• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV33 "Special Firmware"

ryanobeirne

I have a Mimaki JV33 that apparently has a "special version" of firmware (4.40) that cannot be updated with Mimaki's most recent version of their Firmware Updater application. Does anyone else have a "special version" of Mimaki firmware? What's so special about it, and how can I update it?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Around 4.40 Mimaki made a major change to the mainboard in JV33 machines. As far as I know once you install firmware beyond 4.40 the process is not reversible - in other words it will not be possible to downgrade. Also - up to at least version 5.30 (not sure if there is any newer) the firmware upgrade tool is FW Tool 3 Version 2.3

From the 4.60 notes -"
JV33-130/160/260 and TS3-1600 Main Firmware Upgraded
On this firmware version and later, ROM for IJT(ZHEJIANG)-manufactured JV33-130/160A TypeBⅡ becomes a common ROM of JV33 series. When F/W is updated to Ver.4.60 via an update tool of RLP5 Ver.2.10, it is unable to downgrade its latest version to previous versions because of reasons described below. - F/W Ver4.60 is adapted to white and silver of ES3 ink. Therefore, a regardless of whether white and silver of ES3 ink are used, users can not downgrade F/W version to previous versions which are not adapted to such inks."

Also - from version 5.0 firmware - its somewhat hard to determine due to the engrish - "and the device cannot be operated" - they do not indicate if you get the error before or after loading the wrong firmware. See the attached. It sounds as though you risk bricking your mainboard if you get it to take the newer firmware that is not compatible with the mainboard. The only solution appears to be to contact Mimaki Engineering which only a dealer can do since end users are not supposed to have access to firmware updates or the tools to install them.

and "When F/W is updated to Ver.5.00 via an update tool of RLP5 Ver.2.10 and later, it is unable to downgrade its latest version to previous versions because of reasons described below.
-1) F/W Ver5.00 is adapted to SB60 ink. Therefore, a regardless of whether SB60 ink is used, users can not downgrade F/W version to previous versions which are not adapted to such inks.
-2) F/W Ver5.00 is adapted to the common main circuit board. Therefore, a regardless of whether such main board is used, users can not downgrade F/W version to previous versions which are not adapted to such inks."

I'll also say this - I have access to all the firmware. I'm still running version 2.20 with zero problems. The plus with 2.20 - I can use a generic DX5 (non Mimaki OEM) printhead. Any firmware above 2.20 and a JV33 can only use an OEM Mimaki head for more than twice the price.

Attachments

• fwupdt.jpg
    fwupdt.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,208

ryanobeirne

Thanks for the info, SightLine. The reason I ask is because I read That Mimaki recently released a new firmware version for the JV33 (http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?113995-New-JV33-Firmware-with-MAPS) that has MAPS (Mimaki Advanced Pass System) which is basically like a Roland Intelligent Pass Control or a Mutoh Intelligent Interweave to prevent certain types of banding. I don't really know if it's worth all the hassle, but I would like to know if anyone can give some feedback on it.

Also, I'm not sure about how the firmware can be "adapted" to a particular type of ink. By the way, I have a bulk ink system (Manoukian Digistar Elite Dye Sublimation, Dual CMYK) with a chip emulator (InkControl16 v4.72) emulating SB52 cartridges. Does the firmware actually change the way the head expels ink based on (assumed) ink type? And if I read correctly, does that mean F/W v5.00 will not work with SB cartridges before SB60? If my chip emulator can emulate an SB60 cartridge, would it work with it then? Does it really even matter what type of ink the emulator says is installed?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yes - the voltages and firing rate is adjusted depending on the type of ink the printer "thinks" it has installed. This is due to the different formulations of ink having different viscosities, rates of drying, etc. While you could use SS21 permanent chips and run dye sub inks the results would probably be less than optimal.

No idea on the new firmware. Maybe they are opening firmware updates up to end users for install. That firmware tool on the Mimaki Japan site is over 60MB!

I just looked on the dealer section. It appears as though they added the MAPS function in version 5.50 then quickly updated that to 5.60 due to a bug then quickly updated that to 5.70 due to another bug. They deleted 5.50 and 5.60. 5.70 is the most current version which was released to dealers 10/15/2013.

The MAPS functionality does sound very intriguing but I'm scared of bricking my mainboard. I've upgraded mine to as high as 4.0 but then downgraded back to 2.20 a couple of years ago to use a non-oem DX5 head since I could get one for a few hundred versus $1800. That particular bit would also hold me up right now as I'd have to replace a perfectly good 100% working print head with a new oem Mimaki DX5 head.

ryanobeirne

Good to know. I suppose I'll wait on upgrading firmware, at least until I can get some confirmation on the technicalities of compatibility.

As far as your non-oem head, how different could it be from oem? It seems like the only thing separating the two could be a serial number (at least from a software perspective). If so, I think it would be a fairly easy hack to remove that check from the firmware (for an experienced programmer, of course).

And why would Mimaki waste lines of code in the firmware to detect such a thing in the first place? I can't imagine they gain anything from such a trivial differentiation. Doesn't Epson make the DX5? Why does Mimaki care if you buy that or a knock-off?

heyskull

I can only say one thing about manufactures firmware updates.
20% (or maybe a lot less) are for to update printing issues.
The other 80% is to stop us using third party parts and inks in the machine.

It seems that the manufacturers are not very forthcoming when you ask them what their new firmware updates.
That should answer it all

SC

Neil

Yep I'm with you guys on this.

The MAPS sounds like a good idea - indeed my CJV30 needs this, as certain colours like blues and greys are prone to banding.
However, I'm more wary about what they don't tell you is in the firmware.
I'm quite happy knowing I can use generic heads and third party inks if I want thankyou.
It's my machine and I'll do what I want with it.

