• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Minority Business Enterprise a factor in evaluating bids for city projects?

Mikeifg

I agree that at one time this type of practice was necessary, but like the food stamps and gov't assistance it needs to go.

anotherdog

All discrimination whether for or against minorities breeds resentment. As a middle aged, self employed white guy I hate being at the bottom of the pile. I hate never getting a tax break, being too busy scraping a living to spend all my time screaming at government to give cash to my special interest group. I am the only remaining universal butt of all jokes, I'm the clumsy dolt in the TV commercial and the one who pays all the bills.

I understand I'm the pillar that holds up society, but when you keep tilting the table so the food slides away... Even farmers know to keep the livestock fed.

ProWraps

when i worked for the state of california, all the buildings cafeterias were owned by disabled women. the woman that ran the one in our building was stone cold blind. the contracts were handed out to only women with disabilities. no men period.

i know a guy that owns a computer business here. he made a young kid that got blown up in iraq his business partner for no other reason than the millions of $ he instantly made in gov contracts. the kid was a great kid, but litteraly did nothing other than be the contract token.

SignManiac

I'm in the process of looking for an 18 year old Asian bride. I figure I can score twice on contracts and at home :)

btropical.com

So you're saying that if I marry a black woman, with a child, who is a veteran injured in combat, we live in a housing project and she owns the business we're almost guaranteed to have Bill Gates kind of money in the next five years?

Make sure you are also 1 /10 th :toasting: american indian

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There are large DOD contracts going out for the build up here.
We have contractors all the way from Alaska winning some of the bids using their Native Alaskan status to move up the list.

wayne k
guam usa

binki

It depends on your location but you first need to be certified as a WMDV (woman/minority/disabled vet) which normally requires 3 years in business and majority ownership by a WMDV. There are a lot of certification agencies and once you are certified with one you can use that for others.

Out in these parts 40% of government business is dog-eared for WMDV with a 5% preference so you can bid 5% over a non-WMDV and get the gig.

https://www.bidsync.com/
http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/05/women-owned-business-certification.html

juan45215

I find this conversation very Interesting. We have been in business for 9 years and we have never gotten a contract unless we were the lowest bidder and I don't think that we should. In fact even when local governments announce that they have a certain percentage target for minorities and women, they also tell us that there is no consequence for not making the goal and no reward for accomplishing the goal. They also emphasis that they cannot legally award contracts based on race or gender.
So I would say to everyone who claims that this happens all the time - lawyer up and get paid.

Typestries

Just like Pat, I have a client in heavy/road construction doing the same thing. His "wife's company" just bought a tidy "little" home in the keys after completing a major sidewalk/road rebuilding job in a lovely city just east of Philly. He's now doing more work through "her" company than "his" and they both bid on the same jobs.

And another client in the same field, just scored a $40mil road/bridge project the same way. Only diff there, his daughter owns the company. It'll prob be $80 mil when the add ons are done.

Yet another system broken in our country. Or at least a system that's gamed everyday.
C'mon, you haven't had the conversation with your wife, lol?