So I do appreciate the help. If there are tutorials on this stuff, I will glad glue myself to the computer to watch them.

Thanks!!

round man

one more thing to check is that the blade holder is secure in the blade carriage and isn't loose to move around during the cut,...check the blade holder for tiny scraps of vinyl around the tip of the blade that might hinder free swivel movement,...they get stuck in there when cutting small detailed script sometimes,...

Shogun

having the same problem..did you solve it?

I have been having very similair issues, I cant cut anything detailed

I'm going to try different locations for the arrow on top of the blade holder but it makes no sence that that would cause it....but on the other hand why is it there?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I have been having very similair issues, I cant cut anything detailed

I'm going to try different locations for the arrow on top of the blade holder but it makes no sence that that would cause it....but on the other hand why is it there?
I don't think that arrow's direction makes a bit of difference. It's a swivel blade, it'll turn to cut in whichever direction it's moving.
If adjusting your settings doesn't work, it may very well be that your blade or blade holder need to be replaced. Yes, the blade holders wear out.