Neil

Yes - the voltages and firing rate is adjusted depending on the type of ink the printer "thinks" it has installed. This is due to the different formulations of ink having different viscosities, rates of drying, etc. While you could use SS21 permanent chips and run dye sub inks the results would probably be less than optimal.

Interesting to hear this. I suspected this was happening when I had to switch from full solvent to ES3 inks. Once I told the printer the new inkset, then tried to profile it using my old starting point printmode, I couldn't get full saturated colours anymore. Especially reds. I was convinced it was firing differently. In fact I had to base my new profiles on 720 x 1080 instead of 720 x 720. Now I know why!

I'm going to swap the chips for SS21 solvent ones and re-set the printer to think it's using SS21, see if I can get it printing red at 720 x 720 again.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
540 x 1080 will always work best on a JV33 or CJV. That is the native resolution of the DX5 print head...... 720x720 is the native resolution of the older DX4 head machines and is really not an ideal resolution on these. Not to say that you should not also be able to get good results with a 720x720 profile that is done well though. We pretty much exclusively use a 540x1080 12p for higher quality and 540x720 4p for speed but banding gets tougher to avoid at the lower resolution.

From what I could determine in a detailed inspection of both IH47V and IH33V DX5 print heads, other than the OEM one having a green connector as far as I could tell there was no logic on the heads. The only difference being a different arrangement of resistors. It is my belief that if I were to go deeper and determine the specific resistance values on each that you could (not easily done though) technically change the smd resistors on a generic head and a JV33 would then see the expected resistance values and accept the head. This is not at all an easy task though as the head board is potted with a silicone goop which is very hard to remove without damaging the board. It can be done though - in an older thread on here I showed photos of both heads with the board fully exposed. Plus you would also need skills in desoldering/soldering ultra-tiny surface mount devices.

nashtradamus

Downgrading 4.6 firmware

Hi All,

I confirm having downgraded main pcb E105997 from firmware 4.6 to firmware 2.20 to be able to use a 3rd party dx5 head.
FW has to be downgraded using Fware update tool and correct prm file needs to be used. The head works without the device construction error.

However, my easyresetv3 chip resetter which worked on fware 4.0 will not work once upgraded to fware 4.6 even after downgrade to 2.20. i had to change to a new easyresetv3 with newer firmware. This chip resetter still works on another machine with FW 4.0

Not sure if the firmware can be downgraded from 4.6 on main pcb E106478 though.

Hope this can help someone.

felipefp

Have any way to use alternative dx5 heads in mimaki jv33-160?
If i do a firmware downgrade to 2.20v i can use any type of dx5 heads?
And about IH47V and IH33V, i can use both?

Regards

regeditt

hello
hi guys..
my mimaki printer jv33 160 firmware version 5.30.1

I can not downgrade to version 2.20

I want to lower it to 2.20

Send you to version 2.20

my email ucarmak@gmail.com

thank you very very much

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
hi guys..
my mimaki printer jv33 160 firmware version 5.30.1

I can not downgrade to version 2.20

I want to lower it to 2.20

Send you to version 2.20

my email ucarmak@gmail.com

thank you very very much

The firmware you have installed will not allow you to downgrade so it's not worth trying anyway. Mimaki knows why you want to downgrade which is why they put in the protection. Everything you try will fail short of de-soldering the NVRAM and re-soldering a blank one on.

Downgrading 4.6 firmware

Hi All,

I confirm having downgraded main pcb E105997 from firmware 4.6 to firmware 2.20 to be able to use a 3rd party dx5 head.
FW has to be downgraded using Fware update tool and correct prm file needs to be used. The head works without the device construction error.

However, my easyresetv3 chip resetter which worked on fware 4.0 will not work once upgraded to fware 4.6 even after downgrade to 2.20. i had to change to a new easyresetv3 with newer firmware. This chip resetter still works on another machine with FW 4.0

Not sure if the firmware can be downgraded from 4.6 on main pcb E106478 though.

Hope this can help someone.
hi all, send me please firmware 2.20

kensign

HI ALL. mimaki cjv 30-130. I have been looking for the firmwares and FWUpdateTool. could anyone share with me and I am going to have a try to downgrade, My is 3.00 version ,try lower to 2.20 or under.I see some firmeware for jv33. Could they be used by cjv 30.
my email signtech@shaw.ca Thanks very much..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
BOTH are different. JV33 and CJV30 firmware and PRM files are not compatible with each other. While the machines use many common components and you can technically load the firmware and prm from one to the other, the machines will probably malfunction in some way if you load the firmware for the other. In the case of JV33 firmware on a CJV30 it might actually work but would probably have no cutting capabilities.

I'd also suggest that bumping 3+ old threads all asking for the same thing it more likely to annoy other than to get them to want to help. Just one post is enough.

I should also mention this. Might save some people some trouble. Not sure if this is why you want to downgrade but more often than not it is. Used to be easy to get an non-oem DX5 head and stick it in a JV33 or CJV30 and get running for cheap. The problem is now Epson also "locks" heads so nearly all non-OEM (will have a black connector instead of green) heads will still not work properly, even with downgrading the firmware.

Last edited:

LionelMSA

Hi Sightline

I wonder could you please help me, I am based in South Africa and I have a CJV30-160, I keep getting a error 202 on my machine, I have changed heads between 3 different OEM heads (Green connector) and have the same issue, Head memory 128mb etc, after pressing enter it boots up does its thing, when I press test for test print, it throws error 7 at me with all 3 heads?, also I have version 3.1 firmware and would like to downgrade to version 2.2, could you possibly help me do this?

Thank you for reading my message, I would appreciate any assistance

regards Lionel