• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

More of Phillip's handywork...

skyhigh

hell, he didn't see the highwall he just strolled off of.

From what I've seen of Phillips work, he is top notch!!! Sorry the both of you are taking a beating on this one. I would also like to see something else besides that particular tape measure.

CES020

You said you struggled with how to deal with the concept of precision into the logo. How about something along these lines. I know the fonts don't work, but it's just a quick 5 minute concept. You could certainly throw some dimension lines in there or something. It would definitely need something else to make it pop, something I'm not capable of adding, which is why I send things to Phillip as well :)

You are also aware that a Micrometer (used for precision measuring) is shaped just like a "P"????

Attachments

• Precision.jpg
    Precision.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 115
  • micrometer.jpeg
    micrometer.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 103

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The micrometer is so overused for businesses with the name 'Precision' it's not even funny. Plus, it doesn't relate at all to what I do.

CES020

The micrometer is so overused for businesses with the name 'Precision' it's not even funny. Plus, it doesn't relate at all to what I do.

....and a tailors tape does? I didn't say you had to use it, I just said it's the right shape.

Deaton Design

Would you be inclined to let us see some of the other choices Philip gave you? Im not knocking this one, but would like to see how you got to this point.:)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
....and a tailors tape does? I didn't say you had to use it, I just said it's the right shape.

I wasn't attacking your suggestion. I considered a micrometer pretty early on and just decided against it due to the number of businesses that use it. But the same is true with the crosshairs I used - a ton of businesses use it. So that was a bad decision also. A sewing tape doesn't really represent what I do, no. But as I posted earlier, I do actually use one when I'm surveying to obtain the circumference of a pylon support so I can determine the diameter. So I liked the idea initially, but as I've had time to mull it over, I'm not so sure that's what I want for my logo.

Would you be inclined to let us see some of the other choices Philip gave you? Im not knocking this one, but would like to see how you got to this point.:)

:smile: I'd be fine with it, but I think that would turn into a massive popularity contest and I don't want this thread blowing up with opinions on which one I should use. I ultimately have to decide on the one I want and go from there. Besides, the designs are Phillip's property, so it's really not my place to post them.

This is the point I'm at right now: I asked Phillip to design a retro logo. He gave me quite a few to choose from. I narrowed it down to three that I really liked and ultimately decided on the one with the "Sewing tape 'P'". I've had some time to look at it and even had business cards printed. So despite the time (Phillip's) and money I've spent on this, I find myself leaning toward one of the other designs he did. It has brighter colors, a non-script font, and looks a little more modern. I've given it a lot of thought and I don't know if retro is really what I want as a representation of my business. I think a clean, sharp design conveys what I do better than retro/script.

I'm pretty positive if I posted the design I'm leaning toward, the overwhelming consensus would be: "You picked the other one over THIS??". It's quite nice and after a lot of contemplation, I think it fits better. I'm supposed to talk with Phillip later today or tomorrow, so we'll see where that takes us.

CES020

No problem. I have an ex-wife I felt the same way about. Once I bought it, I wish I picked the other one :)

SignManiac

To me, precision brings to my mind, an illustration of the curiosity rover sitting on the surface of Mars...

visual800

Its your logo and if you like it then it's a done deal. Theres no need in considering others or asking opinions of it. If I were to throw my logo on here Im sure it would be wrung through the wringer. But I like it and I dont care for others opinions on it. Best of luck sir

SignManiac

Its your logo and if you like it then it's a done deal. Theres no need in considering others or asking opinions of it. If I were to throw my logo on here Im sure it would be wrung through the wringer. But I like it and I dont care for others opinions on it. Best of luck sir

+1

Just because it has received a few negative comments does not mean you should not use it. Besides, if you do exceptional work your business will do just fine in spite of your logo. I've gone through many logos in my career and not one has impacted my company in any negative way, and in some way I've not been completely happy with any of them that I used.

You know what they say about opinions anyway... just like cars, everybody has one. I just switched my logo too and it isn't anything fantastic, but I really like this one the best.

Move on and make some money now!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay Moze........ I finally figured it out................... :peace!:

There's nothing really wrong with the logo. You just are in the wrong business. You should start taking in mending and altering clothing and for a little extra 'Umphf', give it a little Italian flair and call it

Precision-O & Son
Fine Measuring and Work Completed.... Same-a-Day Service-O

:supersmilie:

Moze

Precision Sign Services

+1

Just because it has received a few negative comments does not mean you should not use it. Besides, if you do exceptional work your business will do just fine in spite of your logo. I've gone through many logos in my career and not one has impacted my company in any negative way, and in some way I've not been completely happy with any of them that I used.

You know what they say about opinions anyway... just like cars, everybody has one. I just switched my logo too and it isn't anything fantastic, but I really like this one the best.

Move on and make some money now!

I agree 100%. It's more of a "had time to sink in" thing. Like I said, I got the business cards printed and I started working on address labels, email sig, etc. and just found myself second-guessing having a retro logo. I still like the script, I like the idea of the tape as a "P" (although I had planned on having that modified to a vintage surveyors tape, which would nail what I do), I'm just not so sure on it being retro. The pictures in my portfolio look modern and clean and sharp. I just think the logo needs to blend better with that.

Okay Moze........ I finally figured it out................... :peace!:

There's nothing really wrong with the logo. You just are in the wrong business. You should start taking in mending and altering clothing and for a little extra 'Umphf', give it a little Italian flair and call it

Precision-O & Son
Fine Measuring and Work Completed.... Same-a-Day Service-O

:supersmilie:

I like the idea but then I'd have to raise a son and learn to sew - both of which sound like huge headaches. :frustrated:

HulkSmash

I still think it's a great logo. I'd say about 85% of the thousands of members we have here.
Never thought about it, but i guess the roll measuring tape thing doesn't yell sign shop... but then again i use those to measure semis and RV's....

As long as you're happy, i guess it works.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I still like it also...just not sure I want something that retro and "scrolly". I keep going back to one of the other designs he did and just really like how sharp and clean it is. I feel it's a better representation.

The surveyors tape below is along the lines of what I was thinking of having the "sewing" tape replaced with (translated to a drawing of course), but 90% or more of my work is installation, so that's why I'm leaning toward a different design entirely.

Attachments

• 1_f85dd3a7c506a5ceb4fd06db0d0bc779.jpg
    1_f85dd3a7c506a5ceb4fd06db0d0bc779.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 118

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At a quick glance, that thing is gonna look like you repair flying saucers..... I thought you were heading towards sewing and kids ??

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Stop it Gino! lol

Just got off the phone with Phillip and we're taking another go at this....a little less retro, sharper, cleaner lines.